Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2014, 13:06   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45
Bene 473

Hi Everyone,
I am looking at purchasing a Beneteau 473 and I am interested in your experience with these boats, be it good or bad. I also want to know the things to look for....
Has anyone had experience of buying one from a charter company like Moorings? Was the price 'right'? Was the boat as good as their description and did it meet your expectations?
Thanks for your advice!
Davealso
Davealso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 13:24   #2
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: Bene 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davealso View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am looking at purchasing a Beneteau 473 and I am interested in your experience with these boats, be it good or bad. I also want to know the things to look for....
Has anyone had experience of buying one from a charter company like Moorings? Was the price 'right'? Was the boat as good as their description and did it meet your expectations?
Thanks for your advice!
Davealso
I have never owned one or bought from a charter company but one thing I'd consider is how easy it would be to sell any Beneteau when the time comes. The market is really saturated with them and the prices are all over the place. It would have to be a really rock bottom price for me to buy that brand of boat. I'm not saying they are not nice boats but I'd be worried about how much I'm going to lose upon resell when buying a production boat that size.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 14:12   #3

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I guess I'm biased, but I like the Farr ones better! They sail better than these ones. Typically the sails will be crap, even if in good order - the charter co's use cheap sails. A remarkable performance improvement can be made with new sails and properly tuned rigs.

Many of these have completed long voyages, including Circumnavigations, and higher latitudes. Some consider them too light for crossing oceans.
Look at the floor grid around the keel, make sure it's fully attached, no sign of stress. Check Bulkhead seams for movement/damage. Check chainplates etc, and deck to hull joint. If it all looks ok, it probably is, but get a survery before purchase.

Interior joinery is made to a price, it will show wear more than some.

Good luck!
Old 15-02-2014, 11:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

I have a 2001 473. It is the two cabin/2 head version which is a nice layout for personal use. The charter versions of the 473 are typically 4 cabin/4 head layouts. I don't see how you can stuff all that in there but that's just me. That would be a potential issue for resale as well.

What year is it? Is it equipped well? What do you plan to do with it? The charter company boats typically have a minimal set of electronics and high engine hours. These would be things to check thoroughly with a surveyor who is not affiliated with the charter company. You may end up putting a fair bit of money into the electronics depending on your intended use. If the engine needs to be rebuilt that's a significant expense.

The 473 is one of Beneteau's better built boats and generally gets good reviews from their owners. I like mine but I only sail in the Great Lakes so I can't say how well they hold up in salt water or rougher conditions. I looked at several of the 473's that were for sale by the charter companies but ended up buying a freshwater boat from private sellers. I'm happy with that decision.
No Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 11:54   #5

I think the Moorings allows you to review the service records. I would... Twice I've seen charter boats sitting on a reef waiting for help. Sometimes people just point the boat where they want to go without looking at the chart for what's in between! Keel and support hull/grid damage may be in the notes.
As mentioned... sails and engine are a big expense.... some of those never stop working for more than a day or so. If you are prepared for all that, then no problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 12:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Are Moorings still selling the 473's, there cannot be many left in their fleet by now.
I'm a tiny bit biased as I have 473 (not ex charter), but I cannot really compare it with another boat as I this is the only big boat I have owned.
I like it, no major problems at all.
If you are set on a 473, consider upping your budget a bit and look for a 2 cabin version. I think in the long run, a non ex charter boat will work out cheaper than one from a charter fleet
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 07:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473 clipper
Send a message via Skype™ to Bdehondt

I will sell my 473. Now in st vincent. Never chartered, brand new sails, new antifouling in 1 week and ready for ocean sailing. Ssb radio + pactor, new chartplotter .....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bdehondt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 09:44   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45

Where can I see some details?
email; ealson@callplus.net.nz
Regards
David
Davealso is offline   Reply With Quote