Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 14:13   #1

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30
Smile Any San Juan 30 Owners out there

Looking to meet Clark San Juan 30 Owners to Possibility Sail with in the San Juan's I live with Orcas and Sucia in my front yard. I'm Moored in Sandy Point 5nm from Sucia and orcas is about 3 1/2nm to the southwest. Would love to here from any owner and Share Stories of past ventures out. Thank you
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 18:18   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Any San Juan 30 Owners out there

Hi Chevy 1217,
I don't own a 30, but do have a San Juan 7.7. And unfortunately am a little more inland than you. That all said we love our boat, San Juans are fun and easy to handle. Well built and can take a lot of different conditions comfortably.
This is our first year with it but would gladly share stories and pics.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 09:03   #3

Hi Chris thank you for responding to my post. Yes they are fun do you ever get out this way would love to show you the Island's They do handle very very well and are built like a Tank. I have had mine out in winds of upwards of 80 knots not my choice I was sailing from Seattle to my new moorage on Sandy Point I never made it Got within 30nm then got stuck in a freak wind storm we lowered all sails and decided to motor in to La Connor to get out of the wind upon entering the Channel a Barge decided to do the same I was at 8knts and had to idle down at that point a Giant wave swamped me killed the engine sucked up some water I could not restart it after drifting into water that was getting to keel depth I flaged a 40or so footer that was coming in after trying to tie up it was unsuccessful waves were to big so my only way out was to pull the Jib sheet out and hope for the best I was a little worried in 60 to 80 knt wind if the boat would handle it Boy it sure did once the sheet was out she turned and took off On gps chart plotter my speed was 33knts that little boat was Hauling ass about 3times hull speed took everything my sailing Partner had to hold it on the winch we shackled ourselves in and took a ride we hide behind Hope Island a great name for someone that was hoping to find calm water on the backside we did 6 mooring buoy's we coasted to one and tied off was the most wind I have ever been out in But was very proud of my boat it handled it like it was made to do so since then I have not been afraid to sail in stronger winds no main she would have Heeled over to her side I'm sure but flying with just the jib out the average wind at times in the San Juan's are common at 15 to 25 it handles waves swells up to 20 feet with ease my boat is heavy ballast is 4000 plus I took it out of the water to weigh it it was 11,763 pounds with all the gear on board I just love my boat wouldn't trade it for anything that was in October of this year I also discover the self bailing system works awesome as well the Clark's did a great job on the design along with Bruce Kirby for a Half ton class boat I would take it anywhere after that Cruz with No worries she will sail out of anything the weather throws at her I have lot's of adventure's to talk about so lets chat maybe sometime soon do a sailing trip I would love to go to the top of the Georgia Strait about a 100 nm North I hear it is very Nice up that way Thanks for reading Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capt. Jack.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	109543  
Old 21-09-2015, 21:11   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are only fresh water sailors for now. We are going to Vancouver Island in may to do our ispa courses, comp crew and day skipper. Would love to trailer to the coast for a few weeks sailing but probably won't have the boat or us up to speed until the 2017 summer.
Sounds like a hell of a day in those winds!! But you and the boat survived so all is well. Our worst so far wasn't even close to that.
Two weeks ago we were out with a friend, his gf and her son. A freak storm blew in fast. It hit us on a close, haul tipped us to about 45 and we rounded up. Allison(my wife) was on the tiller and had never experienced that before. She handled it well and put us downwind. My and my buddy dropped sails and got the motor going. Started driving into the wind to the closest sheltered area. Then watched a hobbie cat capsized. We had 6-7 foot breaking waves. This in a lake 30' deep so waves were very close together.my outboard was alternating between fully out of the water and fully submerged. We got over to the guy and pulled him aboard. It took about 45 min before he was settled enough to even tell us his name. No real injuries but definitely in shock. After it calmed down we went to rescue his boat.( I will never do that again) It took a couple hours to flip it and his sails were still powered up so it came up and sailed right to us and flipped on top of our poor little boat. Luckily it didn't hurt any of us or out boat. By this time his yacht club had come out to get him, so we handed him and his boat over and headed for our marina.
By this point we were all soaked, the gf was blind drunk, her kid was freaked! Me, Allison and my buddy were taking turns at the tiller and all shivering cold. Then we spotted an upside down hull in the dark!! We did about 6 laps searching for people while calling 911. Didn't find anyone thankfully. The motor was not staying on at low idle so we left it to the pros to deal with and limped home( another 30 min or so)
The next morning we heard reports of another 8 boats capsized, mostly small crafts, and winds in the sheltered marina were 28 knts. I have no idea what they were out in the middle of the lake. Not once was I concerned that our San Juan was in any way not fully capable to handle it. Although I did find out that the Po put the cock pit drains together with silicone:@ Over the course of the night it amounted to about 20-25 L of water we pumped out so not too bad. That repair got bumped to the top of the list;-)
When I tell friends that story, they tell me I'm crazy, especially since I consider it such a fun night! I probably shouldn't repeat yours to them.
Long live San Juan's!!

Chris Mac
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 10:01   #5

They are great Boats I look forward to meeting you someday soon maybe in May I would sail to Vancouver it only 29nm north I have anchorage in front of the house and a Guest room It is kinda like staying in a bed and Breakfast place. Hold on to the Rudder and enjoy your Boat I have a friend selling his 21sj if you know anyone looking. keep the storys coming My wife and I sailed through the islands yesterday got some nice crab and always love the Beauty but you must have good sonar to read the currents through the area some go up ward of 5knts a real problem if you are going the other way Have fun Jack SV UsCa

Tags
san juan