Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 18:22   #1

Anybody sailing worldwide in a Jeanneau?

Hi

looking to hear from people living aboard a Jenneau Sun Odyssey and mainly if going on long passages or circumnavigating.

What is the experience?
What were the upgrades made?
What year is it?
Any recommendation for someone probably buying one to start sailing the caribbean for 1 year and then leaving to South pacific? We have very little experience and it would be nice to know if there is more people out there with the same boat we are looking after
jferline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 00:04   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Anybody sailing worldwide in a Jeanneau?

many many french!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 00:38   #3

I have been looking at the Beneuteus, not seen many Jens would also be interested......
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:05   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Our friends sailed a rtw in a Jeanneau. They did not do any upgrades. They just bought the boat in I think 2005 and then sailed the loop in 2006/2007.

I cannot remember any extra gear other than a genset and an induction plate.

They did not have any breakdowns.

It was 2005 model, size 52.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:55   #5
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Laura Dekker lived on her Jeanneau Gin Fizz for 2 years while she became the youngest sailor to circumnavigate.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:33   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferline View Post
Hi

looking to hear from people living aboard a Jenneau Sun Odyssey and mainly if going on long passages or circumnavigating.

What is the experience?
What were the upgrades made?
What year is it?
Any recommendation for someone probably buying one to start sailing the caribbean for 1 year and then leaving to South pacific? We have very little experience and it would be nice to know if there is more people out there with the same boat we are looking after
I did it in a Beneteau, and wouldn't hesitate to do it in a Jenneau. Upgrades were dodger, bimini, SSB radio, really good autopilot with backup, radar, AIS, scuba compressor, and watermaker. Most used boats already have many of these upgrades.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:06   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We are currently circumnavigating is a 40 foot Sun Fast - which is a Sun Odyssey with a keel stepped mast, a bit more canvas and a longer and hevier keel. everything else is a Sun Odyssey.
We mounted a targa arch (for solar and radar) a watermaker and an inverter.

Everything else is standard on the boat.

You haven't mentioned what size boat you're looking for - 40 feet might be small - but we're double handing so it is the right size for us.

So far we've sailed from Denmark, across to Scotland, down the irish sea further to the Canaries, across the pond and done the windward islands. We're leaving Marinique next week to sail to Canada for the summer and will come back down to the CAribbean next winter season.
The only issues we've had so far have been elctrical - the result of a bad installation job of a new autopilot in Scotland

The boat is from 2006 - we bought it in 2010 and so far we've sailed almost 12000nm in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 15:05   #8

Boat: LAGOON 440 Catamaran

Have a look at Rick Moore YouTube channel. He has been cruising the Caribbean for nine years on a Jeanneau 51. Across 150 video's he covers just about everything.
JeffBurnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:23   #9

Ruby Slippers is a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49
"....they turned left and spent two years traveling to exotic ports of call in the South Pacific...."

Pacific Northwest Boating News: My Boat | SV Ruby Slippers | Three Sheets Northwest

http://cobrokerage.boatsgroupwebsite...l=1&parent=445
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:54   #10

Boat: Jeanneau gin fiz,38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Laura Dekker lived on her Jeanneau Gin Fizz for 2 years while she became the youngest sailor to circumnavigate.

We have been sailing in the same model Jeanneau Gin Fizz (same as Miss Dekker). From 2006 to 2013 made CCA 32.000 miles. Atlantic twice, Pacific, Indian ocean (boat is ketch 1978). No problems whatsoever except normal maintenance. Presently in Malaysia.Older models were built stronger than nowadays
basjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:32   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

We (family of 4) live on a 2002 sun odessey 52.2 in Australia. Plan to do our first passage (800 nm to New Caledonia) in May. She sails beautifully in most conditions we've encountered off the east coast. We noticed , when looking for boats, that European production boats built before economic crisis of 2009 or whenever it was, seemed to be a stronger build than those built after. We have added watermaker, solar panels (and am considering electric washing machine, but also considering a better home-made washing machine made with 2 buckets, a drill & a plunger). Today I sewed covers for the jerry cans of spare fuel we keep on deck to try to prevent the plastic deteriorating. We added paddle boards because it's fun and helps us stay fit. And we have a cool cool chest that we are adding an element to so that it becomes a second fridge..... um, oh, we added Davits and a step down I nverter because it was built for America and we are 240 volts in Australia..... we only have one furling jib- wouldn't mind a second furling headsail.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 14:11   #12

Hi

I am sailing my sun fast 37 / 2001 in the Baltic Sea - but she has been all the way down to the canaries already.

Very strong and stable boat with lots of space in the hull - even @ 37ft.

Would give away mine for fair price.
Any offer is welcome. She is in the water and can be sailed.

Engine and many other stuff replaced 2010. under water hull sanded and painted last winter.
Sun_Fast_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 16:50   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

There's often predjustice against production boats like Jeaneaus on this forum, in my travels I see many that are successfully cruising and circumnavigating. Ive often asked the skippers about their boats and I can't think of one that hasn't been pleased. Tankage is sometimes an issue but with watermakers this is becoming a thing of the past and they sail well so fuel range is generally sufficient. Bang for buck, they are hard to beat.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 01:34   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We sail a 2001 launched 2003 Jeanneau DS40. We bought her new and probably between 35-40k nm on her. we have sailed the east coast of the usa 2 1/2time, all the Bahamas twice, from Miami to Cartagena Colombia via Mexico, Belize ect - across the Carib to Jamaica and down to Trinidad - then up to Antigua and a 2 handed crossing of the Atlantic and into the Med - All over the Med, Last year a circum nav of the Black Sea (probably the 1st boat in a few years to go all the way around) -
We are starting on our 10 years as full time liveaboard cruisers -
We simply love our boat and don't think we could have gotten a better boat for us.

as for upgrades - well that is a bit personal - what we did was put a bunch of toys on her before she was launched including additional batteries, variable pitch prop, radar and a bunch of other stuff -
then added ssb, solar, and ais after the first run up the east coast
Then when we started we did 2 years in the Bahamas learning to cruise and what the boat needed and went into Deltaville Va and added a watermaker, a 2nd fuel tank, more solar and I forget what else
We continue to upgrade her as it is never finished in our opinion = we added side curtains in Trinidad and last year added a spurs shaft line cutter

She is a great sailing boat and can be quite fast at times if she had great sailors on board which we are not - she is comfortable and easy to sail - and we have taken a few beatings and really bad beating a couple of times and she is rock

Hope this helps
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 02:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
There's often predjustice against production boats like Jeaneaus on this forum, in my travels I see many that are successfully cruising and circumnavigating. Ive often asked the skippers about their boats and I can't think of one that hasn't been pleased. Tankage is sometimes an issue but with watermakers this is becoming a thing of the past and they sail well so fuel range is generally sufficient. Bang for buck, they are hard to beat.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I wouldn't disagree with the above, but the main problem I see with second hand high production boats is that they are almost without exception ex-charter craft.

Again not a problem in itself, but it means they all have almost identical interiors designed for maximum occupancy and marina living as opposed to long distance cruising with minimal crew.

Fine if you are looking for that, but otherwise I'm not sure how many pennies you would need to spend to re-fit an interior compared to buying a more expensive boat that is already designed specifically for the purpose from the off. And that's a genuine question..
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau, sail, sailing