Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 23:09   #46

Boat: CS 27
Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
When one makes comparisons, especially puffery as in 5.5kts in 5kts of wind at 32degress, tell us what boat you were sailing how it was configured. Please then describe the IP and it's configuration. Such comparisons are baseless unless both skippers are knowingly engaged in some competition. Have you any idea of the water and fuel capacity of an IP 40? How about the drag coefficient of the inflatable dinghy he was carrying on his stern and you were not. Not to mention a hundred other variables like morning tea and biscuits. Talk about a BS meter.Yours must be broken. Criticism should be taken in good spirit and fellowship.
When you are 12, anything is possible.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 00:54   #47

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
We left at about 0930, we were at Fort Myers in the early evening- seems like about 1800. Now I look at the distance, and it seems to be about 80 miles.
We're now down from 11 knots to an 8 knot average (distance seems to be less than 70 miles)--still seems too fast--maybe you got in at 1900.

First post you brag about how nobody got seasick. Now you say the wind was quartering offshore (flat water), but admit everyone on board was scared spitless. Maybe you also forgot to mention you had the engine firewalled the whole way and there was a knot or two of current with you.

There's a lot of BS stories about boat speed (especially from the multihull owners), but the only real way to gauge the speed potential of boats is to race them against each other, time them, and have the experts review the results of hundreds of races. The NE PHRF committee rates the IP 40 at 156 sec per mile. They rate my old Bene 456 at 60 sec per mile. That means the experts have looked at the available data and they (not me) predict that when the IP is going 6.25 knots, the Bene is going 7.5, and the IP-27 (rating 234) is going 5.5.

However, in lighter winds, I (and most people who don't own them) say the IP's are going to be slower than their rating predicts. In stronger winds, the light boats (like the Moore 24 which rates 159) will blow the doors off the IP-40 downwind.

I'm not saying the IP's aren't good boats for some people. I came across the Indian ocean and up the Red Sea with one and its owners were happy with it. But I sailed up the Red Sea against the wind, and they motored. To each his own. BTW, to the guy who thinks the IP-40 owner's stateroom is not in the bow, it is and if you ever left the marina and were levitated from your bunk on every wave, you would know the difference.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:15   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

They are well built boats, for a production boat. But I hate color matching them, and doing it many times has caused me to hate that color. They call it "sand" or "ivory", but it just looks like a hideous yellow-pink to me. Don't know why they persist in their "signature color", it's fugly. And hard to match.

Business Magazine | BABM | Coverstory |Bob Johonson: A Humble Industry Leader … Island Packet Yachts
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57   #49

Boat: PT-11
Oh, a former benny owner. It's all coming clear now.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
PHRF dosen't take into account beer stowage and cup holders. It's a totally arbitrary assessment of boat performance. That's just beer can races. It totally disregards afternoon cocktails and canapés offshore.

This is the most turth as to what is important that I have read in a while. Very Zen
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03   #51

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

People who don't own or sail Island Packets love to bash them. I've owned one for years and have sailed it thousands of miles. It's a great boat, especially in 15+kts of wind. No, it won't point like a fin keeler, but it's not a racer. No, it will not sail well in light winds. It's a cruiser. Most cruisers don't point well or sail in light winds. If you want a boat that points high and goes in light winds, get a Beneteau. If you want a solid boat that sails great and comfortably in 15kts+ of wind, then you're on the right track. Here are a couple of videos I took in the Bahamas that will give you an idea about speed. Look at the GPS and the wind speed indicator right above it.

People are always going to hate on other people with nice stuff. IP makes a nice boat. People hate on them. Who cares what they think? What matters is what you think. If you like IP's, get one. I love mine.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36   #52

And others just can't help but bitch about everything under the sun.
Any boat that currently suits your needs, is comfortable, and you can
afford, is the right boat for you and your family.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
There's a lot of BS stories about boat speed .
Why do you insist on comparing apples and oranges? The Bene 456 has 14% longer waterline than than the IP 40. The IP carries 40% more water and 40% more fuel than your Bene. The fin keel on the Bene is known for keelboat issues and a cruising limiting 8ft draft. Spade rudder would be another issue. Safety trumps speed. Your comparison to the Moore 26 is laughable. Seriously, in a blow, would you rather a cutter rig under staysail and reefed main or your masthead sloop? Please, simple references would give you a lot more credibility.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:16   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith22 View Post
(...) how bad they are in light winds and close to the wind. Some say they do fine, even in light winds; others say they are bathtubs with sails that can hardly tack. (...)
With any boat, how well she sails is up to the driver's skills. My guess is that the good opinions may come from sailors who know how to sail their boats and the negative ones from those who lack such skills.

For upwind work and for light wind performance, you sure will find finer boats. But do not cross IP off your list because of what some may say.

Find one you like and go for a test sail perhaps?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:16   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Don,
Sorry you feel that way. But I am in no mood to start a fight. (I realized how silly it was to argue with one who hasn't been in the same situation.) Race you across the pond to Ireland someday. You can bring your Grand Banks.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20   #56

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
The OP says "days, weekends" and on a "lake".
This is definately a time where I would go for a snappier boat.
I would have to say pass on the IP.
Lake Michigan is pretty big as lakes go.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfish View Post
And others just can't help but bitch about everything under the sun.
Any boat that currently suits your needs, is comfortable, and you can
afford, is the right boat for you and your family.

I will second this.

Get a boat you like ................. period!

In the end you will enjoy it more that those that give you advise.
Old 06-01-2013, 13:11   #58

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
People who don't own or sail Island Packets love to bash them. I've owned one for years and have sailed it thousands of miles. It's a great boat, especially in 15+kts of wind. No, it won't point like a fin keeler, but it's not a racer. No, it will not sail well in light winds. It's a cruiser. Most cruisers don't point well or sail in light winds. If you want a boat that points high and goes in light winds, get a Beneteau. If you want a solid boat that sails great and comfortably in 15kts+ of wind, then you're on the right track. Here are a couple of videos I took in the Bahamas that will give you an idea about speed. Look at the GPS and the wind speed indicator right above it.

People are always going to hate on other people with nice stuff. IP makes a nice boat. People hate on them. Who cares what they think? What matters is what you think. If you like IP's, get one. I love mine.

What a nice ride, thanks for sharing the videos..
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02   #59

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in on my question. Is very helpful.
csmith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08   #60

Boat: Island Packet 40
Let us know how your decision goes.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote