Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2007, 19:03   #1

Anybody know what brand of boat this is?

Hi everyone!

This might be a case of being careful what you wish for, but I am looking for a project boat.

Does anyone know what kind of boat this is and if so what kind of reputation does it have.? VisualMedia : photos : boat - powered by SmugMug

It is about 30 ft and has no serial number or manufacurer info.

I don't want to get started on something only to find out later I shouldn't have bothered.

Thank you for everyones help!
slowdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 19:14   #2

No but it looks like something that was laying around Antigua English Harbour for a decade or so.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 17:57   #3

the transom and windows look somewhat like an Ericson. The wheel though throws me off. Do you know what kind of keel is under there and if the rudder is attached or spade...?
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 18:37   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Is it a hurricane victim? Abandoned? What about ownership/salvage issues?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 18:46   #5

I could swear these pics are from English Harbor and this abandoned boat is lying across from the Admiral's Inn tied to the mangroves. Do you know where and when the pic was taken?

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 02:59   #6

I don't know about the designer,but it looks like an FC hull.The line that runs ,bow to stern,is grooved.And very deep also.The disscolouration of the hull dosen't look like GRP,GOP or steel.That all depends on how long it's been lying there I suppose.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 07:35   #7

Boat: Glander Tavana, 33', Patience Too
I kinda looks like a Glander Tavana. Mine has a tiller, though.
sonofasailorsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 14:24   #8

All I Know

The old boat is in Tampa. It floats on a very high tide. According to a local it was abandoned 9 months ago. Aparently it got seperated from its anchor line somehow and was floating around the anchorage bumping into the other boats. Some of the other boat owners towed it over to the shore line. It has no registration numbers. I understand that to claim an abondoned boat in Fl, you apply to the Fish & Wildlife Police and they search for an owner. If the owner does not come forward within 90 days, they grant your claim. The water is always very muddy so I have no idea if the keel and rudder meet. It appears to have a full keel from the way it sits nose down in the mud. I would guess it as a center board , but I don't know. It floats level in about 3-4 feet of water. I have not been aboard so what ever clues may be inside have not been investigated.

I didn't even think about it being an FC hull. I just asumed it was fiberglass. I don't have any experiene with FC and don't think I want to. Is there an easy way to tell? Is FC smooth like fiberglass?

Thank you for everyones help!
Old 24-08-2007, 20:24   #9

Row over and have a closer look,take a rubber hammer and give it a few wacks.(GR)Chances are if it's been there for 9mths,nobody would object to you going aboard to have a look around,the owner sure dosen't care about it.The fact that it floats is a bonus.I wouldn't worry what brand/construction material it was made of,I'd put in a salvage thingie real quick like and get that sorted out first.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 21:41   #10

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
As i understand it, when i used to work on Singer Island we had a few "strays" that bumped around, or found their way to shore and this qualified for some kind of salvage rights to the person/s responsible for rounding them up. kinda' like we used to do the wild cows here in Florida back in the 1800's. i have personally seen someone lay claim to a drifting vessel, though don't know if they held that claim or not.
DOT and FFW would definetely be the ones to talk to on this, but if it is tied up/anchored their might be stipulations to the salvage thing. the fact that it has no registration info is wierd, and this may be a tough thing to work with regarding the title search, unless you have a hull number that is readable. i would think that a closer inspection is in order here. i think you are on to something.
it's not unlike a rich NYer to come down in season, buy a cheap sailboat to party on and take pictures and leave it 'til next season or for good...heehee
good luck, for sure! let us know what the REAL laws are behind this kinda thing.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30   #11

Finally found out what brand she is

I went back and looked the old boat over. I didn't go aboard, but I paddled around it several times and stood up and looked inside. What a mess. The floor boards were missing and there was just piles and piles of junk everywhere. She was a really nice boat in her day, but in great disrepair. Im sure she could be restored if someone had enough time and money, but not me. I doubt its restored value would be greater than the cost of the repairs.

Later in the day I was paddling past a marina and saw the exact same style boat. The owner was aboard, so I asked him what kind of boat he had. He said it was a Morgan 34. He was having problems with his engine and said it was hard to get parts for the old engine and it was near imposible to swap out the motor due to location.

Maybe someone will claim the boat, but most likely the state will drag it out of there and chop it up for the land fill. Other boats in this area have already met this fate.