Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 16:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
back stays

I am having my boat (Southern Cross 31) re-rigged, I have had most of the rigging made, the thing I am stuck at and undecided, is the back stays, The original was a single back stay, coming from the mast, going to (what we in the merchant navy call) a monkeys face, a plate that two wires attach to one end, and a single wire attaches to the other end). This allows the single back stay to straddle the tiller, and attach to chain plates, port and starboard.

I discussed with the rigger, changing this to a double back stay,he said it wasn't a problem, he could anchor two back stays at the top of the mast, said he has fittings for singles, and doubles, he said the angle of the chain plates could be slightly wrong, but probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.

The main two reasons for this, is, the bottle screw is very high up and is very difficult to adjust, it involves climbing on the two wires, as the bottle screw is above the monkeys face, the other reason is, I want to put my MF/HF antenna on the back stay, and just now, where it would attach, could not be reached when the boat is at sea, so a problem with the connection, and the radio would be out until the next port.

Is there any downside of double back stays, I believe two are better than one, but I don't know, any ideas. I am still undecided, and the guy has almost finished the rest of the rig.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:17   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: back stays

Ita can be difficult to tune 2 stays so that they carry an equal load. An alternative to your current setup is to replace the triangular plate with a large block, & then run a stay, synthetic or wire, from one side of the transom, then through the block & down to the other transom side. With either a turnbuckle on one end of this, or a multi part purchase (tackle) so that you can adjust the stay. Even Colligo Marine's deadeyes, or thimbles for synthetic lashings would work too. Knock on wood.

Odds are that you can also mount the plate from the current setup lower than it is right now. I'd say that so long as the angle between the legs is less than about 45 degrees, it should be fine, but ask your/a rigger to be certain.

Note that if you're truly concerned about your antenna, you can attach a seperate antenna to the backstay, with it running all of the way to the masthead. Though plenty of people get by just fine with just a pocket sized HF reciever, & the antenna on a small reel that comes with. They're more than enough for downloading weather info, & listening to various stations broadcasts, or the various radio nets. Then once in port you can fix your big radio to take part in the chat show. AKA cruiser's nets.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 21:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You can build a set up with a block on each of the split stays of your current rig.. Shackle them together and add a four part tackle down to the deck so you can pull the blocks down. As the blocks are pulled down they'll draw the split stays together increasing tension on the back stay making a quick and dirty way to tension the head stay. A real common set up on smaller boats.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 22:01   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Back in the old days (70s) I used to see heavy, stout, cruising boats with double backstays and double headstays too! I suppose, yes, 2 is better than one in case one breaks, but following that reasoning we'd be putting doubles on everything. Personally I might go one size higher on the backstay if you are concerned but then I'd leave it the way it was designed. I don't think it was designed and intended to use a backstay tensioner but I guess it could be done. I'd go with it the way it was designed, it's a pretty rugged boat as is! Double backstays adds weight aloft without really serving a need. And you won't be climbing up there very often to adjust the turnbuckle. I am confused about the MF/HF antenna connection. Do you mean you might need to make the connection at sea? Regarding a VHF antenna, I'd mount a whip antenna on the pushpit and have it wired to the radio but not hooked up until/if needed in a dismasting.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

What I meant about the connection was, that I have had problems where the connection corrodes, and you have to re do it, that was all regarding that. The biggest thing was adjusting the back stay, which is difficult the way things are. I have though been looking at making the antenna independent of the backstay, with a wire from the top of the mast and two egg insulators on it.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:06   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the antenna connection issue: those connections can be made reasonably permanent, and simply checking them carefully as part of your off shore preparations will effectively eliminate having to repair them at sea.

IMO the use of a block and putting the rigging screw at deck level is the best solution for your situation. Simple, not terribly expensive and reliable...

Jim