Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 13:01   #91

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
BTW, to the guy who thinks the IP-40 owner's stateroom is not in the bow, it is and if you ever left the marina and were levitated from your bunk on every wave, you would know the difference.
Respectfully Don, you are incorrect on this one:

IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998

Perhaps, you meant "towards" the bow.

We have an IP32 and love it. It sailed to windward very well in light air (5-10) and handled very well. It will never beat a fin keel around a buoy (well, maybe so with experienced racers on board), but they are pretty snappy on the the straightaway.

To each his own, as others have said in this thread. We wanted something that was stable and fun to sail, not necessarily speedy. I have been knocked down in a lighter boat (on a lake, of all places) and did not want that to happen again.

One thing I have noticed time and time again around here. Those who actually own a particular brand of boat really like it and know how it sails. Those who do not own that brand, always bad-mouth that boat. Hmmm...strange occurrance.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:06   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why not look at the layout and then speak.....
IP370: Island Packet Yachts
http://www.ipy.com/showboat.asp?sBoa...teriorLayout=1
http://www.ipy.com/showboat.asp?sBoa...teriorLayout=1

they all seem to have berths in pointy end of boat.

as for the dissing the boat speed--folks do that with formosas also--and even in 6 kts of wind, i am able to gain 3 kts boat speed.....and more.
depends on what the sailor does, not how the boat looks. nor the rig . nor the color.

ip color is perfect in ocean--doesnt blind the observer, as do many others.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 14:57   #93

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
why not look at the layout and then speak.....
IP370: Island Packet Yachts
SPCRUISER: Island Packet Yachts
IP465: Island Packet Yachts

they all seem to have berths in pointy end of boat.

as for the dissing the boat speed--folks do that with formosas also--and even in 6 kts of wind, i am able to gain 3 kts boat speed.....and more.
depends on what the sailor does, not how the boat looks. nor the rig . nor the color.

ip color is perfect in ocean--doesnt blind the observer, as do many others.
There are quite a few boats with berths in the bow, some even have a head up there. In fact, I am having a hard time thinking of a boat that does NOT have a vee-berth. As long as there are berths on the boat more sea-worthy.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:22   #94

The IP40 and 38 both have the head forward and Pullman Berth on the starboard side. I like this layout ...I can never get comfortable in a V Birth.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:46   #95

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
The IP40 and 38 both have the head forward and Pullman Berth on the starboard side. I like this layout ...I can never get comfortable in a V Birth.
The IP 45 had the same layout as does the new 460 IIRC.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:34   #96

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Me too, LostAtSea. I love the IP40 and would certainly have one, if I could. I'm dealing with that dreaded V Berth in our 32 right now. What a pain!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:00   #97

Nice....The 32 is a great boat too. I'm working my way towards the IP38, just not in the budget right now.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 15:27   #98

Boat: Island Packet 40
Quote:
Yes, and the Pullman is much more comfortable than a vee. And no more bouncing than in the qtr berth.

And in reference to the anchoring (in other posts) ....we don't have problems anchoring ours.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59   #99
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have to laugh at making it the boats fault anchoring is poor....is hilarious.

the one handling the anchoring who is the problem, not the boat. ( if is a danforth, could well be the bottom in which one anchors...)--but NOT the boat...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 13:42   #100

The people we have met that have the IP swear by them, but they are always much slower from point to point than other cruising boats of a similar size. It could be the guy on the helm, but I believe that they are just slow. As for bang for the buck, they seem very pricy for what you get.

Speed is very important when making long legs, as a fast boat can get to port within a weather window that is not long enough for the slow boats. You get in,,,they get beat up. Have seen it happen too many times to think that it is a fluke. Even with the average 40nm hop in the eastern Caribbean, 8kst means 5 hours while 5 kts means 8 hours point to point. That extra 3 hours for the slower boat means less light for leaving an anchorage and arriving in the new one. A major safety issue.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:33   #101

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
And who was on watch when you were all downstairs having diner? The rules specify that at all time someone should be on watch at the helm....
:-)))))
We hadn't seen ANYTHING for over 12 hours so we let Nala the dog take the helm for 10 minutes.
Old 12-01-2013, 15:04   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
We hadn't seen ANYTHING for over 12 hours so we let Nala the dog take the helm for 10 minutes.
Ah... Ok....
Didn't know there was a dog... I'm reassured

By the way on our board the cat is doing the cooking.... We don't trust her for the watch
Old 12-01-2013, 15:48   #103

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
The people we have met that have the IP swear by them, but they are always much slower from point to point than other cruising boats of a similar size. It could be the guy on the helm, but I believe that they are just slow. As for bang for the buck, they seem very pricy for what you get.

Speed is very important when making long legs, as a fast boat can get to port within a weather window that is not long enough for the slow boats. You get in,,,they get beat up. Have seen it happen too many times to think that it is a fluke. Even with the average 40nm hop in the eastern Caribbean, 8kst means 5 hours while 5 kts means 8 hours point to point. That extra 3 hours for the slower boat means less light for leaving an anchorage and arriving in the new one. A major safety issue.

!Speed is important for the dudes looking at speed, as example the other day sailing a bene 50 in 25 30 knts the speed never reach 10 knts, we almost hit 9 few times , lets say 7 to 8 for most of the time and lots of Bangs inside, in the eastern caribbean the weather is ok, if you are worried to arrive in dark hell just wake up 3 hours early , talking about crossings oceans who care 21 days or 27 ?? many people prefer easy sea motion and bulletproof construction than this 1,5 knt extra speed, 6 to 7 knts average seems ok for me but i can live with 5 to 6 , there is many places in the ocean where you can get caught in Gales or storms no matter if you have a fast boat or a slow one ,Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 17:49   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Respectfully Don, you are incorrect on this one:

IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998

Perhaps, you meant "towards" the bow.

We have an IP32 and love it. It sailed to windward very well in light air (5-10) and handled very well. It will never beat a fin keel around a buoy (well, maybe so with experienced racers on board), but they are pretty snappy on the the straightaway.

To each his own, as others have said in this thread. We wanted something that was stable and fun to sail, not necessarily speedy. I have been knocked down in a lighter boat (on a lake, of all places) and did not want that to happen again.

One thing I have noticed time and time again around here. Those who actually own a particular brand of boat really like it and know how it sails. Those who do not own that brand, always bad-mouth that boat. Hmmm...strange occurrance.
Dont get caught flying an Aronca around a bunch of Piper guys,or a Cessna around a bunch of Glassair guys,or a Gyro-copter around a bunch of Heli pilots or a ,well you get the idea,to each his own,unless its a Hunter,well never mind to each his own..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 18:25   #105

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita

IPs can't be to slow , An IP42 won the Gulf Streamer non spiniler class in 2010. Boy did that piss off the racer bunch . I guess it must be the Sailors.