Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Any Tips for my Jeanneau 57 ?

I recently bought a Jeanneau 57 and will hopefully take delivery of it mid June to sail it to Marmaris.

Are there any owners of this model out there who could give me tips on this particular boat, potential problems and things to look for?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks
NeverMinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Any tips for my Jeanneau 57?

I am not an owner, but congragulations.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Never believe the fuel gauge......All the Jeanneaus I've sailed say there is half a tank of fuel when it's down to 10% of capacity!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 14:32   #4

Hi NeverMinds

Firstly, congratz on a lovely boat

i'm picking my new Jeanneau 57 up from france next week, and i will make sure to inform you on the progress on how that goes should anything be found to truoble me.

Having sailed sailed Jeanneau the last 5 years im very confident with the new purchase

My biggest concern i have is the new docking 360 system they have installed, does your boat come with this system?

-Drilith
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 15:34   #5
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMinds View Post
I recently bought a Jeanneau 57 and will hopefully take delivery of it mid June to sail it to Marmaris.

Are there any owners of this model out there who could give me tips on this particular boat, potential problems and things to look for?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Well lets hope for your sake there are no problems as you have bought the dam thing . Probably these are the questions you should of asked before you handed over your hard earned dinerio..lol.

On a serious note I'm actually very jealous ,i saw a newish 57 at the dock the other day and it looks awesome . Good luck.
www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27   #6

Re: Any Tips for my Jeanneau 57 ?

Hi Nevermind,

i just completed the Maiden voyages on my new 57' here is some of the issues i found during the 7 days, 1040 Nautical mile voyages

- The electric genua didn't work when we set sail, but working with the fuses we got it to work later on

- The scepters on both side of the ship was leaking water when ever we got water on the deck from waves or rain. it made madras wet and left white salt stripes on the interior. this was the biggest problem and one that is being fixed in harbour as we speak.

- the robe to reduce the mainsail broke due to bad connection from the beam to the mast. i suggest you go through your 3 robes and double check that they have clearance to run smoothly.

- The lantern was not working proberly but we found out that it was a bad connection with the wiring so after a small fix they are working again now.

- We broke the radar and deck light with the genua making a bad turn, (more our fault than jeanneu) these has to be fixed as well. A steel ring will be mounted around the radar to prevent this happening again.

- The main hatch to the salon is very difficult to open from the inside and i am waiting for jeanneau to find a solution to solve this

beside these small issues the trip went smooth and perfect.

i am planning further installation on the boat such as water maker, deck pump, and a small crane above the garage mounted with a wind generator and fog horn. this crane will make it easier when handling the outboard engine on the dhingy. (my engine is a 4 stroke 15hp weighing 56kg)

The weather was pretty rough the first couple of days with high gale winds up to 36 kn so i would say we put the boat to the test

The engine, electricity and docking 360 worked perfectly the entire trip

Hope this can help prepare for your trip.

on a side note i will be sailing my 57' in and around Marmaris middle of next year.

see you around,

- Drilith
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Congratulations! "Zanshin" is a J57 and I'm quite happy with her. There is a web site with some details on the boat at Sailboat “Zanshin” - single handed voyages around the Caribbean, with logbook, pictures and blog pages and I'm open to any questions.

As I live aboard for over half the year I opted for many options and quite a bit of battery capacity and charging power.

The main sheet sheeting system isn't well planned, but I believe that the newer models have a fix and Jeanneau will retrofix my boom arrangement once I return to the boat. I opted for the second fuel tank and have had problems with the control panel to move fuel around. I didn't get the Jeanneau watermaker but put in a Spectra unit which is working quite well and easily keeps up with my water requirements.
The J57 handles well with a typical Jeanneau feel (I had a 43DS and 49DS prior to this boat and they all feel the same) but I don't have 360 docking. I did the Baltimore-St. Martin trip just after last year's Annapolis boat show (where the boat was shown) and it took 8 days in pretty hefty weather. All that waterline length makes for fast passage speeds.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith View Post
Hi Nevermind,

i just completed the Maiden voyages on my new 57' here is some of the issues i found during the 7 days, 1040 Nautical mile voyages
- Drilith
Dirilth has pointed out something that is common with all NEW vessels from dinghies to aircraft carriers...

Boats are very complicated and take months, if not years to build.
My only suggestion is make sure you build some time into your timeline for a "Shake Down Cruise" before you take off on any long passages.

When we first accepted our Catalina, we took it out for a two week shake down and came back with a punch list of about 15 items... Some small, other major, like a kinked fuel line from one of the fuel tanks were it took a ninety degree turn.

Again, I am not saying the manufactures do bad work, just that over the 6-10 months that your boat was being constructed, many people layed hands on it... and some may have been interupted or forgot to finish something along the way.

We also buddy boated with a Jeanneau 57 for about 6 months in 2010. He bought the boat two months before he started cruising, thinking that since the boat had been a DEMO for a local yacht broker that all the problems were worked out...

He found out different when used the water maker while sailing down the Baja... Someone forgot to attach the watermaker discharge line to the thru hull. Instead it drained into the bilge and almost flooded his cabins.

Also he ended up re-enforceing the ladder mount on the swim platform, after it cracked. That in my opinion was poor design.

The only other thing I didn't like about the design was the steps to the forward cabins. With the doors closed, there was still a step down open to the main cabin... It is a broken ankle ready to happen, maybe some stainless rails would keep someone from stepping into them?

Above that, the boat is beautiful, spacious and for its size easy to sail or motor.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau