Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 12:37   #1

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5
Beam vs Keel Depth - Which is more Efficient?

Can you fully replace a keel with a beamier design (or vice versa), or is there always a balance to be struck between beam and keel depth?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Beam vs Keel Depth - Which is more Efficient?

You would hope that the yachts designer has done his homework and reached the best compromise. Many yachts have different keel options, this would be an interesting start point. Our bilge keels are about 600kgs heavier than the deep fin keel version, but you wouldn't know looking at the water line.

However, the one yacht (34 ft) I know which had a new cast iron keel fitted came to £7000 for the casting from the original foundry.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 13:34   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSoto View Post
Can you fully replace a keel with a beamier design (or vice versa), or is there always a balance to be struck between beam and keel depth?
In a word, yes. Though at either end of the spectrum, the boats tend to be more extreme, as well as having a fair amount of drawbacks. And when it comes to design, the old saying is true (but for a few materials advances). In that "there's nothing (or little) which hasn't been tried before".

Spend some time at the Amateur Yacht Research Society www.AYRS.org They have info on all kinds of obscure, & unique boats & concepts, going back a looong way. And if you do much digging, you'll find things which are "new" to sailing, that were tried a century or more ago. Just look at Nat Herresoff.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 13:41   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes. I gather you are thinking of resistance to heeling. Beamier boat: initially more resistant to heeling than a skinnier deeper keel, but there is a little more to the story than that. As far as "efficient" do you mean which keeps a boat up better or which delivers faster boat? My narrow boat goes faster when heeled. A beamier boat is designed to sail best with less heel than mine. Check Marchaj's book for the graphs comparing the different designs.
https://www.amazon.com/Sail-Performa...ywords=marchaj
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 13:49   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yes, look at a catamaran. There are consequences to wide beam, no keel, means very poor or no self righting ability. You can go real skinny and deep. Not much room, heels easily. You can go narrow no keel, eg capt voss's sailing canoe Tillicum. But you lose much of your windward ability. You are always going to need some sort of centreboard or keel to make any ground to windward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-10-2016, 14:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
But you lose much of your windward ability. You are always going to need some sort of centreboard or keel to make any ground to windward.
Exactly. Still an interesting physics question (perhaps!) but a keel or skeg or whatever is necessary to keep a hull moving in the direction it is pointed and not side-slipping, something an increase in beam will not fix.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:12   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

If you get wide enough you can skip the keel altogether, but then you will be sailing a scow or a catamaran.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:22   #8

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5

I first posted this in the multihull thread but it got moved, so I suppose I meant this in the context of beam width of a multihull of some sort...
Old 04-10-2016, 14:34   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Google initial stability and form stability.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 16:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I first posted this in the multihull thread but it got moved, so I suppose I meant this in the context of beam width of a multihull of some sort...
In a monohull, a keel plays two main roles, controlling stability and leeway.
In a multihull, a keel does not contribute to stability, just to leeway.

For reducing leeway, beam width has little or no effect. Any form of keel or dagger board is the primary factor.

(Note, this is all an over simplification, but to a first approximation, it will do)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 16:14   #11

Yes catamaran vs mono.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 00:39   #12

This is the basic difference between a mono and a cat.

Yes a cat won't come back up if it rolls but it's far less likely to roll and it's far less likely to sink if it does roll. In the end unless you do something stupid, it's pretty much a non-issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59   #13

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Back in the late seventies, when a Belgium sailor (Patrick Van God), who wrote extensively in French sailing magasines, traded his full keel, heavy displacement 40' steel sailboat for a light displacement full centerboard sailboat, he started a centerboard sailboats "fashion" in France & elsewhere. I sailed, back then for a couple of months, on my C&N 31 full keel sailboat with two French people & their children. At "anchorage", they would lift the centerboards & put the nose of their sailboat right on the beach where their 3 kids could jump & play while they went fishing with us... Real cool He also brought back to France a "new" internal layout for cruising sailboats that he learned from a DIY american sailor from the West Coast i.e. The head at the foot of the companionway & forward, an open layout with the main centerboard housing in the middle of twin passages on port with the galley & on starboard with the chart table. The centerboard housing was excellent to hold yourself whether cocking or working on the charts & since you could use both to move forward it wasn't much of a nuisance Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrismusLayout.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	132337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trismus (3).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	132338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trisbal.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	132341   Click image for larger version

Name:	InsideTrismus.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	132342  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Alain, thanks for posting pics and story. Enjoyed it.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Back in the late seventies, when a Belgium sailor (Patrick Van God), who wrote extensively in French sailing magasines, traded his full keel, heavy displacement 40' steel sailboat for a light displacement full centerboard sailboat, he started a centerboard sailboats "fashion" in France & elsewhere. I sailed, back then for a couple of months, on my C&N 31 full keel sailboat with two French people & their children. At "anchorage", they would lift the centerboards & put the nose of their sailboat right on the beach where their 3 kids could jump & play while they went fishing with us... Real cool He also brought back to France a "new" internal layout for cruising sailboats that he learned from a DIY american sailor from the West Coast i.e. The head at the foot of the companionway & forward, an open layout with the main centerboard housing in the middle of twin passages on port with the galley & on starboard with the chart table. The centerboard housing was excellent to hold yourself whether cocking or working on the charts & since you could use both to move forward it wasn't much of a nuisance Cheers
I like it! In certain areas that would be great.. or how about...
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/118/2...0204961f_z.jpg
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, keel