Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 16:13   #1

Anyone Have an Old Cal 1-30 ?

Hey everyone my name is Garrett and I just joined today. I have a 1964 Cal 1-30, the one with the modified full keel. I can hardly find any info or anyone else who has one. If anyone has any pictures, info, stories, or anything about this boat it would be great to see it. I bought mine for $4,000 bucks and im restoring to cruise down to mexico with the 2010 Baja Haha. Hopefully it will be ready by then. I hope somone else out there has this boat to. Thanks

Garrett
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 16:48   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Hi Garrett,

Welcome to CF.

We have a Cal 28 1967 and I am attaching a few links here for you. Many of them are focused on the 28s but link to or include good info about other Cals.

We are restoring our little hole in the water as well. In the process we have become quite attached to our old plastic classic! I am sure you will be as well.

Cal_Boats : Cal Sail List
Cal 28
Cal 28 sailboat
Cal 28 specs
CAL SAILBOATS
Cal 28-2 - Owners Group - SailNet Community
Cal 28 Sailboat Cal Sailboats Cal Boats Cal Yachts Classic Plastic Jensen Marine Cal 28 Bill Lathrop Jack Jensen Good Old Boat
Sailing older Cal Yachts homepage
Forum: Ask A Cal Owner

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 19:44   #3

Boat: 26' Macgregor
about to make an offer on a 1967 Cal 30, have only sailed a Macgregor 26' but we've decided we haev to have more room down below. I just hope Im not making a mistake by buying a 43 yr old boat....
RNC725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42   #4

They were great boats. Tough, fairly quick and livable. You'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Hey everyone my name is Garrett and I just joined today. I have a 1964 Cal 1-30, the one with the modified full keel. I can hardly find any info or anyone else who has one. If anyone has any pictures, info, stories, or anything about this boat it would be great to see it. I bought mine for $4,000 bucks and im restoring to cruise down to mexico with the 2010 Baja Haha. Hopefully it will be ready by then. I hope somone else out there has this boat to. Thanks

Garrett
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10   #5

Boat: Cal 34
I could not agree more with Joli. I have a 1968 Cal 34 and could not be happier with her. These old boats were built right and will last a long time more if they are taken care of. Good luck and enjoy her.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC725 View Post
about to make an offer on a 1967 Cal 30, have only sailed a Macgregor 26' but we've decided we haev to have more room down below. I just hope Im not making a mistake by buying a 43 yr old boat....

No mistake at all. Im really happy with my old boat it has taken me safely through some crazy conditions and chances are the one you buy will have been maintained far better than mine was when I bought it. Its a very well built boat with inch thick hand laid fiberglass my only complaint is that it doesnt have quite as much standing headroom as I would like due to very low freeboard I can just barely stand up strait and im 6ft , but o well.
Im installing a old diesel in mine right now that I bought from a salvage, and working on installing old radar that I got for free, and a furling system that I scored for 100 bucks. As you can probably tell im quite poor, but im only 18 so that makes it ok...I think. But once im done with that stuff, and I get myself a decent autopilot its down to mexico and hopefully the carribbean.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 23:39   #7

Cal 1-30

Hi Garret
We've had a Cal 1-30 for about 12 years, using it as a family boat on the British Columbia coast. We've become very fond of it over the years: it has a simple rig, a large and comfortable cockpit, a sensibly low freeboard for dinghy boarding, a very sensible dinette arrangement with heads at window level, and a decently sized double berth forward. The construction is plain, occasionally rough, but sturdy; it sails as well as we do, which is all that matters. It's not a year-round live-aboard for the Northwest coast, but with its airy cockpit would be very comfortable in Mexico and the tropics. Storage for provisions and water might be a problem, but the quarter berths are an obvious target if you need storage rather than bunks.
I'd be happy to send you some pictures of Prana, or, if I can figure out how to do it, post them somewhere on this site.
You're right about there being very little info on-line about this boat. They're common in the US, I understand, but as far as I've heard there are only a couple in B.C.
Good luck with your adventure!
Illtyd
Illtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 21:03   #8

Re: Anyone Have an Old Cal 1-30 ?

can anyone tell me what years the cal 30's had a full keel. ive been looking into these boats quite a bit and love em, but it seems only the earliest years had a full keel. is that true?
bdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 23:49   #9
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Try cal-boats group at yahoogroups, they know everything about Cals
Old 15-04-2012, 20:35   #10

Hello sailors. I come from the future, I am from the year 2012. I have entered my time machine to reply to this thread.

I bought a 1965 Cal 1-30. Paid 7k, but have been told it needs new standing rigging (including tangs). 2.5k. Also, jib is way too big for Hawaii. Needs to be cut down to 100. And the luff is the wrong size for the furler. No wonder is came completely out of the foil on the way to Waikiki! :-(

But it is definitely a solid boat. It is very rooming inside. I am looking forward to fixing it up. The inboard 20hp Atomic-4 had been removed by previous owner. But the Honda 9.9 got me to Waikiki and back fine today. Wish the shrouds and stays were strong enuf to raise sails.

Aloha,
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal