Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 23:13   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Australian Registration - Marking Note Conditions ?

I am up to the stage of marking my boat. It says the name of the ship needs to be marked on each of the ships bows with sans serif block letters 100mm in height with waterproof paint.

The name is already on our boat in letters much bigger than this but not in sans serif and not on the bows. In other words it would be harder to identify the boat if we got rid of the name already there and complied to their minimum requirements. Are the authorities really going to care if we just leave it like it is (and obviously add our home port of Brisbane on the stern).

Also I would like to use CNC cut vinyl instead of paint? This is not 1976.

The marking note does not say to apply any numbers on the exterior of the boat. Are these numbers just for state registration, and do we need to get state registration before coming home?

dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 01:40   #2

Re: Australian Registration. Marking note conditions?

When in Aus, you don't need Australian registration. When outside Aus waters, who's going to police the Australian rules?

There are plenty of Aussie boats cruising overseas, which do not appear to have the officially required markings. We're close, but not sans serif.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 06:09   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Australian Registration. Marking note conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I am up to the stage of marking my boat. It says the name of the ship needs to be marked on each of the ships bows with sans serif block letters 100mm in height with waterproof paint.

The name is already on our boat in letters much bigger than this but not in sans serif and not on the bows. In other words it would be harder to identify the boat if we got rid of the name already there and complied to their minimum requirements. Are the authorities really going to care if we just leave it like it is (and obviously add our home port of Brisbane on the stern).

Also I would like to use CNC cut vinyl instead of paint? This is not 1976.

The marking note does not say to apply any numbers on the exterior of the boat. Are these numbers just for state registration, and do we need to get state registration before coming home?

IIRC, the marking note requires "someone" to sign it that says the marking complies with the requirements. Who that "someone" can be is defined on the paperwork. If it is still like this, then it is up to the "someone" to accept (or not) however you intend to do the marking.

The Official Number is permanently marked INSIDE the vessel. Again the requirements can be difficult to achieve but commonsense usually prevails if you meet the intent of the marking.

State registration is a COMPLETELY separate issue. Here only numbers are used and they go either side of the boat usually near the stern.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 05:18   #4
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Australian Registration - Marking Note Conditions ?

That's pretty much what I thought. The fine is $1000 though. However the name is very obviously displayed as can be seen in the pics.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 00:00   #5

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but we are facing the same problem with the marking note... With the addition that our boat is just 34 feet and there is barely enough space for our 13 letters name (we kept the prior name, maybe we should have thought about that one, but too late).

My question is, may we end up having a problem with the insurance in case we end up having to make a claim? We are insured with Pantaenius, so removed from Oz, but just wondering whether that is a risk...
mardefondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 01:43   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

In Victoria, under Vic reg, you need 150 mm high block letters for the number on each side of the bow,
The name I dont think is needed,

I brought mine back from Fiji with the American name and port on the Transom,
No one has even mentioned the numbers on the boat,

But I do give the Vic rego numbers when asked, But I do have to attach a Rego sticker on the boat near the cockpit that can be seen by authorities if they are looking from their boat,
Its the same size as a car rego sticker,

I never had Australian Rego, Its too dear, $1200-00 approx.
Vic rego is about $70-00 per annum,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 15:52   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

HI guys, I was going to post a new thread but noticed this one.

So I'll give my input to the current question of Mardfondo. Aust Shipping Registration is not about insurance, but about recognition when coming in and out of the country. It's policed by Federal authorities when entering and Leaving Australia from or to overseas ports only.

My question - I live in Tasmania where I have found a brocure of MAST, the local marine authority which seems to accept that if a vessel has National Registration, it does not also have to be registered with State registration. But, this seems to be contentious in other states. I've been told that Queensland will not accept National Registration but only state registration even on visiting ships from another state. I'd like to confirm this is accurate. Does anyone know? The National Registration is Commonwealth Law, which I would have thought over rides the state law. Does anyone from various states know of what legislation in your state covers this one way or another? Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 17:07   #8

From what I gather, Australian rego is only required if you go overseas, More than 200 miles offshore,

In Australian waters it is just a waste of money, Approx $1200-00

You do need your states rego if you sail in Australia, and they do police it, Its compulsory,

Its like driving a car with out rego,

My Vic licence has the same number as my boat licence, even tho it is on a separate card,

I believe Queensland likes to try and get you to change your boat rego to Queensland if your sailing in their waters, But I could be wrong on that one,
It just depends on how long your staying there, and the mood of the copper,

If your going overseas, The rego is to prove clearly who owns the boat and where it actually comes from, Other wise, they can sieze your boat, Not a desirable thing to happen,

Australian rego, they are still dithering with it, even they dont know what they are doing,
They are still trying to get their act together on it,

Whole different story if you were a commercial vessel,

Australian Customs have a website, full of info on it, Grab a coffee, get relaxed and read away, Hahahahahaha,
Old 11-08-2012, 17:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
My question - I live in Tasmania where I have found a brocure of MAST, the local marine authority which seems to accept that if a vessel has National Registration, it does not also have to be registered with State registration. But, this seems to be contentious in other states. I've been told that Queensland will not accept National Registration but only state registration even on visiting ships from another state. I'd like to confirm this is accurate. Does anyone know? The National Registration is Commonwealth Law, which I would have thought over rides the state law. Does anyone from various states know of what legislation in your state covers this one way or another? Ted
Its important to get the distinction between Australian and State registration right. Australian registration is identification for purposes of international movement. State registration is a vehicle for taxation. Once established, there are no ongoing costs for Australian registration. State registration requires an annual tax levy.

Wiith regard to Qld, some info is here
Recreational ships (Maritime Safety Queensland)
scroll down to the interstate boat section. It is clear that if you are moving to Qld, you have 14 days to effect Qld registration. If you are passing through/visiting, the situation is much less clear. Gossip is that you have a period of 3 months grace, but I don't know. You would have to check with Qld Transport (not MSQ). The situation with visiting international boats is even more unclear. Gossip is that MSQ and the police leave them alone.

You will see that Qld registration is handled jointly by MSQ and Qld Transport, a recipe for confusion. Transport collects the tax, MSQ and the police enforce. If you are contemplating coming to Qld, please be aware that enforcement is draconian. You might also note the very high rates of tax in Qld.

A similar confusion reigns over boat driver's licences.

For motor vehicle registration and motor vehicle driver's licence, the situation is clearly spelt out in Qld Transport web site: you have 14 days to changeover if moving to Qld, 3 months grace for a visit. Gossip is that the same rules apply to boats.

Lee

PS Let me give you an idea of enforcement. A friend with a timber boat has his registration number carved in pieces of timber, clamped to the rail. He had the numbers off to varnish the timber. The police turned up while he was varnishing, and issued a $220 on the spot fine for not having his numbers displayed. The stories are legion.
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 17:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
From what I gather, Australian rego is only required if you go overseas, More than 200 miles offshore,

In Australian waters it is just a waste of money, Approx $1200-00

You do need your states rego if you sail in Australia, and they do police it, Its compulsory,

Its like driving a car with out rego,

My Vic licence has the same number as my boat licence, even tho it is on a separate card,

I believe Queensland likes to try and get you to change your boat rego to Queensland if your sailing in their waters, But I could be wrong on that one,
It just depends on how long your staying there, and the mood of the copper,

If your going overseas, The rego is to prove clearly who owns the boat and where it actually comes from, Other wise, they can sieze your boat, Not a desirable thing to happen,

Australian rego, they are still dithering with it, even they dont know what they are doing,
They are still trying to get their act together on it,

Whole different story if you were a commercial vessel,

Australian Customs have a website, full of info on it, Grab a coffee, get relaxed and read away, Hahahahahaha,
Thanks Mr B for taking the time, but I'm actually seeking clarification, not more guessing. I've researched this extenstively which is why my question.

Having a Yacht registerd with the Australian Ships Registery gives you far more benefits than if your just going over seas too. But, all that information is on their web page. And the $1200 is a once off, it's not an annual fee.

I live in Tasmania, and if your a registered ship, in Tasmania you don't need state registration. And it's really nothing like owning a car which by having your car registered you are also paying for third party insurance.
Old 11-08-2012, 18:48   #11

Try a phone call to the Marine Board in Launceston,

Maybe even a visit to the Water Police, Who are very helpfull,

A lot of it is guess work, because they dont know either, And Thats the Govt departments,
Old 11-08-2012, 18:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Try a phone call to the Marine Board in Launceston,

Maybe even a visit to the Water Police, Who are very helpfull,

A lot of it is guess work, because they dont know either, And Thats the Govt departments,
Launceston Marine board can't answer for Queensland.. I have previously chatted with them when I initially sort the situation in Tasmania and they simply said yes you need to be registered in Tasmania. Then I showed them a brocure from MAST in Tasmania which identifies that you don't.. They weren't aware of it because they don't police the Federal Act. . As for the marine police, I served with Tasmania Police for 14 years, a number of years on marine duties in Tasmania. We didn't police it either.

But I'm not actually after what some one 'thinks', including bureocrats. What I'm after is essentially chapter and verse as the bible ones among us would say.. That is,, chapter and section of legislation.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2012, 19:53   #13

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

Ted,

I think the information you are looking at is out of date. The requirements changed in Tas about 10 years ago. So if your boat is Aust Registered, but you say live and keep your boat in Tas, it does needs to have State registration.

This was done as Aust Registered boats (and there are quite a few hundred in Tas) were making no financial contribution (but still consuming..) to the maintenance of State owned marine infrastructure, navigation aids, VHF network, Telephone & the new VHF weather service (and my salary!). We also send regular news letters focusing on new facilities & safety issues for vessel operators.

MAST receives no funding from government for any of those services and needs to fully cost recover to provide them. Even our harshest critics admit the quality of public infrastructure & services is far better than the old regional Marine Boards provided some 15-20 years ago. The $70 annual fee is not overly expensive and pretty much every dollar received is put back in to services and does not disappear into Government coffers never to be seen again like other govt departments.

PM me if you need any further information.

Cheers
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:04   #14

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

Ted,
Follow this link for the applicable legislation:

http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/domino/mast/mastweb.nsf/e8b363ac427c4ab9ca2573920015fccc/e4502739ff37c4baca2575ed0008e91a/$FILE/CONSOLIDATED%20M&S%20%28Motor%20Boat%20and%20Licen ces%29%20By-Laws%202008%20010710.pdf

Requirement to be registered is under part 2 clause 5. Clause 6 gives registration exemptions and should be read in conjunction with the definition of a competent authority. A competent authority refers to a State department or authority. As the Commonwealth is not a State department or authority, then it follows that registration with the Commonwealth is not recognised by the State.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:08   #15

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

The situation in NSW and I suspect every other state is that State registration is essential. Each Australian state recognises the rego status of other Australian states and exempts an interstate boat from needing local rego. (same as for cars) Australian rego is optional and therefore of no concern to state jurisdictions. If your boat is based in NSW is needs to be registered in NSW. That you may or may not sail out of Australia is of no concern to state authorities. It is a federal matter and you must comply with federal laws for this. BTY - Australian rego is only $1190 and it's a once off fee. You only need it if going overseas and your state rego will only need to be current when you return to Australia.

Tags
Australia, registration