Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2009, 14:31   #181

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Now group hug and lets all sing koombya
Cheers,
Erika

ps monos rule
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 19:19   #182

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
awwwww, u so sweet ,OG i can nearly forgive ya for th fine print
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 04:10   #183

Boat: Skookum 53'
It is the going, not the getting there, and if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be messing around on a sailboat in the first place, that is what jets are for; why on earth would anyone care if it takes one day or two to reach your destination? If you don't like being out on the ocean then don't go. The fact that I am even posting on this thread tells me that I have too much time on my hands.
Old 26-11-2009, 12:10   #184
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It is the going, not the getting there, and if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be messing around on a sailboat in the first place, that is what jets are for; why on earth would anyone care if it takes one day or two to reach your destination? If you don't like being out on the ocean then don't go. The fact that I am even posting on this thread tells me that I have too much time on my hands.
WEATHER!

That was one of my reasons for looking for a faster boat. I got tired of being in slop while others were already in a safe, and comfy anchorage. Anyone who has done some cruising should understand that........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 13:29   #185

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
It is the going, not the getting there, and if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be messing around on a sailboat in the first place, that is what jets are for; why on earth would anyone care if it takes one day or two to reach your destination? If you don't like being out on the ocean then don't go.
We initially got into cats because to get to a nice spot for a swim around here in a mono, by the time you get there with a hundred other boats it was time to turn around and come home again. The cat allowed us to get there so much faster, pick the best spot, have the place to ourselves and enjoy the surrounds before anyone arrived.

It also allowed us to get to other Islands for a weekend that could not really be visited by mono in the same timeframe

Of course if we wanted to sail slow we could have heavily reefed or towed a drogue to get back down to that 4 knot speed
Old 26-11-2009, 13:37   #186

"Anyone who has done some cruising should understand that........i2f"

I have done a lot of cruising, I have been commercial fishing since 1969, and I have been sailing since 1976, I have been a licensed master since 1978, I have done about every thing one can do on vessels of all shapes sizes and forms. So don't start kicking rocks. What I do know is; in the words of one of my favorite magazines "the difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude." I will say again, if you don't like the ocean, then don't go out. I would rather spend 3 weeks getting my butt kicked in an all out storm; than spend 12 hours cooped up in an aluminum cigar tube breathing recycled air and other's diseases.
Old 26-11-2009, 15:09   #187

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Happy Thanksgiving everybody

PS: God loves cat and mono sailors alike.......but then again he loves Obama too so his opinion is questionable...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 15:36   #188

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
" I will say again, if you don't like the ocean, then don't go out. I would rather spend 3 weeks getting my butt kicked in an all out storm; than spend 12 hours cooped up in an aluminum cigar tube breathing recycled air and other's diseases.
Flawed argument

I Dont like sanding boats but they are part of the process of building them

Your argument would seem to be "if you dont like sanding, then dont build a boat " and even seem to go to the extreme of suggesting I find a slower more torturous method of doing it.

I on the other hand would prefer to find a more efficient and faster method of finishing that "shitty" job.

Same with boats, If I can find a way that minimises that "shitty" part of sailing (getting hammered in bad weather) and still do it in relative comfort or avoid it all together, wouldn't that be a more seaman like thing to do?

What sort of masochist would choose to prolong it and subject their family to a more prolonged "shitty" experience?
Old 26-11-2009, 17:05   #189
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
"Anyone who has done some cruising should understand that........i2f"

I have done a lot of cruising, I have been commercial fishing since 1969, and I have been sailing since 1976, I have been a licensed master since 1978, I have done about every thing one can do on vessels of all shapes sizes and forms. So don't start kicking rocks. What I do know is; in the words of one of my favorite magazines "the difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude." I will say again, if you don't like the ocean, then don't go out. I would rather spend 3 weeks getting my butt kicked in an all out storm; than spend 12 hours cooped up in an aluminum cigar tube breathing recycled air and other's diseases.

I had a good idea of that, that's why I typed it. I was making a point not kicking rocks. I enjoy a great sail too, and I lovew the ocean! What I don't enjoy is snotty weather. Why be out in snotty weather when you can be an anchorage, and enjoy what if offers. If all you want to do is sail then circumnavigate nonstop. Maybe do the Southern Ocean twice? Just like monos, and cats. There are times when even planes have their place in a sailor's life......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 21:36   #190
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
"the difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude."
Oh yes and not only on the water.

I like rough weather and don't really mind a good bash and crash. Maybe I am as weird as many say but give me 40kts over 10 just about any day. I despise with an extreme passion soft floppy conditions in any boat at any time.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 21:55   #191

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
What I don't enjoy is snotty weather. Why be out in snotty weather when you can be an anchorage, and enjoy what if offers. If all you want to do is sail then circumnavigate nonstop. Maybe do the Southern Ocean twice? Just like monos, and cats. There are times when even planes have their place in a sailor's life......i2f
I guess that is one of the major difference between a cat person and a mono person, avoiding weather or discomfort is not the primary goal. Don't get me wrong, as a sailor it is good seamanship to avoid storms, but not at the expense of the journey...hmm this is not coming out right. .....koombya my lord koombya

Maybe the reason people choose the boats they choose are more complex than the stereotype "mono or multi" can encompass. BTW for me Monos feel closer to the water, while cats feel closer to the sky...both cool, both awesome!

Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 22:47   #192

I don't have an agenda for either type of vessel. The boat I like best is the one I am on at the moment, as long as there is more water outside the vessel than in. I do have a personal preference, hence the vessel that I and the bank own. However, being out on the water is the primary goal, absorbing all that being in the wind and water has to offer is the end, regardless the means. There is something that happens when you shut down the engine, all you hear is the water on the hull and the rigging responding to the elements; knowing and accepting one's insignificance in the big picture. The carefree laugh of the exhilarated spirits, all that goes with that experience. All the unnecessary stress falls away, the things that really matter come into the fore front. Dolphins play off the bow, beckoning us to come, join in the fun and let the rest of the world take care of itself. Step off the dock, let go of the fear, follow your heart and sense of adventure. There is something magnificent about a storm, that tests your preparations, skills, knowledge and courage. While one doesn't needlessly go in search of that challenge, a good sailor knows that the possibility exisists, and accepts that uncertainty as part & parcel of going down to the sea. I was born to the sea, I will die there with no regrets when that time comes. I just hope it won't be from something foolish; if it is then so be it.
Old 27-11-2009, 15:55   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If the argument is that going faster is the primary point of owning a cat and that going faster is safer then everyone should own a twin diesel, go fast powerboat and be at the anchorage before the sailing cats - Hmmmmm....

My contnuing point is that "Yes. Cats are great!"

However when we start talking about actually buying one we cannot continue to comapare a 40 foot cat to a 40 foot mono. They are not in the same financial class and because money is the common equalizer the discussion should start with, "What's the best boat to achieve X + Y goals with Z dolalrs."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 17:00   #194

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Maybe the reason people choose the boats they choose are more complex than the stereotype "mono or multi" can encompass. BTW for me Monos feel closer to the water, while cats feel closer to the sky...both cool, both awesome!

I finally figured out why I have a Tri ! Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 18:59   #195

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Monohulls rock!

a lot.

Mike "don't hate me cuz I live on a mono" Reed
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote