Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 10:44   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Batteries?

Yes as long as SoC is high voltage drop is not an issue to the batts, just to (some) consumer loads.

Increasing bank size and/or going to quality AGM can help,

obviously not as much as LFP, but that's not what the thread is about, 99% of owners just aren't ready for that huge jump
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:04   #107

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

well i am preparing my boat 4 bluewater, and an upgrade to lfp seems the right thing to do, if you want to live a board full time for a longer period of time, withsome comfort..
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
well i am preparing my boat 4 bluewater, and an upgrade to lfp seems the right thing to do, if you want to live a board full time for a longer period of time, withsome comfort..
I not against LiFePO bateries and think an upgrade to LiFePO is a very good thing. LiFePO offers significant advantages over other battery technology: faster charging (if you have the system), lighter and smaller bank for the same available power, stable voltage under high draw. However for my personal situation I don't want to deal with the extra concerns needed to guarantee the long life they offer. If I screw up with my FLA batteries it probably won't totally kill them and if it does I'm out about $500. If I screwed up and killed a LiFePO bank, which from all I've read isn't that hard to do, it would be thousands. For lots of people my concerns are not a problem and that's just fine.

By the way would be very interested in how LiFePO will make it possible to live aboard "full time for a longer period of time with some comfort" any better than FLA batteries? I can get just as much max amp output, just as many amp hours and just as much 12V from a FLA battery bank as I could from LiFePO bank. Just takes a few more batteries to get the same power.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:38   #109
cruiser

Yes I agree.

The real benefit besides longevity and less V sag

is

1. no need to get to full

So no solar at all is required for lead's "long-tail", a high amp charge source run for an hour 2-3 times a week is enough, most burn dino juice at least that much already anyway.
and

2. huge weight / space saving, enable a much bigger bank

not as significant an advantage if your charging frequency is already higher, big bank not even needed
Old 09-02-2018, 11:38   #110

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Chris
I am considering adding one of the Sterling Power ProAlt C Alternator to Battery Chargers to solve the AGM charging profile problem.

I don't have any experience with this product but I like Sterling products and thinking of giving it a go.

Just a thought. take a look:
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...953&id=2086361
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	259313_l.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	163798  
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:41   #111
cruiser

Also look at his BB batt2batt line, for not just alt as a charge source, but mains / genset / solar / wind as primary, user-custom profiles from any old legacy source, can be the only regulator that directly connects to that finicky bank, whether AGM GEL or LFP.
Old 09-02-2018, 13:07   #112

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Chris
I am considering adding one of the Sterling Power ProAlt C Alternator to Battery Chargers to solve the AGM charging profile problem.

I don't have any experience with this product but I like Sterling products and thinking of giving it a go.

Just a thought. take a look:
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...953&id=2086361
I sold literally hundreds of these since they came out. Not a single unhappy customer.
woodenboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 13:30   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Only if you have replacement power available on demand, or running out occasionally is NBD.

Solar only with medical necessities would dictate a decent buffer for poor conditions.

And only if you don't mind replacing the bank more frequently

and usually travel near places where your batts are readily available, since you'd be spending a higher proportion of bank lifetime at a higher risk of sudden unexpected failure.

For a long circumnavigation with lead, I'd design for the usual 50% DoD cycling.

All depends on circumstances, there are few rules that fit all.
and I would add the nuisance factor of having to change out the batteries that often, I can feel my back complaining just considering it.
Old 09-02-2018, 13:31   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenboats View Post
I sold literally hundreds of these since they came out. Not a single unhappy customer.
Thanks for that info! good to know!