Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 20:25   #1

Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

I am thinking about buying an Island Packet 27 or 31 to sail on Lake Michigan, days and weekends, mostly. Reading reviews and forums, I find massive disagreement about how bad they are in light winds and close to the wind. Some say they do fine, even in light winds; others say they are bathtubs with sails that can hardly tack. I know people have different kinds of preferences and biases for different boats, but at some point the empirical evidence has to point to a conclusion. Any good input on whether buying an IP would be a regrettable move? (My values here: I am more interested in stability and comfort than speed, but I also don't want to be becalmed half the summer and motoring everywhere. I also much prefer the traditional look of IPs over what seem to be plastic boats to me, but also want a boat that can get me places.) Many thanks for the input.
csmith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:41   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

IP's are more for show then go. But if your just sailing a lake your not going that far in a straight line anyway. They are perdy inside and comfy but it all depends on what you want out of a boat.
Which model are you looking at? They have different keels to select.
Old 04-01-2013, 20:41   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I thought our boat would be slow. It is if there's no wind. The J-80's next to me cook right along in 5 kts when our boat is barely moving. We averaged 6.8 kts from Cabo to Vallarta and we were really comfy. You know, icemaker, big TV, nice galley, that kind of stuff. We even all sat down at the table and had dinner together while the autopilot did all the work for a few minutes. A fully loaded cruiser will never out sail a light racing boat. It's not a comparison that is fair to make at all. Compare the IP to other cruising boats of a similar length, not to some drunk guy's opinion compared to his buddy's racer.
I'd love to see somebody live at anchor in the same J-80 for a week.
Old 04-01-2013, 21:03   #4

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
We have an IP 37 and find it a great stable boat, however it needs at least 7 knots of wind to start sailing nicely. We have owned lighter boats that needed less wind but were a lot harder to handle when the wind picked up. From my perspective it is a great boat. Note that there is a 35' IP that has won several Bermuda races. An IP 380 just returned to the Keys from a 7 year circumnavigation, no complaints from the owners.
Go for it, you will love the boat.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25   #5

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
We have an IP 37 and find it a great stable boat, however it needs at least 7 knots of wind to start sailing nicely. We have owned lighter boats that needed less wind but were a lot harder to handle when the wind picked up. From my perspective it is a great boat. Note that there is a 35' IP that has won several Bermuda races. An IP 380 just returned to the Keys from a 7 year circumnavigation, no complaints from the owners.
It is one thing to win on elapsed time, another to win due to a handicap such as PHRF. Island Packet is always bragging about how many races they win.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:44   #6

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
The OP says "days, weekends" and on a "lake".
This is definately a time where I would go for a snappier boat.
I would have to say pass on the IP.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I thought our boat would be slow. It is if there's no wind. The J-80's next to me cook right along in 5 kts when our boat is barely moving. We averaged 6.8 kts from Cabo to Vallarta and we were really comfy. You know, icemaker, big TV, nice galley, that kind of stuff. We even all sat down at the table and had dinner together while the autopilot did all the work for a few minutes. A fully loaded cruiser will never out sail a light racing boat. It's not a comparison that is fair to make at all. Compare the IP to other cruising boats of a similar length, not to some drunk guy's opinion compared to his buddy's racer.
I'd love to see somebody live at anchor in the same J-80 for a week.
And who was on watch when you were all downstairs having diner? The rules specify that at all time someone should be on watch at the helm....
:-)))))
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Csmith:

Why not try chartering one for a week before you buy? I've seen these folks who seem to specialize in IP's. Island Yachts U.S. Virgin Islands - Charter Vacations
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith22 View Post
(My values here: I am more interested in stability and comfort than speed, but I also don't want to be becalmed half the summer and motoring everywhere. I also much prefer the traditional look of IPs over what seem to be plastic boats to me, but also want a boat that can get me places.) Many thanks for the input.
Sounds like the IP or any other older full keeler is just right for you then.

Yes the boat will need more wind, so what! It is pretty rare for the wind ti be in the small range between a full keeler not being to sail and a fin keeler to be able. That's the time to charge you batteris and motor.

Wouldn't pouint as high, so what! You are going to have sail a little further, IF that was the direction you wanted ti go to start with.

Beside if like the traditional boats over what yu call the plstic boats you always have something to do if the wind doesn't let you sail ..............wood work!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14   #10

I don't imagine the IP is much slower than say the WestSail 32. They are not the most weatherly of boats but for room, stowage, tankage and quality of build they are hard to beat. There are many 31's to choose from. People who sail the Island Packet are cruisers and you will find many boats outfitted quite well. The Island Packet is a cutter rig, the preferred modern offshore configuration. Island Packets come from the factory under canvased for light wind. Original sails are Main, staysail and high clewed yankee jib.The addition of a genoa and cruising spinnaker would greatly improve light air performance. The reason IP's get a bad rap is because they are generally sailed by non racers. Light air around the buoys is not it's forte'. Where they do do well is long passages, overnights and weekends. And not to worry too much about going aground. Full keel, robust build will help there. It's not the prefect boat, but it's safe, comfortable and will take you anywhere you want to go.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Original Poster is asking about the boat on the Great Lakes, and that's a specific weather area.

I have sailed from Muskegan, Michigan to Nova Scotia and there's not much wind generally in the sailing months. Yes there are blows as the one that hit the Mackinaw race a few years ago. The majority of the boat in the Lakes are smaller and lighter than one would see in the Trade Winds areas.

I don't have a Pilot Chart for the Great Lakes but you can download one for free on the Internet. An Island Packet probably will be at its best in 15 to 20 knots, that's BVIs sort of trade winds. further south in the Caribbean the trades are 20 knots.
I would have thought a Pilot chart for the lakes would show Force 3 which is 7 to 10 knots. You would get some Force 4 11 to 16 too, but only above that if there's a blow.

You could walk down the marina and check out what everyone else has and check out their hailing port to make sure they are local. I don't think you'd find too many IPs.

In the Great Lakes an Island Packet is a bit like a HumVee in the city.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55   #12

Sailing on the Great Lakes requires a light boat, there are just too many summer days where the wind just isn't there. If you do go with an IP get more sail area - you'll need it. One thing the IP does have going for it, is it's relatively shallow draft, the lakes have been quite low the last few years.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24   #13

From my experience. You will find most IP's well maintained. There are exceptions but as a general rule, well maintained. I'll make the assumption Great Lakes sailing in similar to the Chesapeake Bay by the descriptions here. I would venture to say the Lakes would offer more heavy weather experience. I "sail" a lot. Not so my cruising buddies. I can tell you, more often than not, on light air days, particularly under time constraints which is always, the shortest route to an anchorage and then home is a straight line. Unless you are bound by purity, anticipate being competitive in your light air round the buoys club races there is no shame in motor sailing to your next port. When you arrive, the IP has the capacity for you to be the best provisioned in terms of water and fuel, stable at anchor in a thunder storm and most important, having the amenities which makes a wife or girlfriend want to be part of the program ( if that is important )..... You will have plenty of days for sailing. Light air sailing, well let's just say when the other boats at the marina are thinking twice about that fresh nor'wester, they're doing so while watching your transom as you slide out of the marina.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30   #14

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

A friend, new to sailing, got out of his older 27 footer to get into something larger and more weatherly with the comment, "You're always going to weather in the Apostles". I second that for big Lake sailing in general. It seems your destination is always to weather or you have to go to weather to round the next point.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
A friend, new to sailing, got out of his older 27 footer to get into something larger and more weatherly with the comment, "You're always going to weather in the Apostles". I second that for big Lake sailing in general. It seems your destination is always to weather or you have to go to weather to round the next point.
Your point? Was that a Catalina 27?