Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-08-2016, 08:48   #1

Armaflex on steel hull

I've a 36 ft Tahitiana steel gaff ketch that I'm looking to insulate as she spends most of her time in and around Ireland. The boat is a self build, and well done, with only a few minor bits of light corrosion on the interior (where pipes have rubbed etc over the last ten years since it was launched). I'm considering purchasing rolls of 8mx1mx13mm armflex type o insulation and wanted to run my plan by you guys to see if you have any comments or suggestions.

Step 1. look over entire hull interior. wire wheel brush back all corrosion to pure steel, then prime and paint with two part epoxy. (leaving the areas that aren't showing corrosion alone.)
step 2. wipe everything down with soapy water, let it dry, then with denatured alcohol.
step 3. apply armaflex to the interior of the hull, adding extra bits where sheets meet to coverlap the gap.
step 4. put wood interior back into the boat

I've a couple questions:
1. Do I need to worry about overcoating the armaflex with some sort of sealer/paint?
2. Is it worth it to cover the entire interior of the hull with a brand new coat of epoxy or only the areas that are showing rust?

thanks so much for any suggestions or tips from folks who may have worked with armaflex before.

jonahmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 08:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Armaflex on steel hull

Hopefully some steel boat officianados will pipe up. I would be reluctant to put anything on steel that wasn't fully air tight..... like paint etc. Trapped moisture can be worse than wet but able to air out I would think.
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 09:21   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Re: Armaflex on steel hull

Good choice! Armaflex is airtight closed cell foam, only such product I'd accept in my boat. Best to choose this Armacell Product Selector - AP Armaflex SA, AP Armaflex FS SA - Self-Adhering Sheet and Roll Insulation the self adhesive fire and mold resisting type IMHO.
Dunno much about steel boats to give any advice of the preps..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

hull, steel, steel hull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: