Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 04:31   #136

Re: Are Island Packets Really That Slow?

Congrats, But try to get a IP 29 or 31 if at allpossible!,,, Geo,Former IP44 owner
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:37   #137

REPORTING BACK II: One other factor I forgot to mention: I decided to exclude all boats with deep drafts, since Lake Michigan has a low-water problem. For various reasons, the water level is way down and some harbors are literally having problems with depth and I do not want to rely on political decisions about dredging to be able to get my boat to slip. There was one boat I really liked, a Hunter, I think, but it had a nearly 6' draft. The IP27 has a 3'6" draft, long keel, which should work well in potentially shallow waters. That too was part of my decision. (georgetheleo: I would love an IP31, but just now that is out of my price range; if after some years I find it is all working, I can upsise to a larger boat).
csmith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:35   #138

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith22 View Post
REPORTING BACK II: One other factor I forgot to mention: I decided to exclude all boats with deep drafts, since Lake Michigan has a low-water problem. For various reasons, the water level is way down and some harbors are literally having problems with depth and I do not want to rely on political decisions about dredging to be able to get my boat to slip. There was one boat I really liked, a Hunter, I think, but it had a nearly 6' draft. The IP27 has a 3'6" draft, long keel, which should work well in potentially shallow waters. That too was part of my decision. (georgetheleo: I would love an IP31, but just now that is out of my price range; if after some years I find it is all working, I can upsise to a larger boat).
Yes and no! If you run a ground on a soft shoal you'll wish you had a fin keel. Full keels are harder to get off and W/O a tide to raise you back up it may become a problem. Just saying............
Old 22-01-2013, 08:45   #139

Boat: PT-11

This is more conjecture from someone without IP experience. We ran our IP aground more times than we can count in the backwaters of NJ and LIS. I can't tell you how glad we were that it was a solid long keel and not a wing keel that would grab like an anchor or a fin keel where we'd worry about it damaging the hull. You're assumption is correct - if you're gonna go aground, this is a good boat to do it in.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:36   #140
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yes and no! If you run a ground on a soft shoal you'll wish you had a fin keel. Full keels are harder to get off and W/O a tide to raise you back up it may become a problem. Just saying............

havent found this to be accurate. i learned in bheavy displacement gaff rigged...and i sail both fin/spade and deep full/enclosed rudder heavy displacement--- there is no problem sailing of fa soft grounding, and hard groundings ar e more easily kedged with full/protected than fin/spade. btdt both. no problem.

congrats on your purchase and smooth sailing!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:33   #141

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

That is so cool, csmith22! I have a feeling that you will LOVE your IP27. There are a couple of places where you can go to talk with other Packeteers:

IP Home Port
Island Packet Yacht Owners Association

When your purchase has been finalized, you can actually register your boat at Home Port and see the list of other IP27 owners.

Have fun!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 09:42   #142

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

The IP27 has a nice sloping forefoot, so if you run aground have crew run to very tip of the bow while you backdown ( motoring backwards the exact path you took to get aground ). Having two or three crew hugging on the bowsprit is a bit comical to watch but it works like a charm, if it doesnt you are good and stuck
Under sail is another story and totally depends on the situation, but still use crew weight to heel more and drop bow raise stern and rudder, along with mainsail if possible. Don't ask me how I know this
Have fun on the IP, she is a fine vessel!

It is crazy how much the water tables are down, we are landlocked in Austin right now and the big lake here, lake Travis is 50 FEET below full pool......crazy.

Cheers
Old 27-01-2013, 04:05   #143

Boat: Island Packet 40
Congrats on your purchase and being an IP owner. I second the recommendation by angelfish. Those web sites are excellent resources.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:01   #144

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat

Congrats on your new boat.
My last boat was a Windsurfer so I could blow away anything but another Windsurfer. My Nonsuch is heavy displacement and very beamy like the IP.
Many sails on Lake Ontario have been single or double reefed with no one else out there so sailing the Great Lakes can be unpredictable.
After reading the whole thread here, it sounds like Nonsuch and IP's have many of the same qualities...roomy comfortable cabins, built like tanks, good resale value...I love my boat.
As the thread has brought up, learning how to sail a particular boat the way it sails the best is lots of trial and error that the Nonsuch is famous for. Don't heal past 15 degrees as she slows down after that and is more comfortable for the crew. Comfort should be a major consideration as being scared and wet is not my cup of tea. I am wondering if that would apply to the IP as it too is a beamy boat.
We also have our International Nonsuch Association that is a very helpful resource.
I do like looking at the Open ocean racing machines but who could afford one or sail it unless they were highly trained athletes. For me, it's about the voyage and speed is nice but not necessary any more. Windsurfing is great for the racing types that I no longer can include my as the athletic type.
Enjoy...
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:24   #145

Quote:
Enjoy your IP27, you have a fine boat. Your long keel and shoal draft will serve you well. You will sail and gunk hole when and where others fear to go.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 15:03   #146

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Don't worry about the speed and pointing ability of you IP27, my IP26MKI is likely slower and less weatherly than your 27. Especially after the centerboard fell out!
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 19:02   #147

Quote:
Hello there! This thread is almost a decade old, but I figured it might be worth an update from csmith... after some time I would be curious to know how your purchase panned out? I too am looking at buying an IP and have much of the same considerations as you, and would love to hear what your experience was like
john8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:45   #148

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

First Mate and I had a serious Senior Moment 12 years ago and purchased an Island Packet 350. Six years later we sold her - for more than we paid, not a usual circumstance - and bought another.

All boats are a compromise. If we were far younger we might choose a faster sail boat.

But we are retired, mid 70's now and comfort on the hook or alongside are prime requirements. Far more so than sailing speed.

In another Island Packet thread about the new models a poster said they were dangerous as the might not have the ability to sail off a lee shore.

I considered that to be a fatuous remark as both our Island Packets have had powerful engines to cope with such situations.

We are travellers by water as opposed to purist sailors.

If the wind wont serve we use the Iron Jib.................................
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:27   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
First Mate and I had a serious Senior Moment 12 years ago and purchased an Island Packet 350. Six years later we sold her - for more than we paid, not a usual circumstance - and bought another.

All boats are a compromise. If we were far younger we might choose a faster sail boat.

But we are retired, mid 70's now and comfort on the hook or alongside are prime requirements. Far more so than sailing speed.

In another Island Packet thread about the new models a poster said they were dangerous as the might not have the ability to sail off a lee shore.

I considered that to be a fatuous remark as both our Island Packets have had powerful engines to cope with such situations.

We are travellers by water as opposed to purist sailors.

If the wind wont serve we use the Iron Jib.................................

Good on ya.

I suspect some of the naysayers here haven't even been on one, let alone sailed or lived on one.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:00   #150

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Not all Island Packets sail the same. Bob Johnson has played (bad term) with his basic design over the years. In the larger yachts he has more options for beam and headroom compared to trying to stuff comfortable living into 31 feet.

My favorite is the IP35. Beautiful lines (for a cruiser) and reasonable sail performance. My 32 keel/ centerboard is the best of all, but a somewhat rare breed. Not as pretty as the 35 but sails better.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote