Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2016, 08:40   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Average cost of owning formula

Maybe just a little bit tongue-in-cheekily, does the question fall into the 'if you have to ask...' category?

Old 14-08-2016, 08:42   #17

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

10% of the value of the boat new!
You may buy the boat cheap while old But the rule applies to the present value of the new boat
If the boat is out of production then the value of a similar boat

Old 14-08-2016, 08:53   #18

Boat: Beneteau 411

I would agree that the cost of maintenance probably averages 10%, when buying though, I'd add 25% to fix what they survey misses and refit as you see appropriate the first year.
Old 14-08-2016, 09:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

There is no thumb rule.

There is a broad rule which says that the relationship between LOA increase and cost increase is exponential rather than linear.

The cost itself is very easy to calculate by adding up the constituents. Do not forget to allow for proportional amounts of costs that are not recurring every year and then allow also for the residual (re-sale) value, etc.

Nothing fancy, plain excel calculations done in 30 minutes or so.

Cheers,
b.
Old 14-08-2016, 09:31   #20

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

LOL Manos1955. Using your line of thought, which I hadn't previously considered but does make a lot of sense, and using the my surveyor's replacement cost estimate, my annual maintenance costs would exceed my purchase price by $800 a year! (Replacement cost estimate was $72K...do the math). One could easily spend that amount of money each year on a 35-year old boat such as mine. Man! That would buy a lot of upgrades every year! (Roller furling, new sails every year, a proper chartplotter, rebuild the galley, hire a couple of gorgeous blondes to crew for a few months!) Realistically however, my estimates come in around $1600-1800 per year for general repairs and maintenance (So, no gorgeous blondes on deck in my near future). However, as I do know that I will need to repair or replace the rudder in a couple of years due to delamination (replace is cheaper than repair at around $1K), and the standing rigging, although in good condition will need work at the end of next year, I am planning for those contingencies and classifying them as non-annual repair costs. Thanks for changing my outlook on the 10% rule of thumb measure!

As to Barnakiel's statement about residual (re-sale) value, no matter how much work I put into a boat of this vintage, the re-sale value will continue to depreciate unless it becomes either a collector's item or a museum piece (doubtful in both cases).

Disclaimer: Am not trying to hijack the OP's original thread here. We've been discussing the 10% rule-of-thumb. Am just sharing some of MY planning information in the real world in the hope that you may see some of the variables involved for estimating annual repair and maintenance costs.
Old 14-08-2016, 09:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
Is there any standard formula for annual cost of yacht ownership either per foot or by another metric. I understand the cost will vary based on age and how much of a do it yourself person you are as well as location and other factors. But sweat equity can have a value placed on it and locals averaged as well as age or condition, and I understand it will be no more than a starting point. So is there an industry standard that would state an in new or new boat should require on average X dollars per annum per foot or per dollar value of the boat?

I tried several search terms before I posted the question and found little information. I'm considering my first large boat purchase and can afford the purchase its the cost of ownership that concerns me more. My fear here is cost of acquisition is nothing compared to cost of maintaining it. Just looking for a starting point.
He said average cost of owning, not average cost of annual maintenance, average cost of owning. Huge difference kids. Huge difference.

Cost of ownership includes annual maintenance + improvements + depreciation + slip and storage fees + insurance + lost opportunity + cost of divorce(s) (for some).

The 10% for annual maintenance is prolly as close an average as one can call.

Some owners buy a brand new boat and hire someone to keep it "Perfect". These people can pay a lot more than 10% of market price per year.

Some owners by an old boat, sail it that way for a few years, do only what is needed to keep it from sinking, and flog it. The cost of maintenance is almost nil, but the cost of ownership (all the other fees) can be 100% or more of the initial cost of the boat.

Most owners by a used boat in moderate condition, spend a lot on repairs and improvements the first few years, and then settle into a more reasonable maintenance budget.

So the best answer is, "The amount one is willing to pay".

If you need a number, I can't think of a better one than 10%.

We have been working on our 1975 Douglas 32 for 8 years.

The annual slip and storage fees are about 20% of the purchase price.

We have been performing a very extensive refit (with the rule that the work can't interfere significantly with the sailing season) and have one more year before we head south on her. She'll be as close to what we want as we can get for that kind of money.

Annual fees plus materials = 50% of purchase price.

If I include lost opportunity cost, (the money I could have made working on other boats vs working on and sailing my own) the cost of ownership is about 100% of the purchase price per year.

1975 Douglas 32 for sale, $1,000,000, (negotiable). ;-)
Old 14-08-2016, 09:56   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have spent 30% of the value of my boat on upgrades this year alone!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 10:30   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: average cost of owning formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
................... It seems cost might increase as the boat ages. The more things age, the more they need repair or replacement ...................
With enough age you are likely to reach an equilibrium. I've replaced the following on my 44 year old boat,- Fuel tanks, water tanks, electrical wiring, plumbing hose, heads, holding tanks, engine, dinghies, outboards, air conditioners, windlass, sails, water pumps, macerater pumps, anchors, chain, auto pilot, refrig/freezer, air conditioners, AC & DC distribution panels, life lines, solar panels, running rigging, standing rigging, diesel generator, deck coring, port lights, rub rail, GPS, depth sounder, radar, wind generator, dinghy davits, hand rails, companionway slides & crib boards, rudder, navigation lights, galley sink, oven, water heater, through-hulls, chain plates, mattresses, interior and exterior cushions, exhaust systems, cabinetry, spreaders, dining table, hydraulic steering ram, shafts, bearings, props, compass, VHFs, door handles & locks and more.

I do have my original hull, masts, winches, genoa tracks, booms and topsides gel coat.

I don't keep an expense log and I do most all DIY. Though I think of myself as living inexpensively, when I scan my list and divide it by the 31 years of ownership for this boat; then, I'm probably not living below Minaret's formula that he presented in post #2.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:01   #24

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
Is there any standard formula for annual cost of yacht ownership either per foot or by another metric.
===

There is no accurate formula because there are too many variables that don't correlate with size or any other dimension. Start off by looking at some of the major cost factors:

1. Depreciation/amortization, i.e., purchase payments, time value of money, reduction in value with age, etc.

2. Storage/dockage/moorage, etc.

3. Maintenance/repairs/replacement.

4. Insurance.

Some of the above are loosely related to size but far more important are age, geographic location, type and amount of usage, initial cost.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:11   #25

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

Over the past 19 years we have spent appx $9000 USD per year for ALL costs of boat ownership including repairs, upgrades, marinas, food and drink while aboard, haulouts, and travel to and from the boat. We do all boat work ourselves and live aboard 6 months a year.
Old 14-08-2016, 17:47   #26

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk2

Hi, you are in luck. I just did the actual calculations on my yacht last week.
Over the last 12 months we spent $6,185 on a yacht valued at $80,000. Therefore - small sample - but our annual maintenance cost runs at 7.7%. And this is on a boat where we have the attitude - "if it does not work - then replace it immediately" - cheers - hope this helps
Old 14-08-2016, 18:32   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

Some real numbers on 42ft sloop built in 1981 over last 26 years of ownership.

Some factors to consider:

1. I am in the marine business and do much of the maintenance myself, though not all, especially on engine;

2. Being in the business most of what I buy is at wholesale or dealer cost;

3. Figures in graph below do NOT include my time (which is worth about $100/hour on current market);

4. Figures include most of cost of dockage, fuel, insurance, etc., so it's sort of a total cost of ownership picture, though not including my own time;

5. Boat has cruised extensively from Grenada to Maine several times, spent 11 years in Caribbean, etc.

6. I am obsessive about keeping boat in good mechanical, electrical, cruising repair. Also, I'm obsessive about equipment added and upgrades to the boat, choosing ONLY the very best available...no junk or fragile, cheapie stuff.

7. While boat is in excellent repair and could cruise just about anywhere, she is in need of cosmetic upgrades. A really first-class job would be in the $20-$30,000 range.

8. Boat is currently valued and insured for $115,000.

That said, I have seen boats for sale which have had a very wide range of maintenance over the years. Many have had owners who spent the absolute minimum, and these tend to be in pretty poor repair. Only a very few on the used market have been maintained in good to excellent repair.

Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	sbfcostsbyyear.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	129576

As you can see, cost each year varies widely. You may get away with very low costs for a few years, but sooner of later you're gonna have to pay the piper, or let the boat deteriorate from lack of needed repair.
Old 15-08-2016, 04:26   #28

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop

Forgetting or ignoring marina or mooring fees I have found that the average cost of maintenance and repairs is 8% of the purchase price each year. This is after you have brought the boat up to a reasonable standard following purchase. I have some good data on this as I have owned boats pretty much continually since I was 11 and I am 62 now.
Old 15-08-2016, 05:52   #29

Boat: Camper Nicholson 31

I've stopped trying to put a firm $ figure on maintaining the boat. Used to keep an XLS spread sheet and receipts on every nut and bolt, but in the end what value is there in doing this, something breaks you fix or replace it. A boat can be an expensive recreational activity or an investment like owning your home, although for the most part depreciative. Some years may be less some more expensive, just except that and enjoy your time on the water, and on the earth!!
Old 15-08-2016, 07:32   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

(...)

As you can see, cost each year varies widely. You may get away with very low costs for a few years, but sooner of later you're gonna have to pay the piper, or let the boat deteriorate from lack of needed repair.
Yep.

What is your feeling, if we allow for a standard-long period of ownership, say 10 plus years, what could the AVERAGE figure be?

15%? 20% ?

I would bet on a figure higher than 10% p.a.. We have a small boat, we have had it for over 10 years.

b.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: