Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-09-2017, 08:43   #1

Bavaria keel problems

Hi folks. I am new to the forum. Does anyone know anything about keels bonded with Plexus and problems on new boats less than 2 years old?

Thanks Oscar.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:56   #2

Boat: Bavaria
Re: Bavaria keel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarbravo View Post
Hi folks. I am new to the forum. Does anyone know anything about keels bonded with Plexus and problems on new boats less than 2 years old?

Thanks Oscar.
Sounds like a story????

Old 05-09-2017, 10:11   #3

Hi Blinky. Yes a bit of a tale.

This last month our New in 2015 boat was lifted again after a number of failed attempted repairs to cracking around the keel/hull joint and a leaking keel bolt, this was carried out by the UK distributor, we have had a total of 14 weeks out the water in the last 18 months for repairs.

The latest attempt they tried to put a two inch wide joint all round the top of the keel, in what I can only describe as a drive by masticing!! Its all bubbling up. I have no stopped them working on the boat and its now sitting on the hard. We have now had to take professional advice and been told there is no way they should close the joint/crack like this as there will be salt water/moisture trapped in the cracks this will cause crevice corrosion of the bolts!
We know of two other boats that are showing the same symptoms, one was sat on the side having just been delivered!

Interestingly Bavaria Germany refuse to reply to any correspondence, the distributor is now alleging damage by grounding!!!! Yet before he said it was a common problem and they would fix it.

Looks like its gona end up with a man in a wig sorting it all out.
Meanwhile, I had paid my marina fees up front so I am loosing the use of the boat and 550 a month in fees.

Which is why I am asking..

Oscar Bravo
Old 05-09-2017, 19:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Sounds indeed like its time to take the legal route. There were a few rumors around here but it was several years ago, as I recall. If you use the Google custom search box under the search button above you may be able to find some references.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Oscar.

World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations Structural Plan Review Scheme ➥ OSR Structural Plan Review : Offshore | Classes & Equipment | ISAF | World Sailing | Official Website

When Keel, Stub Part Ways ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...ce_5562-1.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34   #6

Boat: Bavaria

Oscar.

Sweet Jesus! That's terrible. There is lots of detail on Plexus on the web if you search for it. Its a hard compound and a bonding agent according to the blurb. It depends what type it is but you can down load the tech spec for all of them on the web. I take it you have looked at the Bavaria video of the keel being put on? I think they say there that is a hard bonding compound and a filler?

Have you got any further with them? Keep us up to date.

Good luck.

Blinky
Old 14-09-2017, 07:45   #7

Update; Bavaria Yachts GmbH. Have now contacted me via email saying they will seek a resolution with the UK distributor. But, nothing has changed.

I think I will pay them a visit at the boat show this weekend. Maybe talk in a loud voice in front of potential customers.

Oscar.
Old 14-09-2017, 08:10   #8

Boat: Want a B430!

Quote:
Update; Bavaria Yachts GmbH. Have now contacted me via email saying they will seek a resolution with the UK distributor. But, nothing has changed.

I think I will pay them a visit at the boat show this weekend. Maybe talk in a loud voice in front of potential customers.

Oscar.

Get a nice blue jacket and neatly paint on the back "ASK ME ABOUT MY BAVARIA KEEL"
Old 14-09-2017, 19:53   #9

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I am no expert, but keel bolts do fail, and keels do fall off, Cheeky Rafiki, being a good example. I would say the crack is being caused by movement of the keel, which is happening either due to failing keel bolts, its failing where the connect to the boat.

Covering it with sealant, is just cosmetic. The keel should be dropped, then everything can be checked. If it was my boat, I would do that myself. You need to build a frame round it, then get the yard to lift the boat away from the keel, I know people that did it with jacks and a frame round the keel to keep it vertical. the bolts can be about a meter long, but the keel will be cast iron, its only expensive boats that have lead keels, Halburg Rassey Swan etc, anyway, bolts just screw in, sometimes very difficult to remove, sometimes people just get engineers to re drill the keel, and put new bolts besides the old ones.

If you take the keel off, you will see exactly what is going on, you will never know until then.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:04   #10

Update; a few post on their website and facebook brought them running to the conference table. They offered to buy the boat back at 28,000 less than the market value!! As soon as we stopped posting they hardened again and actually made veiled threats!!
I do not react well to threats and so we are continuing to take whatever action is necessary to get a fair and reasonable solution. After 22 weeks of the new boat being on the hard, nearly two years of of un-used marina berth fees and still paying the marine mortgage, legal fees, survey costs. I an a tad out of pocket. But money is a good motivator. So its back to the fight again.this time I will use the big gun

OscaR
Old 13-10-2017, 15:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Update; a few post on their website and facebook brought them running to the conference table. They offered to buy the boat back at 28,000 less than the market value!! As soon as we stopped posting they hardened again and actually made veiled threats!!
I do not react well to threats and so we are continuing to take whatever action is necessary to get a fair and reasonable solution. After 22 weeks of the new boat being on the hard, nearly two years of of un-used marina berth fees and still paying the marine mortgage, legal fees, survey costs. I an a tad out of pocket. But money is a good motivator. So its back to the fight again.this time I will use the big gun

OscaR
Good luck in the forthcoming battle! And good onya for sticking to it... all too few folks have the fortitude to carry such battles through to the end, and so the mfg wins out. When poor building practices are not called out they simply become "industry standard" and are defended as such so I applaud your efforts.

Do let us know how it goes when it becomes feasible to do so.

Jim

Tags
bavaria, keel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: