Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 09:39   #1

Boat: Aries 32
Aries 32: Origins and Ice

There's been a persistent rumor that Aries 32 sailboats were manufactured in Sausalito, CA. The joinery (and title, but let's not get technical) in my boat suggests otherwise, but I now believe I now have definitive proof of the origins.

This all started with my icebox pissing me off - ice goes in, water comes out. Stinky water. On top of my cabin sole, over the course of a week or so. And my 5 cubic foot box was taking up about 5 cubic yards of boat. Something's gotta give.

A little beating and cussing and sawzall action later, and we have bare hull, complete with 30-year-old teak sawdust, fiberglass bits, leaked-out pour-in foam slobbers...

...and a chunk of structural newspaper that could have only been left behind when the boat was manufactured. I speak a little Chinese, but I can't read it. I'm pretty sure this says "made in Sausalito California with American teak," but maybe someone can confirm.

Turns out the stainless liner was backed by about 1.5" of foam - better than I expected, and in great shape despite being wet probably forever. The drain tube, located about 3/4" from the bottom so the thing can never really dry, was just stuck into the cabinet behind the icebox - a cabinet with no limber hole, so everything could drain back under the fridge and, eventually, out on top of my sole. Sweet.

There will be an Engel drop-in going in the hole. The rest will probably end up as unclaimed space - deep lockers are a rarity on this boat, and I'm sure we'll find something to do with it.

The stainless liner is for sale. I put a small dent in it trying to get it out, but I'm sure that will buff out. If anyone is interested, we can negotiate a price based on the very minimal damage.

Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 22:30   #2

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi
Re: Aries 32: Origins and Ice

Where's the blog posted Dusty??? Great read. Can't wait to see the finished results. Rendezvoused with Anton and his Horizon this past Sunday out near Angel Island. We really have got to get the big Aries race organized sometime.

My cell #: 415-816-7423. Email: chuckbullett at g mail dot com. Call or write and let's connect. The Chester P has a sister ship: Charlie Chan, which is on an adjacent dock in Emeryville. Kinda cool. Charlie CHan also has a wooden spar set up like The Chester P.

What will you replace the icebox with? Just curious.
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:41   #3

Boat: Aries 32

Yea, I'm the worst blogger ever. Maybe someday I'll catch that thing up. There have been a lot of bolts turned since I last updated that blog - I have radar and AIS and sonar and a rebuilt heat exchanger and mast steps and probably some other stuff. Even managed to sail the damned thing out a couple times....

I'm going to drop in a counter-mount Engel (Engel MB40 Drop-In (attached compressor)), probably with an extra inch or two of insulation, and see what happens with the rest of the hole. The current plan is to just lid it and have a big deep locker, but I'm easily distracted....

I'll try to catch up to you one of these days - I'd still love to see your boat in person.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 22:48   #4

Can we count on you for the cold beer??? Ice box project is pretty damn impressive.
Old 24-12-2014, 07:30   #5

FIRE!

The Chester P's interior had a fire sometime between December 8th and the 20th. I hugely bummed.

Walking up to the boat after getting back from NYC I had no clue. She looks perfect from outside.

Still waiting for Boat US to get it all together. The agreed Hull Value is only $25,000. The v-berth was the flash point??? Very confusing... most of the equipment was off while we were away.

More later... but my Aries-32 isn't looking so good. Not sure if this will "buff out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Yea, I'm the worst blogger ever. Maybe someday I'll catch that thing up. There have been a lot of bolts turned since I last updated that blog - I have radar and AIS and sonar and a rebuilt heat exchanger and mast steps and probably some other stuff. Even managed to sail the damned thing out a couple times....

I'm going to drop in a counter-mount Engel (Engel MB40 Drop-In (attached compressor)), probably with an extra inch or two of insulation, and see what happens with the rest of the hole. The current plan is to just lid it and have a big deep locker, but I'm easily distracted....

I'll try to catch up to you one of these days - I'd still love to see your boat in person.

Tags
aries