Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 21:39   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Beginner going live abroad, need a tad help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cner View Post
The 39" Colin that i I linked to does have a fiberglass hull at least, but wooden deck and so.. I'd love to have something like that, looks amazing, but all the wood work...... So a pure fiberglass boat would suit me better i think.
As David writes, fibreglass is definitely not as much work. At least you could come back from a turn fishing and she will look like you left her.

If want to stick to the minimalist/budget thing still have a look at the Pardey books.
Old 22-09-2012, 21:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think your caution is wise.

Westerly Renown ketch archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

But as with any boat, time spent finding a decent one is worth the effort - in time and cash saved later.

Nice boat! Makes me envious as we just don't get boats of this quality that cheap in Australia. Even if they have been left in disrepair and need heaps of work the owners will still want a ridiculous price for them.
Old 22-09-2012, 23:54   #18

Boat: Bostrøm 31

And what about those ferro boats? are they any good?
Oh, and prices are very reasonable in norway too, I've look a good bit now and I can get pretty nice boats very cheap with much gear and parts+++
cner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 17:01   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Try browsing these threads for a bit...

ferrocement - Google Search
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:13   #20

I looked a bit, and came to a easy desission; NO ferro!
Old 13-10-2012, 22:06   #21

When looking at boats in norway, there is alot of realy good boats for sale to realy nice prices. Only think is it's hard to find a good full keel one, I find mostly racers/cruisers or racers. There is also cruisers ofc, but not many in the same shape as i can get a combined one in.
There is alot of combind ones that people sell as 'good long trip criusers' but very few have the keel im asked to look for. Also finding a ketch here is next to impossible... But that just means finding the best sloop i can get a hold of.
I realy like the Beneteau First 29, found a realy nice one for nice price. How are those criusing the world?
And could someone help me understand the diffrences of different keels? I know so far that full keel will help you be stable, and finn will go faster? but what are the other ones? Some look like a mix between the two, and then you have turning ones and some with a big lump on the bottom? Sailboats is like horses; the more you learn, the less you know... I love it

Edit: And iv'e upped my price range a bit...
Old 13-10-2012, 22:16   #22

Full keel is a lot safer running aground or in a collision with a submerged object. Instead of hitting with a abrupt stop you tend to ride up onto the bottom or object. Likewise, in similar circumstances, a long keel will not crack or even fall off.

It is also easier to get a full keel to sail itself without an auto pilot.

Yes. I have a full keel and have tested these advantages, unfortunately including running into a solid reef.
Old 13-10-2012, 23:29   #23
Marine Service Provider

my yacht is a beneteau 393 (perfect for single handed) and personaly i wouldnt own a full keel boat, but there is pros and cons to both, if your going to run ito something i agree that a full keel most likely stronger, i have hit a rock with my keel and nothing but a scatch and one hell of a scare (although every one with a full keel told me it would fall off ). Becuase it was not a full keel it bounced back and did not slide up and get stuck. so it really depends on to many to many things to claim one will be better than the other, unless you know exactly what conditions your going to put your yacht through.

some examples are my boat does not heave too in under 35kts with sails alone (apparently full keels do), but its faster on all other points of sailing, handles better (turns on a dime in marinas) and every mile i do without hitting something im happy with my decision. I watched a steel yacht with 6mm steel full keel sail at 5knots into rocks and it only got some dents and scratched paint, my yacht would have been holed in that instance, they sailed away. possibly they would swap boats with me given the chance for the practical comfort of every day life with a lot less maintenance, and avoid the rocks in the future understanding they cannot get away with it, but this depends on your values.

i have done a similar thing to you and i am very happy i have done it, my boat was in perfect condition to sail away and enjoy it, this allowed me to focus on learning all the new skills required to stay safe and enjoy the experiance to the max, a year later i think the sea has cast its spell!

beneteau could be the largest yacht manafacturer in the world (not sure just a guess) but they are doing something right and allowing me and lots of other sailors to enjoy life aboard

my advise would be the following;
get a boat that is ready to sail with good basic equipment that will get you sailing leaving you cash to go sailing, making sure it has resale value, so when you understand what you personally need you can sell it (if you didnt get it right). with the encouragement and advise from people on this forum it became a reality for me and its awesome!
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 01:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnado View Post
my yacht is a beneteau 393 (perfect for single handed) and personaly i wouldnt own a full keel boat, but there is pros and cons to both, if your going to run ito something i agree that a full keel most likely stronger, i have hit a rock with my keel and nothing but a scatch and one hell of a scare (although every one with a full keel told me it would fall off ). Becuase it was not a full keel it bounced back and did not slide up and get stuck. so it really depends on to many to many things to claim one will be better than the other, unless you know exactly what conditions your going to put your yacht through.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Beneteaus. They seen to be solidly built. For proof have a look at the photo of one I posted getting washed onto a boat ramp in a gale. I also totally agree with Gunnado's comment about finding the best boat ready to sail. At the end of the day few are perfect and we all develop our own preferences.

Nevertheless, if you do want to watch a scare movie about yacht keels falling off have a look at the Australian film "The Reef"!
Old 28-10-2012, 17:52   #25
Marine Service Provider

cool photos, where did was the photos taken?

that movie 'the reef' is horrible, its like watching jaws, it will damage you for ever and you will wish you did not see it! cant believe its based on a true story...

sad story that should not put you off your dream, freinds with full keel yacht have hit a reef in french polynesia and been helicoptered to safety, hope they can get the yacht off. second yacht in moorea in two weeks
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 21:11   #26

The photos were at Little Manly Beacb, Sydney Australia, in maybe July.

Yes, the movie is a bit freaky. In reality, maybe the sole survivor bumped them all off and blamed a shark? Seriously a lot easier to believe!
Old 13-02-2013, 12:09   #27

Hi cnr
I am looking at a Hans christian at the moment and will be selling my Pearson Vanguard 32 later this year all you need on it to go anywhere is food will only sell to a good home I have been sailing solo for the past 10 yr she has everything if interested e-mail me sailor1
sailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 20:05   #28

Hello Norway...I am a Roald Amundsen descendent and living on the Arctic Ocean right now...but i will be moving to Florida June 29th and boarding my newly bought 32.5 Irwin...it is old, stable and just what I have wanted...I plan to spend several months doing day and short overnight trips and then begin some bigger adventures as I become comfortable...it will also be my home and i am doing it for very very little....i also am new but ready!!

Good luck! Cap10
Cap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 03:49   #29

am glad to hear you got what you want Florida will be a little warmer than Norway so enjoy maybe will meet someday I am in canaries at the moment good place to be this time of year my home Ireland is cold also can sail here 365 days a year great place

best of luck sailor1
sailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 04:40   #30

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Always happy to see folks still enjoying the hippie lifestyle, it doesn't get any better. If you want to pick up a cheap boat and learn about sailing, come to Central America, particularly the Rio Dulce or Bocas. Lots of old sailors come down here to retire and there are loads of boats that are begging for a new young owner. It's also an inexpensive place to live while you fix your boat and learn to sail, and many old sailors that would love to help get you started. You can also crew on boats coming and going to get some sea time.
Good luck.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote