Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 05:07   #211

I would walk. Save my money for six months keep looking and then revisit the deal. Offer 5 k less in six months, but I bet you find something you like better in that time.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:22   #212

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Bad Market - Good Negotiation Strategies ?

Can't find nada for a csy. Call a few banks to see what they will loan on that boat. I think it will be way less then 85000. You said you don't need a loan but the next guy might. Alot of csy boats for sale plus many others in the 85000 range . If you had to or want to sell what could you get out of it?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 06:20   #213

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

As for me, the decision would be simple. Money is easy to come by, where a nice boat isn't quite so.
The 2500 in funds won't change your lifestyle, the boat will.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:35   #214

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I have been bashed in a couple of posts here because was not "emotional enough" about buying a boat. What I have noticed in this thread is the guys who advise to walk because there are lots of boats in the sea seem to be more realistic while the guys who advise to buy the boat mention things about how it is a classic good looking boat, which kinda reminds me of the old song "if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife".

My take is there are lots of nice boats, and a whole lot more boats period. Also keep in mind that you are asking a question which suggests to me you have at least some minor problems with buying this boat.

One of the biggest surprises I have had is how much less a bank would lend than the asking price of some boats. There are sellers who are willing to deal at price points close to what a bank will lend, and those who are not. So as one other poster asked, how much do you think you would be able to get for this boat if you were selling it? The other side of the coin is how much emotionally is this boat worth to you.

The real question for me is am I buying the boat for emotional reasons or because I think it is a good deal when viewed in cold hard light. You are the only one who can answer this question.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:03   #215

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Randy,

I agree with you. To everyone else, thanks for your input. I really do like the boat and my surveyor told me it would be a good deal at $100k, BEFORE I told him the purchase price. I told him that the seller wouldn't budge on the price and he said the same thing - "Do you like the boat? Because it is a very clean one for a very good price." As Randy said, $2500 is not going to change my lifestyle, but this boat will. So I am going ahead with the deal and I'm very excited.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:22   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido
Randy,

I agree with you. To everyone else, thanks for your input. I really do like the boat and my surveyor told me it would be a good deal at $100k, BEFORE I told him the purchase price. I told him that the seller wouldn't budge on the price and he said the same thing - "Do you like the boat? Because it is a very clean one for a very good price." As Randy said, $2500 is not going to change my lifestyle, but this boat will. So I am going ahead with the deal and I'm very excited.

Cheers, Bill
All the best to you on the purchase!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:13   #217

Check out my new signature. It says it all.

Cheers, Bill
Old 22-05-2012, 17:24   #218

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:

Cheers, Bill
Congrats!
Old 22-05-2012, 18:36   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Bad Market?I,listed my boat that I,had owned for 22 years,It was Clean and all systems were good a No excuse boat.Sold in a week for what I,paid for it 22 years ago.Had 2 more suspects waiting.Bad Market not here.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 00:59   #220
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post

Cheers, Bill
Congrats
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 15:35   #221
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Well, after a somewhat wild ride, I got the call today that our latest offer has been accepted. Our initial offer price, which I thought was quite fair, they thought was fair also. They made a counter on some of the terms which were a bit out of our reach, but they accepted our counter with what we could do.

Due to some scheduling issues, we're going to do the sea trial before the survey. The sea trial is next week, the survey the week after. We're buying "as-is" so it's either yea or nay after the survey. We have four nice island trips planned for the summer, hopefully we'll be doing them on our new-to-us boat instead of the Catalina!

Stay tuned for lots more questions...

JRM

-- And for those like me who lamented the fact that older boats can't be easily financed: we took a shot and made an offer where the seller holds the note. I didn't think it was likely, but they accepted. I think the fact that we're putting half down helped...
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:26   #222
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Stay tuned for lots more questions...
I've ordered extra popcorn

Quote:
-- And for those like me who lamented the fact that older boats can't be easily financed: we took a shot and made an offer where the seller holds the note. I didn't think it was likely, but they accepted. I think the fact that we're putting half down helped...
Classic "don't ask, don't get"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 12:59   #223

Congrats, JRM. Let us know how the sea trial goes. I just spent my first day aboard my "new" boat, Odyssey, moving in. The seller left $1000s in spares and supplies aboard. I even called the broker to make sure the seller had finished moving out.

So it appears that he got over the insult of my low offer, and really did me a solid by leaving all that stuff aboard.

Cheer and good luck, Bill
Old 25-06-2012, 11:11   #224
JRM

Quote:
Congrats, JRM. Let us know how the sea trial goes. I just spent my first day aboard my "new" boat, Odyssey, moving in. The seller left $1000s in spares and supplies aboard. I even called the broker to make sure the seller had finished moving out.

So it appears that he got over the insult of my low offer, and really did me a solid by leaving all that stuff aboard.

Cheer and good luck, Bill
Hey, I'm finally closed and wondering the same thing. There's more tools here than at my house, and I've done three complete remodels over the years... I think there's a whole spare engine, minus the block and head, and that may still be lurking in a locker somewhere. The library in this baby alone is staggering. Was thinking about ordering Calder's book on refrigeration to help troubleshoot, but there's already a copy on board. Found a really nice brass sextant. Always wanted one of those.

If your at the boat and bored, I'm working in CI Harbor on Wednesday. I'd love an excuse to get out and prowl around the marinas...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 11:24   #225
JRM

If nothing else, dude was organized :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1897726120.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	42740