Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 17:33   #16

Boat: Beneteau 50
Look for repo boats. In yachtworld, search on the words "bank", "repo", and "repossessed". There are deal out there. Be ready to jump when you find one. Get a survey.

Regards
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 20:36   #17

Boat: Baba 30
I would suggest some hard study scm007, to learn about the boats on your list. They have different manufacturers, different construction (in hull lay-up & thickness, deck to hull joints, systems installations, etc...). You'll learn what makes a boat sea-worthy, and learn about important design charactoristics. And as was stated earlier, all of these boats need work. And that's fine so long as you start with a well designed and well built boat. We bash around Vancouver Island in our boat, secure in the knowledge that we did our homework, then spent the time and money necessary to improve and up date a good boat.
Hey there's plenty of winter left, so start reading!
Fair Winds! Bob
bob and sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:59   #18

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
re Newport 33

Having owned a Newport for 10 years, I saw a couple of things on the N33 in your post that might be an issue. First, notice the water stains just above the carpet in the pic of the "L" shaped settee. Looks like there was standing water in the cabin. Second, you can see lots of water stains on the wood trim below the ports. Rebedding solved that problem with my Newport, but the veneer trim was toast. The Universal M-25 is a plus, most were built with a 16 hp Universal and underpowered. The Newport 27, 28, 30 and 41 are pretty fast, the Newport 33, not so much, but it is roomy. Large head is a plus. Price seems good, if the standing water did not rot all the cabinet and bulkhead bases.

Enjoy the search.

Steve
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 22:31   #19

Quote:
Man this forum is such a great resource! I thought they were all too cheap because people had told me a boat would cost 70k for what I wanted, and all of these guys seemed to fit the bill (right size, not too old).
They will still easily cost you 70K. Basically, they are all at the age where things need to be replaced. Chances are that the prices reflect the fact that no major refit has been done. You're buying a hull with fittings that are suitable for light in-shore use - not serious coastal cruising. None of them are offshore boats. Replacing everything on a boat that size can easily run 40K. Get a really good survey first. !
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote