Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 05:44   #1

Bahama's Advice

Hello all -- I've been a member for a while now and havn't posted in quite a while but have been checking the site on a regular basis . What great info everybody has !!
So now I'm looking for some of that info if possible ---I have a 35 foot monohull ( draws 5 feet ) that I delivered to Green Turtle Cay fom Norfolk Va. a couple of weeks ago and am going back down in a couple of weeks to move it to Emerald Bay Marina in Georgetown to use as a base for the winter .
A few questions --- I'm allowing 3 days to get to Georgetown from Green Turtle -- does that sound reasonable / what route would you take ? I'll probably spend more time in the Abacos on the way back in the spring so right now just want to get the boat to the Exumas .
Thoughts about Emerald Bay Marina ?
Am planning on having differant friends come down for a week at a time so am looking for interesting places to visit that would have us back at the marina in about 5 to 6 days .
Thanks for all te help !
Doc 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bahama's Advice

I guess you want to go non-stop Green Turtle to Georgetown? In round numbers it's 300 miles so at a nominal 6 kts you could do the trip in 2 days, winds and weather permitting.

The direct route is straightforward. Go outside from Green Turtle, Whale Cay is the closest but check the weather first!!!!! for a rage at the channel. Head SSE down the east coast of Eleuthera and pass between Eleuthera Point and Little San Salvador. From there a straight shot to Georgetown.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Why not take a few days more, do it inside (only during the day), and enjoy the family Islands? We found the families to be our favorite islands on our trip last winter. It was here where we were able to meet and get to know a few Bahamians.

Are unlit fishing boats a worry off of the east coast at night? I don't know, I am asking.

Chris

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:48   #4

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Emerald Bay is a nice facility. We've been there a couple times. Well stocked grocery and liquor stores nearby, free laundry and showers on site. $1 per foot no power section where cruisers seem to congregate for some reason.

Just be warned that you don't want to try to enter the channel with any significant northerly swell. It's poorly designed and exposed to the north. You have to turn to port (broadside to a northerly swell) just before the swells break near the entrance. A little hariy in the wrong conditions unless you time your entrance just right between the swells.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doc 1.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:57   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Doc, and have a nice sail! Emerald Bay is a nice place, but it is a bit isolated from George Town. You may want to consider St. Francis or mooring in one of the holes on Stocking Island...very protected. You can get to town, lots of beaches, restaurants and snorkeling spots by dinghy, plus you'll meet 100s of cruisers. Either way, have fun!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 07:17   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A better spot to base a boat would be in Sampson Cay in the middle of the Exumas. You can fly in to Staniel and get a boat ride to Sampson. Emerald Bay is hard to get out of when it's blowing a bit. Also the grocery store was closed last season. If you like the GT area as WG said, a mooring in one of the holes might be better.
Old 29-11-2012, 07:20   #8

Oops, sorry for the old info on the grocery store in Emerald Bay. I was there 2 yrs ago. Didn't realize it was closed.

Scott
Old 29-11-2012, 11:29   #9

Thanks for all the great advice !!!

Mike -- Do you know of the names of any marinas in St. Francis ?

Vasco -- Would you happen to know the names of any marina's in Sampson Cay ? I'm guessing a marina might be the way to go since the boat will be there until mid May .

Thanks
Old 29-11-2012, 11:35   #10

Sampson Cay - vacation villas, houses and marina in the tropical Bahamas

http://www.stfrancisresort.com/
Old 29-11-2012, 11:36   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Allowing a week would make more sense! Where is your boat? I live on GTC.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:10   #12

Tingum --- I'm hoping on the way back in the spring to have more time to sightsee but for now just trying to get south . Skipmac suggested offshore which makes sense to me but this is my first time in that area so just trying to learn .
Thanks
Old 29-11-2012, 12:29   #13

Doc,
I agree. Do your southing now and work your way north in the spring. We find the Abacos water and air temp a little too cool in Dec. Our first trip we made the mistake of staying in the Abacos through Dec (kids flying in for Christmas). Next time we'll head south right away and enjoy the Abacos in April/May.

Scott
Old 29-11-2012, 12:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Oops, sorry for the old info on the grocery store in Emerald Bay. I was there 2 yrs ago. Didn't realize it was closed.

Scott
Every season something changes in the Bahamas. When the economy took a dive a few years ago half the mega resort projects folded. In one way that's refreshing for cruisers but not so good for the locals. The one thing that stays constant is the beauty of the waters.

Old 29-11-2012, 12:49   #15

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Going south early makes more sense. If you go out Whale You have two choices: Offshore past hopetown and straight down past Eleuthera, then between Wlwuthera and Little San Salvadore and West to Exuma sound. This can be real blowy this time of year. The other route would be outside Great Abaco down to Egg Island at the north of Eleuthera, then through the Current Cut and down the inside of Eleuthera, which will offer protection from easterly winds, then cross Exuma Sound to Exuma. Bear in mind that this time of year the passes through the Exuma Cays can close off in an easterly rage.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas