Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 21:57   #1

Anyone ever seen a gaff rigged main on a westsail 32?

Anyone ever seen a gaff rigged main on a westsail 32? Deck stepped mast? would it be Possible to keel step on a boat like that?

rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 22:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Anyone ever seen a gaff rigged main on a westsail 32?

you would need to move the mast forward to get the center of effort correct to balance the large main and small jib configuration,also probably add a bowsprit.
this would put the mast in the forecabin which might be problematic if keel stepped.

Old 15-11-2019, 10:20   #3

Thanks for the input. Im going to look at a Westsail 32 this weekend. Ill have a better idea of the layout soon. I'm a wooden boat guy and and have always been in love with the William Atkin Thistle double enders which the Westsails are based on. The availability of An Atkin Thistle in good enough shape to take cruising offshore and prohibitive price has me looking at alternatives. I have worked on a lot of traditional rigs and do alot of traditional rigging, and was very intent on having a gaff rigger, that I would rig myself to have a very traditional looking but robust rig with modern high tenacity fiber shrouds (parcelled and served), rope stropped wooden blocks, etc..

I like the looks of and the weight of the Westsail 32, I guess I have never had to deal with a deck stepped mast before and am not sure how I feel about that. Obviously we take care of our rigs and don't plan for them to fail, building in redundancies but in the event it did the whole thing would go clean over the side..

You guys are the small boat experts and I appreciate very much all the input. I am used to sailing traditionally rigged vessels between 100-220 feet so obviously I have alot to learn about the space considerations below decks on a 32 foot cruiser. I wonder if it would be possible to balance out the C/E with a fairly long bowsprit where the outer jib runs out on a traveller ring, Similar to some of the older Colin Archer style pilot boats with the long bowsprits.

Anyway, lots of theory, but Ill have a look at the layout of the boat on the weekend and do some more pondering.

Cheers

Ryan

Here is a piece of floating artwork, quite a long bowsprit on this one, also it runs in and out that is a great little system.

Old 17-11-2019, 14:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarakai21 View Post
Anyone ever seen a gaff rigged main on a westsail 32? Deck stepped mast? would it be Possible to keel step on a boat like that?
I own a Westsail 32. The boat has a very long bowsprit. At least 5 feet.

I think it would be a lot of work to keel step it. The sole of factory models is solid teak and holly. Its nearly 2 inches thick.

Below the mast is a wooden compression post. The compression post is part of the head door and bulkhead.

If you move the mast forward it will interfere with travel foreword into the v berth and head.

I had to drill a hole into the deck to install a diesel heater flue and it was at least 2 inches thick.

Shes a solid boat.

I looked at a gaff rig as well. I don't think its worth the effort. Its a fine vessel as is
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 17:39   #5

Thanks for the input!
Old 17-11-2019, 18:19   #6

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Any reason you’d want to keep step a deck/cabin stepped mast?

My understanding is if you have a good compression post and footing it’s perfectly good plus no leaks?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 19:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have a gaff rigged Cape George 31. Just a wee bit smaller than a WS 32, and the mast steps on deck in a tabernacle. I would have absolutely no problem deck-stepping a gaff rig on deck on a WS32. FWIW, I only moved my mast 6" forward from the drawings for a marconi rig. I could have left it in the same place, but as I was building new, and it worked better for my cabin layout, it seemed the right thing to do. Thing is, you can change the CE of gaff sails so easily by lengthening or shortening the boom, or adding bowsprit length, or tweaking mast height, that keeping the mast where it is would be quite easy.
Lots of info/pics on my blog: zartmancruising dot com
Also happy to answer questions here or by pm if you wish.

Tags
sail