Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2014, 13:30   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Aquarius 24 Pilot Cutter

Great looking boat, love the classic cutter look. Enjoy!

Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 20:09   #17

Kris,

Thank you for the tips. I do have One Large thru hole to the port side and from what I can see its 1 1/2 in and used for the sink drain. Recent owners installed A/C (Probably when Kyrie was in Texas) and I noticed a smaller thru hole to the Starboard side. Which is used for the A/C.

Your Vessel is very nice and I'm sure you're having the best of times out on the water. My plans for Kyrie are to paint the hull, Replace all the lighting with LED's and Install Radar.

She'll be ready within five years for the Big Blue Pacific and off to Hawaii.

Cheers mate,

John

Old 14-03-2014, 20:25   #18

Hello to all, here are more pictures of Kyrie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0249.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	77596   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0166.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	77597  

Name:	SAM_0095.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	77598  
Old 15-03-2014, 11:47   #19

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter 24

I have hull number 12 on the Chesapeake. She's been owned in Mississippi and Alabama before coming north. Builder was listed as Aquarius (not Top Sail). She was Coast Guard documented by a PO under the name Different Drummer. She is currently a work in progress.

It came with original Volvo MD7A that seized up. I picked up a MD7B for cheap from someone repowering with a Beta. I have the engine installed and running but the shaft and related hardware is out. The bronze tube exits the keel at an angle. Putty was used to fair in the empty space between the bronze tube flange and the fiberglass skin. Once the bronze tube was out I could see that the fairing was cracked all through. I've ground out the old putty and waiting for warm enough weather to redo with epoxy/filler mix.

I hope to get her back in the water and use as a power cruiser for now. Reason being that I have the rigging removed. I'm in the middle of removing deck hardware. After she gets floated again, I'll be putting the hardware back using epoxy filler and Butyl (between cruises). Once this is done, hopefully the deck leaks will be fixed and I can start cleaning up the interior.

I also have the bowsprit removed. It was two beams laminated together. The glue was deteriorated and some rot along the seam had set in. I split the two beams apart and cleaned them up. They seem to be in good enough shape to epoxy back together and refinish. I have them cleaned up and waiting to epoxy. The boomkin was rotted and will have to be replaced.

One thing I would like to see is a diagram or pictures of how the control lines were routed on the deck. Mine has mid-boom sheeting for the main.
Old 17-03-2014, 09:47   #20

As per request, here are some photos showing the rigging. If you need more detail, just let me know and I'll take more photos.

Thank you,

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0254.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	77716   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0252.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	77717  

Name:	SAM_0250.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	77718   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0170.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	77719  

Name:	SAM_0140.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	77720   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0133.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	77721  

Old 17-03-2014, 10:48   #21

Thanks for the pics. That is one pretty boat. Helps inspire me to keep working on mine. Your rigging appears to be updated compared to mine. Mine came with original (?) wood blocks with mid-boom sheeting. I only have one winch on the cabin top on the starboard side that I guess is used for the mainsail sheet. There are three paths from mast going aft to cockpit on both port and starboard. But the rope locks are aft of the single winch. So I guess sail raising was meant to be done by hand (?) and locked down? I'll have a few months to figure it out before the mast gets put back in place.
Old 17-03-2014, 11:41   #22

Hello All,

Posting a video of Kyrie under sail in Puget Sound Near Olympia Wa.

Enjoy,

Cheers
Attached Files
Old 17-03-2014, 14:18   #23

Video plays fine. Thanks for posting.
Old 20-05-2014, 19:45   #24

pirate Re: Aquarius 24 Pilot Cutter

Beautiful boat! I sailed on an Aquarius PC out of Florida some years ago. The boat was awesome. Due largely to her owner. I owned a catalina 27 at the time and we cruised all around Florida. The owner sailed the Aquarius up and down the east coast and to the Bahamas. The only thing he ever said that was negative was that one time he got caught in some rough stuff in the gulfstream and water come into the cockpit for the lack of a combing. He added some large boards that were removable which surrounded the cockpit from the cabin truck back. Beyond that he loved the boat. Road through at least one hurricane at anchor. It was a joy to sail. Congrats.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
Hello Les,

Thank you for your response. I will post more pictures of Kyrie as I have the time to do so. Do you happen to own one of these fine vessels? If so, congratulations. If not, put it on your to purchase list.

I understand they (Aquarius) did not produce many (33) in total, depends on whether or not they started as a TopSail 32 or Aquarius 24 Pilot Cutter.
Mine was of the TopSail variety and number 9 on the production line.

I've been very fortunate to have purchased Kyrie from her previous owner and also talked with the second owner who originally brought her back from almost ready for the graveyard to a state of pride to all her owners then and now. (Thank you Chuck and Gerry)

Thank you and look forward to reading from all who are so fortunate to own this unknown but very proud classic.

Cheers,

John
My wife and I owned the boat after Chuck.
She was awesome. PM me and I'll tell you all you want to know. I might be able to solve a couple of mysteries.

Smooth Sailing,
Tom
Old 02-04-2015, 22:13   #26

I know this is an old thread but I'm doing some work for a guy who has one of these boats in the SF Bay Area. He has an entire rig including mast, Harken furler, staysail, main and rigging that he would like to sell.

The sails are in good condition. The jib and staysail are tanbark and the stays have Sta-lok fittings. It's in overall pretty good condition.

If anyone is interested, he'll make a good deal for the entire rig.
Old 03-08-2016, 19:46   #27

I know this is an old thread : ) but did you ever sell?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:23   #28

True wind,

I still have the boat. She's going to be on the hard this fall for some upgrades to her mast ...
I'll post pictures of her progress

Cheers

John
Old 07-09-2016, 15:31   #29

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter

Kyrie,
I just acquired an aquarius pilot cutter last month. She is not nearly as nice as yours! However, I do plan on refitting her over the course of the next few years- with extensive Bluewater cruising in mind. I look forward to talking with you about this beautiful vessel. I was wondering how you determined your hull number ( as far as being x/33) I have found that mine was made in January of 1980- but I do not know how to determine the actual hull number. Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2016, 18:27   #30

Ahoy Bob,

Sorry for the delay, I was out town and didn't have good cell service....
Congratulation on your acquisition of these wonderful sailing vessels...
I've had Kyrie for 3 yrs now and am always learning something about her all the time...

As for your question about the production numbers, I've only seen my HIN and no other Aquarius PC 24, but if I were giving you a good guess, yours will be in the first four digits of that HIN...
For example:

TPG0009XXXX

the last four digits will be something that appears to be a month and a year

Example:

0778. Jul 1978....

Please do not hold this info to be correct but from what I'm reading on the title, it seems to make sense....

I hope this helped

Cheers mate

John. SV Kyrie Eleison

Tags
cutter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: