Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 21:47   #16

Re: Atlantic Crossing - Which of 'these' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottysailorboy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the boat on the left looks like a Pied Piper 28 which were built by Liberty Yachts back in the late seventies. A very capable seaworthy boat in it's day. I'm not certain of the condition of yours.
The boat on the right is definitely not a folkboat. The keel on a folkboat is a full traditional with a cut away forefoot (like the boat on the left). And the cabin top is completely different from the boat shown here. It is low, almost full width, curving slightly down towards the bow and it has two eliptical portlights on each side. They also had lapstrake hulls. Even the fibreglass versions were molded to look like lapstrake wooden boats.
However, having said all of that, with some fixing up I would take the one the left for the ocean passage. I would take the girlfriend too. It can get mighty lonely out there by yourself.

Cheers and, as they say here in Newfoundland, "long may your big jib draw".

The full keel is a 1969 continental folkboat and was built by whitby boats in ontario...the finn keel is a 1964 hinterhoeller hr28 and was built by hinterhoeller boats in ontario...no doughts to the origin of these boats.
the continental folkboat was a modifyed version of an imported scandinavian folkboat, it was adapted for the grate lakes and to pleas demands of family cruisers...later this very boat was stretched and became the well known alberg 30, sins both coastd the same to built the continental 25 was discontinued.

cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:16   #17

I'm sorry but I'm only familiar with the Scandinavian "folkboat", the true folkboat. Neither of yours match the true description of a folkboat.
The traditional full keel with cut away forefoot is fairly common. Morris Yachts used build a boat called the "Frances" that had this type of hull shape and it was not considered to be a "folkboat". Although it was of similar size and shape and could easily be mistaken for one by the untrained eye.
You need to explore the folkboat history further. Wooden Boat magazine had an excellent article about them several years ago. Go to their website, it should be archived there.
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28   #18

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm only familiar with the Scandinavian "folkboat", the true folkboat. Neither of yours match the true description of a folkboat.
The traditional full keel with cut away forefoot is fairly common. Morris Yachts used build a boat called the "Frances" that had this type of hull shape and it was not considered to be a "folkboat". Although it was of similar size and shape and could easily be mistaken for one by the untrained eye.
You need to explore the folkboat history further. Wooden Boat magazine had an excellent article about them several years ago. Go to their website, it should be archived there.
iv read a little on the folkboat, if memory serve me well the original wood was used to built the first fiberglass folkboat...this model retained the planking of the original and was called the International folkboat... at the same time a new imegrant in whitby onterio started importing scandinavian folkboat in canada then after seeing hinterhoellers sucess with the shark24 fiberglass conversion he started producing fiberglass folkboats as it was cheeper then importing them...the planking was not retained as ther was no benifits...overall the continental folkboat has the same sail qualities of the original.
so they say?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 13:04   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm only familiar with the Scandinavian "folkboat", the true folkboat.
The true one is not called Scandinavian but Nordic.

The IF is also very much true.

They were also built outside of Nordic countries, with and without modifications to hull, cabin and rig.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 20:25   #20

Boat: c and c 30 MK1

I owned a fibreglass 1965 folkboat built by Whitby Boatworks for many years. Mine ws a 3/4 fractional rig, but later models went to masthead rigs. The boat sailed wonderfully in heavy air but was a bit of a dog in light air. As I understand it, Carl Alberg designed the "continental" folkboat, adapting the Whitby boatworks built "continental " folkboats from the wooden scandinavian folkeboot, giving it a higher coachhouse for more interior height, along with the enclosed modern cockpit. Whitby, like all other builders in the fifties and sixties overbuilt them. The hull was 5/8 to 7/8" thickness alternate matt and roving. The weakness on the boats was the use of regular black iron keelbolts. On mine, I had to drill and tap for new 3/4" s/s bolts to ensure the keel didn't leave the boat.
Pete Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 20:39   #21

Boat: Tartan 30

They're both seaworthy designs. Take whichever needs the least amount of work and/or has the most usable living/storage space.
Old 26-10-2018, 16:30   #22

Re: Atlantic crossing, which of these?

Hi,

We recently acquired HR28 hull number 31 . I would love to know more about your experiences with the boat. Was it you who rounded the cape with her ? On the net I can find almost nothing on the boat - not surprising I guess since such a limited numbers were made.
TwoPints is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing