Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 09:39   #1

Atlantic Sailboats?

I am looking at buying an Atlantic 49" sailboat. I tried to research the boat some but all I find are power boats and schooners Does any know anything about them or where I could get some imfo.

Thanks
PJ
pjandart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 09:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Atlantic Sailboats?

If its the aluminium yachts. Great boats. See here:

Atlantic Aluminium Quality Sailing Yachts | Home | Atlantic Yachts
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 12:28   #3

Boat: Boereal 44

Very beautiful boats and I'm sure they sail very well in all conditions. But do you realize they are fully painted aluminum boats. On the 51 footer there may be close to 70 thousand Euro in paint work. That is time spent prepping aluminum and painting. You should check to see if Atlantic will do a bare hull and painted deck. Nice boats though.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 13:28   #4

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
If you are looking at the Atlantic 49 it's more likely that you are thinking about the Greek built GRP Atlantic Yachts

They are relatively inexpensive but not particularly great boats Be very careful and have a surveyor involved. Older versions very often have moisture problems in the deck structure

They were built primarily for the Greek island charter market
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:58   #5

I'am also interested in information about Atlantic 49 sailboats... they seem to be quite reasenably priced... but i can't seem to find much information about them... seaworthiness, sailing performance etc.

and im looking at the sailboat from the 1990+ not the aluminium newer boats...

any information would be appreciated...
mmongstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 10:57   #6

I recently bought an Atlantic 31 and I really like it! True, they were manufactured in Greece between mid 80's - mid 90's by a company now gone defunct.

The 31 and the 49 is a Jacopin (J&J) design - and the main reason why I got mine. I believe that their designs were really fairly groundbreaking for their time (in Greece at least - fast hulls, wide stern sections, open transoms, nice woodwork interiors), and their build quality is regarded as standard. I have not heard any bad words - everyone over here (in Greece that is) consider them to be well-built, honest standard boats. Above all, when talking of 20+ year old boats, it all depends on the amount of care taken!

Most, if not all, the fittings were imported and are therefore recognisable (Goiot, Lofrans, Lewmar, etc) - and therefore also easily serviced/replaced. The hulls were made in Greece and from my research the consensus says thick, quality resin hulls, average gelcoats (spider cracks, etc).

Both the 31 and 49 have a reputation for speed and many are still raced - since many are privately owned nowadays. Indeed, they were widely used in the charter industry and have therefore withstood a lot of abuse. Even so, I see a lot of them still going strong and owners seem to like them.

To be honest, I would not cross the... Atlantic Ocean in one (sic), but if you want an economic boat that looks good, sails fast and has a nice interior... check them out. Right now their prices are low - but the same applies to anything in the Greek market... A 49 foot boat is an awkward thing to own (i.e. expensive) and they can be purchased for very reasonable sums.

Just my 2 cents - although I must stress that I am no pro, just a weekend sailor... If you need more help, hire a pro!

You may want to check some boats in this classifieds website (Car.gr -), although it's not all translated into english:

All sailing boats
Atlantic sailing boats

PS> Keep in mind that Ex-charter boats are VAT liable in Greece, if transferred to private use. The tax is calculated on the current market price, not the original purchase price...
antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 10:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaris View Post
To be honest, I would not cross the... Atlantic Ocean in one (sic), but if you want an economic boat that looks good, sails fast and has a nice interior... check them out. Right now their prices are low - but the same applies to anything in the Greek market... A 49 foot boat is an awkward thing to own (i.e. expensive) and they can be purchased for very reasonable sums."
Thanx for the answer just one question... when you say that you wouldnt cross the atlantic ocean in it... is there a specific reason for that? or just a feeling?
Old 31-01-2013, 10:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmongstad View Post
Thanx for the answer just one question... when you say that you wouldnt cross the atlantic ocean in it... is there a specific reason for that? or just a feeling?
Well, I dunno, I am a little apprehensive about declaring that any a boat is blue water capable... not enough experience...so, yes, its just a feeling! I've seen photos of people crossing in total buckets, so in that perspective I'd do it!

PS: I am talking about the boat I've just bought! So, downplaying aside, this boats is great!
Old 31-01-2013, 11:13   #9

Quote:
Well, I dunno, I am a little apprehensive about declaring that any a boat is blue water capable... not enough experience...so, yes, its just a feeling! I've seen photos of people crossing in total buckets, so in that perspective I'd do it!

PS: I am talking about the boat I've just bought! So, downplaying aside, this boats is great!
Just checking if there was any specific reason... i understand perfectly about declaring a boat bluewater capable.. especially for other people.. but like you said... people are crossing in all kind of stuff.. but would like it to feel safe and comfortable also.. (at least as much as possible )

i've now just got some contact info from a norwegian guy who sailed an atlantic 49 the west coast of norway to the northern islands i norway( svalbard), i will call him tomorrow to get the his verdict of the boats capabillities...
Old 31-01-2013, 11:26   #10

Sure, nothing better than first-hand experience. I'd be interested to hear his views!
Old 31-01-2013, 11:51   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Or if it's a steel boat it might be a Kanter Atlantic, built in Port Stanley, Ontario.
Old 31-01-2013, 12:18   #12

Quote:
Sure, nothing better than first-hand experience. I'd be interested to hear his views!
will post them after i talk to him..
Old 31-01-2013, 12:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Or if it's a steel boat it might be a Kanter Atlantic, built in Port Stanley, Ontario.
No its the greek built atlantic 49 (built in GRP not steel..)
Old 18-03-2013, 01:49   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to tonybonelli
I have Atlantic 49. Nice and strong boat, compared to modern cheap GRP boats. But you have to spend some money to make it nice and good for private use.
Old 18-03-2013, 13:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybonelli View Post
I have Atlantic 49. Nice and strong boat, compared to modern cheap GRP boats. But you have to spend some money to make it nice and good for private use.
thanks for replying....

I understand that for an almost 20 year old charter boat there will be upgrades and service to be made...

my ultimate concern and that you touched is the strength... its good to hear you deem it strong... how will you say the rudder and keel construction is?

best regards

martin