Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2008, 14:35   #1

Bavaria 8.9 - Opinions

I've come across a Bavaria 8.9 and would like some opinions from those who have owned one, or sailed one.

Likes and dislikes?

How does it sail?

Build quality?

Thanking you in advance.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:57   #2

Wow, not a single reply.

This boat must be one-of-a-kind and not very popular.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bavarias compare to the major american production boats. They are the german equivlent. They were priced better for a time but that is no longer true with the US dollar being what it is. The dealer we had here went under and I'm not sure how active they are being imported. Perhaps we have some european members that have more experience with that version.

A neighbor has a Bavaria 37. It handles very well in light air though suffers in winds over 25 knots. These are not meant to be Water boats">blue water boats but if that is not your purpose you might be very happy. They are easily handled and the controls all led aft. This one has fractional rig and a volvo sail drive engine that seems well powered. I've not sailed a 8.9 Bavaria. The 37 seems to have been a more popular version and of course bigger than the 8.9 meter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I've not sailed a 8.9 Bavaria.
The Bavaria 8.9 (29') is a 1984 and I believe one of their first. I think Bavaria started producing boats in the early 80s.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04   #5

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
Baviaria generally is known to us in Europe as a cheap coastal cruiser. yes, sufficient for the med and close to caost sailing but not an ocean crossing boat.
Sailing can be ok, we just where accopanied by one in the red sea, a 34 foot and it surprised me. But hey, they where just good sailors and that makes a big difference on all boats you sail.
Anyway, yes fun for pleasure but nit for serious work as the one I just spoke about had some seriuos structual problems after beating one day in 30 knots of wind and a choppy sea (besides two sick crew haha!)
Good Luck
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Anyway, yes fun for pleasure but not for serious work as the one I just spoke about had some serious structual problems after beating one day in 30 knots of wind and a choppy sea.
Well thats my intention; lakes and rivers...pleasure cruising.

What kind of structural problems? Just curious.
Old 01-08-2008, 20:43   #7

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
In a day pounding in serious wheater they opened the cupboards and they where all covered with a white powder dust. It appeared that the structure of the boat had had so much strain or was so weak that the Glasfiber had (exploded).
The question is what this means for the future. Having worked with glasfiber professionally most of my life (I owned a RV maufacturing wher we produced caravans made of Glasfiber) I at least have serious doubts about the strenght that now remains in it.
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56   #8

Quote:
In a day pounding in serious wheater they opened the cupboards and they where all covered with a white powder dust. It appeared that the structure of the boat had had so much strain or was so weak that the Glasfiber had (exploded).
What cupboards? Food cupboards maybe...with sugar and flour in it. That could explain the white powder, or maybe some other illegal activity.

Quote:
Having worked with glasfiber professionally most of my life (I owned a RV maufacturing wher we produced caravans made of Glasfiber) I at least have serious doubts about the strenght that now remains in it.
Ahhh, so you are the one who is responsible...responsible for all those damn Dutch in their caravans blocking the mountain roads in the Alps where I ride my motorcycle.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
As noted earlier, here in Europe they're cheaper than your average yacht and whilst there's a tendency for 'serious' yachties to sneer at Bavarias, I for one disagree. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but if you're after a yacht for 'lakes and rivers... pleasure cruising' I think that at the price they're hard to beat.
A quotation I've often used is: - if you want a boat for just floating around the Ionian (noted for its sheltered waters) then buy a Bavaria, but try to get it locally; if you're forced to buy one in the UK, then use some of the saving to either ship it or pay someone else to sail it across Biscay to get it there for you.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
There's a tendency for 'serious' yachties to sneer at Bavarias, I for one disagree.
I just happen to be looking at one (haven't gone yet but will), but at half the price, I'm also looking at a Kelt 7.6 moored locally. Basically day/weekend sail boats. I am just or at least seriously considering getting into this.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:07   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Glass fibre exploding into white power? Now I've heard it all.

The only 'white powder' youd find on a new GRP boat is residue dust from someone grinding the orginal glass in the production process.

Any new boat after a pounding would show traces - it was the quality of the vacuum / cleaning that was low - not the build quality.

JOHN.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19   #12
jzk

Yes, that white dust is merely residue left over from manufacturing. For the first year we had the Beneteau, we would get it when in rough seas. But as we vacumed the crevises and over time, it went away. I would add that to the small list of annoyances that we have found with this boat. However, sure beats spending twice as much on a Grand Soleil.

Either that or our fiberglass "exploded!"
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:29   #13
JB3

Bav 8.9

I know this is an old thread but......
I have a 1985 Bav 8.2. These boats, the 8.2, 8.9, 9.6 and etc., are a different breed of boat than the line currently built for the charter biz. These are strong boats built for the North Sea.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria