Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 01:04   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51
Re: Anyone recognise design/origin of this?

im pretty sure its a PIG ,i think the design was out a company called Sow and Boar Ltd. they are from a small country town called Sty somwere north of the equator
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:41   #32

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

In your shoes, not enough $ to get something worthwhile, I'd build. John Welsfords Swaggie is a start, 18' but room of some 24'ers. Or bigger (and really cheap) choose one of the Triloboats. Some people put these boats together in less than year, a few months in the case of the Triloboats. The beauty of it is you don't need to have all the cash at the beginning.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh, one more suggestion, Tophat 25.

Tophat 25ft fixed keel fibreglass yacht with outboard | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Kogarah Area - Kogarah Bay | 1037172153

Again, with the two thirds offer option, close to the budget. Transport might be a problem though.
Yeah, nice boat and in fact one I'd looked at already. Coming from the East coast, it would cost at least that to freight her. That was the idea with the ferro, big and stable enough to sail home from there. Could doubtless do it with that one, but the cost of going over there is a bit high. Being a keel boat, no trailer, it would cost more just to get it lifted out onto a truck there and freighted here than I'd be happy to spend, the cost of shipping boats East to West is way more then West to East.
To cover freight of something like that in my budget it would need to be more like 1k at most, because liftout and freight would be 2-3k to here I'd say.

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
im pretty sure its a PIG ,i think the design was out a company called Sow and Boar Ltd. they are from a small country town called Sty somwere north of the equator
LOL. Yeah, and probably quite a tender pig at a guess.

Seriously, no one seems to recognise it, which is also a concern.

I'm offering scrap metal price for good reason, that being one of them, but I think the seller is expecting way more than I'm prepared to pay for, ah, a 'pig in a poke' lol.

AussieGeoff
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Thinking about buying this (dirt cheap). 25' All steel. Anyone recognise the design or build? It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.
A skip?

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Absolutely right! TS16s are a total hoot.

Edit, oh darn, I now see it has been eliminated from the options list.
I'm afraid the Chief Officer, who was a total landlubber, but now a convert, still has definite ideas about what she will sail on, which pretty much excludes anything under 22' or so. Something like the RL24 or Tophat 25 would fit her requirements pretty well, (meaning it also has to be comfortable for a weekend with 3 - 4 people) so smaller than the 22' Duncanson she went on first of all is a non starter, her first day out was spent with the lee rail mostly underwater in a stiff southerly with a modest sea which was something of an experience for her. So she's not ready to play self positioning ballast on the weather side of a 16 or 18 footer any day soon. We don't have a sheltered harbour to sail in here - you have to go out into the Gulf, it's protected to a degree, but roughish. She got spoiled by the 35' ferro we had for a while, it was big, solid and extremely stable, and it's going to be hard to hit her comfort zone on our budget.

In an ideal world, a bilge or tilt keeler, something you can safely put on the mud in our tidal flat world here would be good. Don't like centreboards at all (take up too much space in a small cabin), but I'd manage with a keelboat - just means you have to watch where you go to a greater degree around here. When I was in Sydney it was kinda a relief to be able to take something with a six foot draft within 20 metres of the shoreline most places without going aground, even well into the Parramatta.

AussieGeoff

Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks, it's been a huge help.

AussieGeoff
Old 10-02-2014, 07:24   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-120499.html
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:54   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Thinking about buying this (dirt cheap). 25' All steel. Anyone recognise the design or build? It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.
West coast of Oz if that's any help. Name (Bengali Dancer) suggests maybe India. Anyone?

AussieGeoff
Looks like something from 20,000 leagues under the sea...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A skip?

LOL. To be honest it looks more like someone set out to build a motor launch and changed their mind and made a sailboat instead. I wondered for a while if it was some godawful conversion but there's no evidence it ever had a propshaft etc so...

Seen something similar done here to a workboat - looks ok but sails about how you'd figure, they bought some lead from the huge smelter here and put a keel and ballast on. By all accounts it's a very scary boat under sail, clearly not enough keel or ballast and probably the wrong hull shape. Gone now, some suck... er, enthusiast, bought it.

AussieGeoff
Old 10-02-2014, 08:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Looks like something from 20,000 leagues under the sea...
The upperworks are vaguely reminiscent of an all weather lifeboat in some ways.

The deckhouse suggests someone got sick of not being able to stand up inside her and they've added that raised centre section to a somewhat more conventional deckhouse to give a full headroom walkway in the saloon section.

I know I've seen something very like it somewhere, but I can't quite remember where. The gentleman from Portugal who posted a pic of a Caprice 19 is the closest I've seen so far.

I'm going to rattle the owners cage again and see if he'll respond.

AussieGeoff
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone recognise design/origin of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff;1464541The [SIZE=5
The gentleman [/SIZE]from Portugal who posted a pic of a Caprice 19 is the closest I've seen so far.
AussieGeoff
Oiiiiii... easy with the insults.. we've only just met.. Bruce...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:36   #42

Boat: hunter 376

If you get the thing for $500, the first thing I would do is to cut off the raised part of the cabin...to much weight, to high up. Weld a roof on, or use some kind of frame and sheet metal arrangement to save weight. If you lose the standing headroom, well...its a 500 buck cruising boat. Steel is pretty easy to work with if you can cut and weld it. I don't think the boat is such a bad idea, maybe needs more time than money. But you should expect to spend more than anticipated anyway. Obviously, you could comb used marine stores, flea markets, Craigslist, ect. (I just gave away a 2 burner alchohol stove with oven in perfect condition after I pulled it from our boat after installing propane.) Good luck, hope this project goes better.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
If you get the thing for $500, the first thing I would do is to cut off the raised part of the cabin...to much weight, to high up. Weld a roof on, or use some kind of frame and sheet metal arrangement to save weight.
Yes, I'd certainly consider that. Also too much sail area for my liking.

Quote:
If you lose the standing headroom, well...its a 500 buck cruising boat. Steel is pretty easy to work with if you can cut and weld it.
I can cut, fold and weld steel. And I have friends that do it for a living (they build trailers) and have a fully equipped factory with all the good gear...
I could probably replace the heavy centre section with something thinner and lighter, probably in Zincannealled steel, but thinner and lighter.

[QUOTE=shorebird;1464570]
I don't think the boat is such a bad idea, maybe needs more time than money.
/[QUOTE]

Yes and as I've pointed out, doing up boats is usually a question of a lot of money and a little time, or a little money and a lot of time. I don't have to invest in the welders etc so it's mostly time for me - steel isn't that expensive for the bits that will need patching or replacing.

Quote:
But you should expect to spend more than anticipated anyway.
Cheops Law: Nothing is ever finished on time or under budget.

Yes, I agree, I figure that at worst, if it turns out to be past saving I can cut it into segments and get around 2-300 a tonne for the hull and sell the mast and fittings for around 500 or so a bit at a time. Makes it pretty revenue neutral if it turns out to be beyond help. (In a steel hull, that would probably mean all the plate and a significant amount of the frames are in need of replacement. Frankly I think that's unlikely, but that's the worst case.

Quote:
Obviously, you could comb used marine stores, flea markets, Craigslist, ect. (I just gave away a 2 burner alchohol stove with oven in perfect condition after I pulled it from our boat after installing propane.) Good luck, hope this project goes better.
Nothing like that around here but stuff turns up here and there. This is country Australia so no marine shops etc and no boat wrecking yards.

But Ebay is your friend and so is Gumtree (pretty much an Aussie Craigslist I suppose)

The boat was actually on Gumtree.

Thanks for your input mate.

AussieGeoff
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

No advice each man lives with his own best, The boat loks somewhat like a Kingfisher English built back in the 60's and 70' I do believe they were Bilge Keel Boats. The Cabin trunk was not that high.I was on one once and it did not have standing headroom.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 13:11   #45

Well, it's not a Nautor Swan by S&S. That's for sure!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote