Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 06:02   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Anyone near Miami? This boat.

I am looking at this boat:
1981 Endeavour Endeavour 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If I was to buy it I would have about $20k left to do work (I have lots of time). My question is anyone near Miami who has seen or would be willing to look at this boat before I fly from Virginia just to see it? I would pay for your time and gas.

This is the response I got from the agent when I emailed him some questions:
Hello,
In the photo, the port bow has a section of the original striping left. A maroon strip used to be just above the waterline.
I have found no soft spots on the deck. She has a solid engine, the sails and rigging are in great shape. Even an electric wench to help pull out the main.
She is price where she is because she needs a lot of cosmetic work. Her deck has the spiderweb cracks, the hull needs paint, the interior needs some carpentry. At least the port side ports need to be re-bedded and sealed (ports themselves are in good condition).
She sails very nicely, is a heavy solid cruiser. With some work she will be grand again.

Let me know if you can make it down or perhaps have a friend in the area come look at her for you.

I know I may be overstepping in requests from members but am just trying to save some airfare on something that may not be worth the trip.

Also as always any suggestions from members are quite welcome.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 08:43   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anyone near Miami? This boat.

Hello, vonotto,

What really got my attention was "at least the port side ports need to be re-bedded." How long have they been leaking is my question.

In the yachtworld statement about the boat, the words "appear" and "seem" lead me to doubt.

Beyond that, sorry, am not located where I could look at it for you, hope you find someone to help. I really think you will be best served by having a look at it for yourself, as you need to see if what the boat needs done fits your skills.

Ann
Old 23-05-2015, 07:03   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I do not know the type of construction for these vessels. However, at this vintage, it was common to use a balsa core. If this was the case, the core is wet where the ports are leaking.

Caution! BIG caution is advisable.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:48   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah, if the interior needs some "carpentry" that says to me that there has been long-standing water damage to the interior wood, although I didn't see it in the photos, which at least are dated currently. The boat looks nice! The two feet of extra boot stripe are puzzling, unless it is vinyl tape that was pulled off.

I may be misremembering, but I think I'd read that Ericson used exterior grade ply, instead of marine ply, in some areas. Making the boat less expensive but more prone to damage if there was water intrusion. Dunno for sure, just a hazy memory.

But if you have to fly down from Virginia...do another YW search centered on Miami and/or Fort Lauderdale, line up two or three boats per day in each, and make a two or three day weekend out of it. Lots of boats in Florida.

Of course, the brokers never mean to deceive or omit, they're almost all just hopelessly naïve and optimistic. And somewhat nearsighted.(G) At least you found one that will actually answer an email!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:06   #5

Ahoy mate,
I live in Ft.Lauderdale and wouldn't mind taking a look for you. Could snap some pictures and give it a once over. I owned and lived on an Irwin 37 for a year; sailed it all over from Tampa to the Keys. I also did all my own maintenance and repairs (things like electrical, mechanical, fiberglass, new lines, sails and bottom work) so I'm fairly comfortable I could point out any issues you might consider before making the trip down. If you want to schedule it with the broker/seller and pay for my gas, I can help.
Cheers,
Arron
owyheetreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:49   #6

Boat: Scout 30

If you're really serious about the boat get an in water survey. Boat US will give you a list a surveyors in the area. A few hundred could save you many thousands.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:32   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

It looks great. Good price. Buy it. I would.
Reduce your offer by the amount of your airfare.

Find out when the pics were taken. I viewed a boat that had used pictures several years old...the boat was nothing like the pictures. However, checking the dates will answer that.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:49   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Considering the amount of work needed the seller may be willing to accept a significantly lower offer. However, you need a survey before you make one because you need to know how much work the boat really needs. You could hire your own agent to handle things for you. The good news is the seller usually pays the commission!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 10:16   #9

You may want to check out the Endeavour Owners Forum, just google it. Most of the posts are over 10 years old but still apply. We own an E-37, and I'm finishing up replacing a very problematic below deck bulkhead that suffers from rot due to a design flaw. The 40's seem to have some rudder issues. The Beckson opening ports on our boat leaked, and needed overhauling. The parts aren't too expensive, and if your handy, you shouldn't have much trouble, but it did result in damage (rot) to the teak ply veneer on the interior of the cabin, that will eventually need replacing. Good luck. Paul
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If you're really serious about the boat get an in water survey. Boat US will give you a list a surveyors in the area. A few hundred could save you many thousands.
Excellent idea. Had a friend in CT boat shopping who found a Westsail 32 listed in Miami that sounded like a good deal, photos looked good, etc.

I got a surveyor I knew in S Florida to go by for a quick, in water inspection. Only charged a couple hundred and saved my friend in CT a trip. Surveyor found rot in the decks and cabin trunk among other things.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 14:43   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

I just bought a boat in Key Largo and I know 3 very good people you could call that might be willing to help. PM a phone number if you like. And...if you're not too far from Baltimore MD, Southwest flys from Balt to Ft Lauderdale for $94. Very convenient to rent a car and it's less than an hour to Miami. Just a thought.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 04:50   #12

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

All these replies have been very welcome and I thank you. I have someone lined up to take a peek at it. I will keep you informed.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 19:00   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

All good point made by others. It looks nice in the photos - they have to be really bad for the pictures to show it.

Serious questions on the balsa core or other embedded items. This can cost a lot of money or your time if you are properly talented.

Painting a hull is not cheap either. The paint itself is a high cost. If you plan to have it done, get quotes.

Having done this sort of thing, You need to have an out of water place to store it that allows you to work. This place needs to be close enough to where you live that driving over for a work day is no big deal. We spent our first four years on the hard.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 20:06   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

If the broker replied that if has an electric wench... Well I would probably read between the lines the rest of his reply something like:

I have found no soft spots on the deck. Because I haven't actually walked further than the pontoon, She has a solid engine because it's made of steel (or metal) the sails and rigging are in great shape because the bags look nice. Even an electric wench to help pull out the main.

She is price where she is because she needs a lot of cosmetic, mechanical, electrical, generally everything and anything to do with spending money kind of work. Her deck has the spiderweb cracks, the hull needs paint, after removing the last 40 years of paint, the interior needs some carpentry because someone tried to fix up the last guy that tried to fix her ups fix ups. At least the port side ports need to be re-bedded and sealed because that's where all the mould and rotten woodwork is on the interior(ports themselves are in good condition).

Someone at the yacht club bar said She sails very nicely, is a heavy (she's sitting 4" below her DWL) solid cruiser. With some years and years work she will be grand ( old) again
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:42   #15

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

In my opinion its worth the asking price, just for the electric wench.....

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?

Tags
miami