Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 17:05   #1

Boat: Bostrøm 31
Beginner going live abroad, need a tad help...

Hello to everyone of you!
I want to buy myself a sailboat (mono), live in it an sail the world... I have NO sailing experience at all, never been on a sailboat. But I love the seas and want to live here more. I work as a fisherman now so i'm out at sea most of the year already.
I want to get a boat that could be sailed by one person with not too much hassle..
Iv'e read a bit about sailing an found out that i can't just buy a ok looking boat and go everywhere.. I need help.. I do not need luxury, i would be a shoestring-sailor i think.. Or, at least on a tight budget.
As far as i understand so far in my reading i would be best to get a -30fot boat to start with, and maybe +30 later sometime..
My budget on buying will be around 30k, hopefully this includes fixing and making it sea worthy. I know this is tight, but i also know it's possible with ease.
So what do i need to look for to get a boat worthy of big seas and long travels?
I hope to buy this during next summer or sooner.
Oh, and i'm a 28 y/o hippie dude from norway..
I might have 1 other person with me, at least from time to time, and ofc friends wanting to go on shorter trips. But it will mainly be for 1-2 people.
I'm sure i have 1000 more questions, but this will do for now^^

Peace
cner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Beginner going live abroad, need a tad help...

Welcome aboard cner...

You certainly have a fair amount of sea time so you know what to expect out there.

In general the compromise are cost, performance and ruggedness.

Based on your description I would be looking at 28-32 feet of full keel, moderately heavy displacement sloop or ketch. You won't be winning lots of races but these boats will take care of you well.

I personally am a Westsail 32 fan. Lots of similar boats.

Good luck!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 23:23   #3

thanks, i will look into it ^^
Old 21-09-2012, 02:48   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cner View Post
thanks, i will look into it ^^
I think Ex-Calif is spot on with the Westsail 32 style (and age / price) - but an American boat, so likely rare in Europe.

But worth reading up on nonetheless (lots on the Internet about them - including plenty of owners). Every boat has pros and cons, so I am not saying that anything more modern would not suit - but that at your price point you are looking at older and that kinda dictates the design (essentially that means less interior space for the length - more modern boats sell to a large degree on interior volume).

For further reading have a look at the archive on Yachtsnet (boats mostly European):-

Archive boat data from Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

I will give a plug for my own Seadog 30 (both versions - differing keels are in the archive). Also I would have a serious look at the Westerly Pentland / Renown / Berwick / Longbow range (all the same hull!), a generation later (1970's) than my own Seadog 30 so a bit more "modern". Looks bely the sailing / seaworthiness ability (to some she looks a bit like a caravan!)......they built a lot (various keels and mast configirations), so always a few for sale - albeit by now in varying conditions (and that will include some that should not touch! - but that same for any boat, of that generation - or younger!).

On your budget the key will be buying well - i.e. not buying someone else's problems, at least not unknowingly. Easy to get sucked into lots of bills........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 04:18   #5

i used to drive around europe a few years ago, and iv'e had alot of cars, so i already learned NOT to buy somebody elses problems... I did that once too many times. I will look for the best buy and price + condition, equipment and so on.
Old 21-09-2012, 15:53   #6

Boat: Westsail 32

OP is looking to spend 30k for boat and upgrades, won't get much of a Westsail 32 for that kind of money.
Old 21-09-2012, 16:14   #7

Boat: Niagara 35

I'd buy an inexpensive boat between 25-30' with none of the bells and whistles for cheap and sail the hell out of it on weekends for a season. Then you'll have the skills you want and you'll know what you want in a boat. Then you can buy a bigger boat and start sailing further and longer.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 19:49   #8

The thing is i have no weekends, I either work, or don't work. Atm i'm out at sea and i'll be out here until march next year, then i'll have either enough cash to buy and go sailing, or stay out and work more.
I'll try to find a european buildt boat that looks kinda the same and have most of the same specs as the american boats you are advising on getting.
Old 21-09-2012, 20:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

This 1976 Cape Dory 30 ketch is for sale in our marina in SW Florida. The owner takes it out frequently daysailing and putters on it the rest of the time. It is older, but the price is right -- $24,900. Click here for the link with specs and more photos. And here's a photo:

Just a thought, don't know that there are any Cape Dory's for sale where you are, but add it to your research list!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 21:02   #10

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Your Norwegian, appease the gods and buy a 33ft or so Colin Archer Ketch!
Old 21-09-2012, 21:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
This 1976 Cape Dory 30 ketch is for sale in our marina in SW Florida. The owner takes it out frequently daysailing and putters on it the rest of the time. It is older, but the price is right -- $24,900. Click here for the link with specs and more photos. And here's a photo:

Just a thought, don't know that there are any Cape Dory's for sale where you are, but add it to your research list!
OK, that traditional long cruising hull is exactly what you should be looking for. While Cape Dorys are a very nice boat you will find your ancestors were pioneering the fore running designs hundreds of years earlier to cope with the rough North Sea.
Old 22-09-2012, 00:25   #12

Hey hippie dude, you will also find a lot of Colin Archers around 30ft. These boats are extremely seaworthy and will take you around the world albeit slowly but comfortably. You will find most are wood. Most people on this forum are probably about to freak, but the Norwegians are renowned boat builders and the designs are stout.

If you want to know more about how to sail a wood boat around the world on a minimal budget have a look at the books and website of Lin and Larry Pardey. Oh, with a wood boat you could act all eco friendly and you might even be preserving part of your maritime heritage.

Another cheap option up your way are steel boats. Their tough and sell cheap. The Dutch have an excellent reputation making then. All you need to do is learn to weld, which as a fisherman is a handy skill.

I hope my comments are helpful, Shane.
Old 22-09-2012, 07:46   #13

It was the 'wood' part on the Colin Archer that worried me.. Welding and so is no problem, i know that already, i'm (not to brag but) very handy in many skills..
The Colins are from 30k up to very expensive.. I found one for 16k, 39 fot needs some work, but parts come with it.
FINN Båt
looks good though, but i think this might be a bit expensive to keep up and running..
Old 22-09-2012, 11:15   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cner View Post
It was the 'wood' part on the Colin Archer that worried me.. Welding and so is no problem, i know that already, i'm (not to brag but) very handy in many skills..
The Colins are from 30k up to very expensive.. I found one for 16k, 39 fot needs some work, but parts come with it.
FINN Båt
looks good though, but i think this might be a bit expensive to keep up and running..
I think your caution is wise.

As a broad rule of thumb buy a wooden boat if:-

a) you love working with wood
b) you love working on wooden boats

(a well sorted wooden boat is not that work intensive - but always something to do as preventative maintanence, not plastic wipe down and clean style....so you have to enjoy the work).

buy a wooden boat that needs work (to bring back to the above standard) if:-

a) you are mental
b) have a very understanding wife. and bank manager
c) don't like sailing very much

With your budget (and therefore likely age and number of PO's) IMO the best material is Fibreglass (I await the screams of protest from the Steel and Concrete crowd ), and ideally solid fibreglass (I await the screams of protest from those with cored hulls and / or cored decks ).....not that fibreglass is better at everything - just fasr more forgiving of pig ignorant and / or broke PO's. albeit nothing immune from those.

I would still suggest having a serious looksee at a Westerly Pentland / Renown - should find something in your budget (£20k), and maybe even a bit left in the kitty for the odd toy .

Westerly Renown ketch archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

But as with any boat, time spent finding a decent one is worth the effort - in time and cash saved later.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 15:41   #15

The 39" Colin that i I linked to does have a fiberglass hull at least, but wooden deck and so.. I'd love to have something like that, looks amazing, but all the wood work...... So a pure fiberglass boat would suit me better i think.