Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 16:26   #1

Aus Sailing Spots

Hey everyone.. I'm 15 and me and my friend are interested in doing some sailing trips on our own... We have both sailed a boat before and the boat we have we both know very well... We live in Australia and were wondering if there were any good sailing spots for us to sail... If you know any it would be great if u could tell us thanks
holy ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:36   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: aus sailing spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy ship View Post
Hey everyone.. I'm 15 and me and my friend are interested in doing some sailing trips on our own... We have both sailed a boat before and the boat we have we both know very well... We live in Australia and were wondering if there were any good sailing spots for us to sail... If you know any it would be great if u could tell us thanks

As you live in Australia, like me, you should be well aware that there are heaps of great spots to sail to.

But first of all what part of Oz are you in then we can take it from there?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:36   #3

Hi holy ship, welcome to CF
I also live in OZ and its a big place with a lot of coast, prehaps you could tell us:
which state the boat is in?
whats your time framework?
what sort of boat is it and how it is configured?
what do your parents think?
regards.
Old 07-02-2012, 21:51   #4

I live in Victoria and the boat is with us.... We are planning to go for a 2 week trip someware inland probs... Like Gippsland lakes but I was looking for other options... The boat is a 15 foot minnow sailing boat... So I was thinking more inland stuff
Old 07-02-2012, 21:52   #5

Our parents are fine with it.. so long as we organize it
Old 07-02-2012, 22:15   #6

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

A 2 week trip on the lakes & rivers sounds like a great adventure but as I'm not familiar with the Gippsland Lakes & the Minnow 15 I'll leave it to those who are.

Make sure that when setting out on an adventure like this on a small vessel like the Minnow that you both have inflatable lifejackets which are easy to wear and also have a Personal GPS equipped EPIRB which you should wear on a belt at all times as you would be aware that it can get very rough on a lake & very quickly.

You can hire them if you don't have ready access to one & i'm sure that your parents would be happy that you had one with you and I'm sure that they would cover the cost as it would give them peace of mind.

Have a great time guys - let us know how you go.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 00:13   #7

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Hi guys

We learned to sail in our little Farr trailer sailor on the Gippsland lakes - you will love it! Fantastic, protected waters, comfortable anchorages, huge open water lakes where you can sail for hours and hours without tacking (unless you want to!) awesome fishing - bream and flathead in the lakes, salmon on the beach-side, GREAT pub at Metung which you can pull your boat up to (oh, hang on youre only 15! ooops!) Make sure you go to Bunga Arm near Paynesville - we spent 4 days beached there (on purpose!) fishing, soaking up the sun and having a blast. A good spot is at "The First Blowhole" where you can trek over the sanddunes to the beach to fish, camp etc, but if there are other boats there, any spots between there and the end of the Arm are great.

Wherever you choose to go - have a safe trip and most of all have fun!
Old 08-02-2012, 00:18   #8

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

PS there is an excellent book called "Creeks and Harbours of the Gippsland Lakes" which has lots of info about sailing there, safety, maps etc. You can get it from Boat Books.
Old 08-02-2012, 00:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

I hope for your sake you don't actually have a Minnow as they are only around 8.5 ft long and for a single sailor! You are probably thinking of a Mirror class dinghy.

I've spent many weeks on the Gippsland Lakes and at 15 I did my first trip with friends on the Lakes in our 25' trailer sailer (a Binks 25).

Bunga Arm (first blowhole) is good, nicely sheltered, also Duck / Picnic arm is good and close to Paynesvile and safe, you could spend a couple of days there mucking around. The Mitchell or Tambo rivers should have camping spots. Be careful and check to see if you need permits for camping. That would be Parks Victoria for the permits.

Remember if you are not in a club race you need the full array of safety equipment including anchor and flares is they are required. You need a waterproof bag for your phone which should work (if charged) in all areas mentioned. An EPIRB is not mandatory but recommended. Choose your weather well as I would not sail from Paynesville to Metung in a Mirror on many days. I've done it a few times in a Bethwaite 14 and at was interesting!

There aren't many safe spots between Metung and Lakes Entrance for camping as I can't think of anywhere you can camp that is legal. More prospects are near Paynesville. There should be a caravan park at Metung or Lakes Entrance that you could comfortably camp in.

Enjoy!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 00:58   #10

Hi guys,
i wish that i had made the oportunity that you are making for yourselves. I think that most of us have been humbled by the achivements of "kids" your age or a little older. The way that you are going about things is exactly what most on this forum would sugest. Unfortunatly i dont have any useful information that would assist you in Victoria. If you havent already look at the link below i would try and get in contact with someone there.

So you would like to start sailing....

Hopfully some one from down that way will see your posts and be able to help. Anyway good luck in your sailing adventures and let us know how you go.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15   #11

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Eildon Weir is another inland lake, Freshwater lake,

Huge, and you can camp on most places around the shore line,

Its currently full again now that the drought has broken,

Have a good time and I wish you both well in your endevours,

Eildon and Bonnie Doon both have shops in walking distance and cater for boaties of all kinds,

Nagambie and Hume Weir also, But I think they are draining Nagambi, Or you could go up to
Lake Eucumbine in NSW,

Most of the other lakes in Victoria are freshwater Catchments and People and fishing in the water are Prohibited,

Hume weir would be the best as you would get good unobstructed wind for your sails,
Followed by Eildon Weir, stay in the middle for wind,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Have a great time guys - let us know how you go.
thanks we will
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45   #13

Thanks guys... you have been great we will let you know how it goes.. and we will check out everything you have said
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21   #14

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Aus Sailing Spots

Yeh.. I think the Gipsland system would be perfect for you,.Lots of open water as well as some great camp spots along the way. 60 Ks of lakes, creeks and bays to explore. But check your forecast each day before you set out. If the easterlys are set to blow for a few days, I would start at the metung end of the lakes and sail downwind for the whole trip. Enjoy it
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:31   #15

Boat: No boat yet. Bareboat charters only
Re: Aus Sailing Spots

Another vote for Gippsland Lakes. Sail for days, swim, fish, surf (over to 90 mile beach) and good places to stock up on food (Metung, Paynesville, loch Sport)

A great spot
Oz_Avanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing