Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2015, 09:15   #16

Re: Baba 40 re-rig to Ketch Rig ... Am I crazy?

Since you like Amel here is one in great shape. I know the owners and they are meticulous. I think it would take very little to make her ready.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.VaKDwS7D_MI

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shea View Post
So ... Long time lurker, first time post. Been considering a few boats to retire and cruise on (buying this year and about five more years away from retiring) everything from HC33 to Passport 40 to Hylas 49 to Amel Super Maramu.

The Hylas would take all my money and wouldn't have enough to refit or cruise, so it's really just a dream boat. The Amel is a bit large for a cruising couple and a bit deep in draft, but picking one up and doing an update refit to the 2000 model makes the most sense and is right in our budget.

The problem is I'm in love with the Baba 40! Actually, that's not the problem. The problem really is that my mind was poisoned by Robert Perry's article where he talked about his buddy building Airloom with a 6' taller mast and having fun with a surprisingly swift full keel boat. I have 5 years of playing off the coast of SoCal, Catalina trips, sailing around the Queen Mary and such until I actually take off. To add potential insanity, I actually really appreciate the versatility of a ketch rig in foul weather and I know that 11 ketches were built per Perry's specs.

The final straw was seeing this little 30 with tan bark sails! So, I'm going to try and pick up a Baba 40 for under 6 figures, probably spend another 6 figures on an extensive refit. My long-winded question is how quickly will I ruin a perfectly good boat by having a shipyard add a mizzen mast to my 30 year old boat along with a taller main? I have no idea if it's possible to have a mizzen mast deck stepped and be reliable by a shipyard during a refit. I guess to me it seems like I'm trying to accomplish too much with one boat or do too much with it to still be reliable???

The plan is the Pacific Northwest, down the coast to Mexico, through the Panama Canal, the Caribbean, New England, back through Panama to the South Pacific over 6 years or so.

Thanks for your sanity and input .... growing up on my dads little Ericson doing summer trips to Catalina is hardly world traveling experience!

Attachment 105124

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Spend $100K on a 10 year old plastic boat and spend your time enjoying your retirement....

Old 12-07-2015, 12:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Since you like Amel here is one in great shape. I know the owners and they are meticulous. I think it would take very little to make her ready.
1983 AMEL Maramu Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Now that is the way to present a boat for sale. Pics inside of all the lockers. Very nice.
Old 12-07-2015, 13:24   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

You need to be happy running the boat. With a ketch you reef less and have more options. Too much breeze? Just strike the main and jazz along on Yankee and mizzen..light air? Let it all hang out , main mizzen ,stay sail and yankee. It is more gear taking up space...lines, sheets halyards.. Blocks...tracks ect ect....my boat in her element electrify's me...the complexity enthralls. She's a little ship...a small big boat...if its what you want? Go for it.
Old 12-07-2015, 15:04   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Baba is a great boat and very well built. If you can put up with the wood maintenance go for it. You wont get much better in that size.
However, just leave it a cutter. The cutter is great for short handed sailing, a quick reef of the main and dousing the headsail with the staysail up and you will have a really enjoyable sail in 35 knots of wind.. flat and fast.
I'm not against Ketches, but with the added clutter not real prone to them either. With the advent of the furling headsail.. all of a sudden a cutter makes a lot of sense for easy sailing.
Also look at the Ta Shiba...and the Panda 40 it's pretty much the same boat.. and I think more of them were built with less exterior teak.... some without teak decks too. Same boat yard Ta Shing. TASHIBA 40 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Ketches are great when designed as ketches. Should you find a Baba 40 cutter that you wish to convert, you have to not only move the mast, but the chainplates, add a mizzen, add a compression post and maybe move tankage around and even bulkheads to accommodate the new masses and forces at play.

It's the definition of a non-trivial modification. Without counting on my fingers, such a mod would a) cost more than the acquisition of the Baba 40, and b) add nothing to its value, save that you'd have a piss-poor ketch.

Better you should find a ketch to your liking, in my view. Don't get hung up on a single model. Ketches are great for short-handed sailing off the wind, and are great and generally safe passagemakers. But they add complexity and interior spaces are filled with either mast butts or compression posts and many, many more sails. So you'd have to really love ketches, as cutters are nearly as versatile and can be made as easy to reef down as ketches.

I say these things having always wanted a ketch, but being very happy with a cutter.
Old 12-07-2015, 15:11   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
1983 AMEL Maramu Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Nice boat, save that the engine looks ready for rebuild or replacement at 5,100 hours.
Old 12-07-2015, 16:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Nice boat, save that the engine looks ready for rebuild or replacement at 5,100 hours.
It looks like a fair amount of work on getting this boat looking good again.
Old 12-07-2015, 18:36   #23

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Yes, you are crazy. If you want a ketch, buy a ketch. If you try to re-rig a sloop you will end up spending a ton of money and likely end up with a boat full of compromises. Refitting is just as expensive as cruising, but it's a lot less enjoyable.
Old 12-07-2015, 20:03   #24

Well ... went looking at boats all weekend. I really appreciate the input from everyone. I've been out on a Baba 40 a couple times. Never seen the ketch version for sale, let alone in person.

After everyone's very wise input, I think the smart thing to do is to research the Hans Christian 43 ketch and find one for sail before buying. I might fall in love all over again or I might not be that impressed and end up living happily ever after with a Baba 40 cutter and never look back.

Now, time to sit down for a long night of HC43 Internet research. Thank you, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-07-2015, 00:14   #25

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Why do you want a ketch so badly? Normal cutter has lots of sail options and there is one less stick and a lot less rigging. Hc43s are awesome boats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-07-2015, 07:45   #26

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

After giving your question more thought, I have to agree with you that converting a Baba 40 to a Ketch is Crazy. You said you wanted to save money for your cruising. You will probably spend more money than you have, or would have had if to buy a boat designed and built as a ketch to start with. Naval Architects and Qualified Yards DO NOT COME CHEAP. So I think you need to think more on the subject. In my last, I mentioned I had a Morgan 36 OI Ketch, he also built a Morgan 41 OI Ketch which everyone loves, and you can still find around the world at a very good price, and you want to change things around you can at a fairly reasonable cost. and you will have more money for the booze and ladies or other things you like to do. Smooth Sailing...

Tags
ketch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: