Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 14:01   #1

Are these repairs manageable?

Hey guys - I am looking at purchasing my first sailboat. Just to make everyone aware I do plan on having a marine survey done and I am quite experienced with boats. I am quite handy and don't mind doing the work myself I have a limited budget so i know nothing I purchase will be perfect. Thereis a tanzer 26 I am very interested in and these are the issues that need attention. What are your thoughts assuming the price is right? Thanks !

"The price (negotiable) reflects some maintenance, needs OB motor, sails are OK for cruising (not racing), cracked forehatch needs a new Lexan plate (can be routered), bottom is sound but needs antifouling, throughhulls need inspection/replacement. Water system is old, some lights need work. But it's clean inside, we take the cushions in for the winter season. The galley has a gimballed propane stove, there is a depthsounder, older (non-chart) GPS, 12v gel deepcycle battery.
Hope this helps you decide things."
jc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:22   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Are these repairs manageable?

None of that would scare me if the price was right, but I would take the pessimistic end of the scale to be safe.

For instance, I would assume the through hulls will need to be replaced and that the sails are ready to be made into dusting rags. The gel battery is probably so much lead ballast (they seem hard enough to keep alive in a perfect charging regime). I am a little alarmed by the lighting problems, depending on the cause this could be as simple as a few new globes or as much as replacing the light fittings and wires. Often older fittings go to bits completely when you try to replace the globes. The hatch, depending on the construction, might be an easy job to swap in a new transparent panel or it might be a total PITA.

So no show stoppers, but plenty of variation depending on luck more than anything else. Good luck with the survey, but don't let it stop you doing your own survey just to be sure. My guy missed some whoppers, and lots of others here have had similar experiences.

P.S. I know nothing about this particular make and model of boat so I would be doing some serious googling to see if there are any known issues to check.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-09-2016, 20:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Are these repairs manageable?

Hull paint depends on where you are. If you dock in fresh water but sail in salt, you can sometimes get away with a economical bottom paint. Each environment kills the organisms from the other.
Proper thru hulls should last the life of the boat if cared for. They are easy to change out of the water, and I have changed several below the water line in the water. They need zincs, occasional cleaning and lube. The lights should be simple, bulbs, connections, switches. The is a current post for recommended 12v lights.
If you're going to tackle the water system, plan it out first. It pays to insulate the hot water pipes and tank. You may want valves to isolate sections for repair/leaks. Put in a valve that easily drains the whole system. Maybe into a shower/sink sump.
Put in a good propane detector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-explosion17.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	131246  
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 02:06   #4

Depends on your location, where I am on the north shore of Lk Ontario there are probably a hundred 25-27' boats available at any given time within 100 miles.
For me that list would be a deal breaker unless the boat was almost free.
Once again all comes down to location and availability, some areas have a lot of boats others just a few sailboats....Not many boats available - the price will be higher and selection limited.
I've sailed a number of different Tanzers, nice sailing boats. I find the 7.5 to be a bit different looking though.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 04:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Depends on your location, where I am on the north shore of Lk Ontario there are probably a hundred 25-27' boats available at any given time within 100 miles...
For instance, see ➥ Sailboats in Canada - 24' to 27' models

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 04:44   #6

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Depending on how you plan on using the boat and the purchase price, don't see any real show stoppers there. Most of what you mention in yous post are basically maintenance related items (except for the hatch, and OK, through hulls might not be maintenance but are easy enough to do). Survey will garner more info as well as doing your own survey as has been previously mentioned.

Good Luck!
Old 17-09-2016, 08:26   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Depends on your location, where I am on the north shore of Lk Ontario there are probably a hundred 25-27' boats available at any given time within 100 miles.
For me that list would be a deal breaker unless the boat was almost free.
+1 It's not so much that you don't have the ability to do these things or the knowledge to fix each item relatively frugally, it's that together they add up to a pile of things that the seller IS telling you about, but that's never actually the final punch list. What you don't know are the things that the seller hasn't mentioned or doesn't know enough about, which can become bigger issues. A blown out sail that was OK for cruising cost me $7K (on a larger boat so not apples to apples). Not having an OB though might cost you a grand or two as well, unless you plan to sail it exclusively, but even then you have to really mind the tides when there's no wind. See if you can cost each item up and then go look at it. That'll at least give you a baseline for other boats you look at for both the asking price and overall condition.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 08:55   #8

what ever you have estimated for material's, double it. What ever you have estimated for your labor hour's , triple them. You will have a more realistic idea of what you face.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:05   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
Hey guys - I am looking at purchasing my first sailboat. Just to make everyone aware I do plan on having a marine survey done and I am quite experienced with boats. I am quite handy and don't mind doing the work myself I have a limited budget so i know nothing I purchase will be perfect. Thereis a tanzer 26 I am very interested in and these are the issues that need attention. What are your thoughts assuming the price is right? Thanks !

"The price (negotiable) reflects some maintenance, needs OB motor, sails are OK for cruising (not racing), cracked forehatch needs a new Lexan plate (can be routered), bottom is sound but needs antifouling, throughhulls need inspection/replacement. Water system is old, some lights need work. But it's clean inside, we take the cushions in for the winter season. The galley has a gimballed propane stove, there is a depthsounder, older (non-chart) GPS, 12v gel deepcycle battery.
Tanzers are Ontario boats; you don't say whether this is a fresh-water vessel or not. Fresh-water is forgiving in some respects and a case can be made that a lake boat that's 30 years old has perhaps 20 years wear and tear on it because it's hauled for four to five months a year. That said, there's often original rigging (mine went 39 years without corrosion on my first boat) and original, not to code wiring (Romex house grade, untinned AC side, and common positive solder horror on the DC side) and the dreaded brass gate valve, which is frequently rusted in place and can't be closed. Throw in non-SS hose clamps, undoubled, and it's no surprise a few of these classic plastics sink at their docks every season.

However, none of these are terminal issues and are bargaining chips. To redo seacocks and through-hulls is not cheap and may require yoga, but if the hull and decks are sound, a Tanzer 26 is a Good Old Boat worthy of a facelift.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:16   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:

Anyone can try to buy a great boat at a bargain price, but its rarely successful. One generally gets what they pay for.

The best way to evaluate a boat, is to consider what the average boat of that make, model, and year is selling for. If there are several examples for sale, then take the avg list price and deduct 20% to get an approximation of the avg sell price.

Once you have the avg value now add or deduct for anything that is different from avg.

For example, if the avg sell price for this boat is $5000 and comes with a 1986 O/B and no bimini, then an example, all other things being equal, that has a brand new 4 stroke and bimini is worth more, based on the depreciated value of those items. (e.g. if old motor is worth $1000 and new is worth $3000, less 1 year depreciation $300, the net value increase is $1800.)

But when all the calculating is done, the selling price is based on what the seller will accept and buyer will pay.

I currently have a 26' sailboat for sale, wityh listing price higher than average. Everything (sails, motor, bottom, hull, decks, canvas) are above "average"; electronics are average, nothing is less than average.

For someone looking for a bargain boat they intend to sail as is, regardless of it's short-comings, they would not be interested in my boat at all, and would instead ply the lower end of the scale.

For someone looking for a good boat in average condition, they may be interested in my boat, but not willing to pay for all it has to offer.

For someone looking for a fine example of this model, with all the work complete so they can spend their leisure time sailing and relaxing on the boat instead of working on it, my boat would be of great interest.

All kinds of buyers, and all kinds of sellers. Keep looking until you find a boat that best suits your budget and desires.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:20   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:

OK, on re-reading your post I am confused.

In the first paragraph you declare you are considering purchasing this boat.

In the second paragraph you declare you store the cushions in winter.

Are you buying this boat or do you already own it?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:26   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Most of that list I would consider just "regular maintenance" on a boat of that age. a Tanzer 26 is getting to somewhere between 30-40 years old. back then lots of gate valves were used wiring is going to be pretty basic compared to a new boat. nothing though that ould be a deal breaker. nice thing is Tanzers can be had pretty cheaply now. my marina has one for auction right now, and the bids are only at $260 ( that's not a typo)

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa...51&acctid=6432
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:34   #13

Boat: Seaward 25

I guess I would question the value of a marine survey on this boat. Just a quick look on Sailing Texas shows many examples of boats like this in good shape with outboard and trailer for $5 to $6K so the boat you are looking at should be priced in the $2 to $3K range. A survey is going to add at least $500 or 20 to 25% of the price. This boat is fairly simple so I would feel comfortable just doing a "self survey". Having said that, I am not sure this boat would be a bargain even if it were free.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
OK, on re-reading your post I am confused.

In the first paragraph you declare you are considering purchasing this boat.

In the second paragraph you declare you store the cushions in winter.

Are you buying this boat or do you already own it?
The second part is what the seller is saying about the boat.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 16:41   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Your issues are minor. It's stuff like soft spots in the deck, joint delamination, chain plates and rigging that can run big money. Get a good surveyor and stay on his hip. Remember surprises on an old boat are always bad.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs