Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 22:46   #1

Been since 2014 since last login.......Morgan 45-4 advise

Greetings old friends. It has been a few years since I have been here, marriage kids, work, but it looks like I am back this time, God willing for good.

I have been looking for a mono hull for a semi liveaboard / Caribbean cruiser. I own my own business and work from home, When working I have to travel, 6-15 days a month. The rest of the time I will be in my home marina in North Florida, with extended time off for Caribbean cruising.

I am finally ready to pull the trigger and it is sooooooo exciting, so I started looking seriously into boat layouts, and I think I have what I am looking for.

I came across a Morgan 45-4, and love the layout, it seems to make good use of space, has a navigation station/work desk. Right size, and depending on condition right price (particular boat is 40K)

I am 47 years old, I most likely will not be buying, learning, growing, and moving up. I need to buy the right vessel the first time.

What are your thoughts, build quality? issues? etc?

What other models should I look at?

Thanks in advance for having me back.
tacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Been since 2014 since last login.......Morgan 45-4 advise

Greetings and welcome back to the CF, and to cruising, tacm.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Been since 2014 since last login.......Morgan 45-4 advise

From my limited experience they seem to be decent boats. Engine access is pretty good, lots of head clearance when walking below, and I liked the layout. What I did not like was the lack of ventilation down below in the aft cabin, there did not seem to be any. The cockpit was big enough, and a good layout. I have heard about compression posts being an issue on the 454's, so be aware. The model I was toying around with was the race version, with nearly an 8' draft, something which you might not want in your cruising grounds, they do come in a CB version as well. The do not tend to sell very fast for some reason, not sure why, except in the case of the one I was looking at, the broker blew the deal.

If you do not get replies on the other items, doing an internet search will yield some pretty good results as these boats have been around enough for people to talk about them.

Tags
morgan, morgan 45