Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 20:12   #1

Atoms self steering system

I have the opportunity to pick up an Atoms self steering system for my Cal 2-29 pretty cheap. I am trying to get some feedback from anyone who has one or has used one in the past.

So how are they? Are the parts availability non existent? I have not been able to come up with much info and that can't be that good... Lol
HJV11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 20:40   #2

Re: Atoms self steering system

I don’t think you can get any factory parts for the Atoms, but if it is all there when you buy it you can fabricate any part you may need in the future.

I own one and would not own anything else. If I were to give it a downside I would say that it is a little delicate sitting there on the transom but I am talking about someone bouncing off the boat and damaging the Atoms, not that it is delicate in its workings. For as light as they made this self-steering device it functions very well and is very durable.

You will need to have some spares fabricated for the Atoms if you plan to go off shore. You will need extra windvanes, an extra paddle and some spare small parts. The most delicate part is the drag link that connects the windvane on top to the bell crank on the paddle assembly. This link is pretty light and the ball joint connectors on the ends can fail. I carry extra ball joints(machined myself from acetal ) and an extra drag link. The ball joint on the top end of the rod usually fails because of UV exposure over time.

I think this windane is pretty easy to set and steers my boat well, even overcomes some pretty stiff weather helm at times. I have a bigger vane that I use for downwind and it helps to a point but like them all, you still need apparent wind to get it to work dependably.

I like my Atoms. You should have no problem with it handling your size boat. If you need any help getting it set up or want to talk about parts and whatnot, feel free to PM me.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 21:05   #3

Boat: Ross 780
Um saudade, sounds like there might be a market for you for spare Atoms parts...

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
I don’t think you can get any factory parts for the Atoms, but if it is all there when you buy it you can fabricate any part you may need in the future.

I own one and would not own anything else. If I were to give it a downside I would say that it is a little delicate sitting there on the transom but I am talking about someone bouncing off the boat and damaging the Atoms, not that it is delicate in its workings. For as light as they made this self-steering device it functions very well and is very durable.

You will need to have some spares fabricated for the Atoms if you plan to go off shore. You will need extra windvanes, an extra paddle and some spare small parts. The most delicate part is the drag link that connects the windvane on top to the bell crank on the paddle assembly. This link is pretty light and the ball joint connectors on the ends can fail. I carry extra ball joints(machined myself from acetal ) and an extra drag link. The ball joint on the top end of the rod usually fails because of UV exposure over time.

I think this windane is pretty easy to set and steers my boat well, even overcomes some pretty stiff weather helm at times. I have a bigger vane that I use for downwind and it helps to a point but like them all, you still need apparent wind to get it to work dependably.

I like my Atoms. You should have no problem with it handling your size boat. If you need any help getting it set up or want to talk about parts and whatnot, feel free to PM me.
You have a PM sir.

RJ
Old 20-09-2013, 05:31   #5

Does anyone have pics (hi-res if possible) of the Atoms self steering gear? Specifically looking for the arm linking the wind reference to the water reference rudder.

Ay help is appreciated.