Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 19:38   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Any reviews of Shannon 38?

I'm potentially interested in one but not real clear on the different iterations of Shannon 37 and 38 from the 1980s. How do these boats perform and how have they held up over time? Anyone have any knowledge or know if there is a review out there?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 20:13   #2

Boat: None
Re: Any reviews of Shannon 38?

Search on SA. Evans Starzinger did a very nice writeup on the one he and Beth Leonard circumnavigated in.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 20:16   #3

S/V Silk
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 06:50   #4

That is a good resource, thanks. Still not finding too much in terms of sailing characteristics or maintenance issues over the production run. Also, I gather that the difference between the 37 and 38 is centerboard vs. fixed keel, respectively? I guess I will call the builder and see what they have to say but it's rare to find so little online about what seems like a well respected cruiser.

Edit: I'm looking at a cutter not the ketch, and I'm particularly wondering how well the boat performs to weather with a decent amount of sail area and only 5' of draft.
Old 21-04-2016, 07:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Old, slow, small for size, lots of teak to maintain.
Old 21-04-2016, 07:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I know of one (that may soon be) for sale if you really must have. But it's a ketch.
Old 21-04-2016, 08:00   #7

Thumbs up Re: Any reviews of Shannon 38?

One of my early offshore deliveries was a Shannon 38, picking it up at the factory in the late 70's. As time went on I put over 50,000 miles down on Shannons from 38-50'. In all those miles, never once did I fear that the ship would let me down. They are built rock solid and will provide as comfortable a ride as might be available in the condition you are sailing in. If you are intent on racing around the buoys, this is not the boat for you. If you appreciate classic styling , this is a vessel that will put a smile on your face as you row away from her in the anchorage. Lots of teak ? Yes, but it can be manageable if you treat it right. Personally, I prefer ketch rigs, but nothing wrong with a cutter. When you call Shannon you will probably be surprised to find yourself actually speaking to the people who built her....Walt Schultz and Mark Perry.... try that with most of the other brands ! Pick up Ferenc Mate's book "World's Best Sailboats" for a great article on Shannon. Speed ? I counted on 130- 140 miles a day offshore. Did Miami to St. Thomas in 7 days, came back in 6 days in a pilothouse 38. I don't think there's another brand out there where you can find a support group as good as this one, comprised of the factory and Shannon owners you will find in harbors almost everywhere that you go.
Willy MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:17   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

We refit a 38 in Florida in the 90,s , they are really well built, top quality construction...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:39   #9

Thanks, I was starting to think the internet was running out of opinions! The Shannon is not a "must have" for me but anything that allows to expand my selection pool is useful and there are a few I can look at in my area. I'm guessing you would call some of the other boats on my list old and slow, anyway, like the Tayana 37 or Cabo Rico 38.

I'm not too keen on the ketch rig but haven't ruled it out completely. Definitely send the info my way if your friend is selling one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2016, 09:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy MC View Post
One of my early offshore deliveries was a Shannon 38, picking it up at the factory in the late 70's. As time went on I put over 50,000 miles down on Shannons from 38-50'. In all those miles, never once did I fear that the ship would let me down. They are built rock solid and will provide as comfortable a ride as might be available in the condition you are sailing in. If you are intent on racing around the buoys, this is not the boat for you.
Your perspective is very helpful, especially considering the huge amount of miles you logged on them. I love the 5 foot draft, but there aren't many other heavy cruisers with good offshore credentials and a draft this shallow. Did you feel like there were any obvious trade off for this?

Also, curious as to why you prefer a ketch to a cutter for a boat this size. Seems like more maintenance without much gain until you get well into the 40 foot range. But you've got a lot more experience than I do on both.

Thanks again!
Old 21-04-2016, 09:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
We refit a 38 in Florida in the 90,s , they are really well built, top quality construction...
Great, thanks for sharing. Do you remember if any major issues came up besides the usual suspects for a boat this age?
Old 21-04-2016, 09:58   #12

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Great, thanks for sharing. Do you remember if any major issues came up besides the usual suspects for a boat this age?
Not really, if i remember well they come with Navtec rod rigging, something to check carefully if is old, we just replace the engine for a yanmar, AC/DC Work,
plumbing, varnish job in the interior, as other poster mention they have lots of teak, etc.etc.. just the usual stuff to replace or redone in a old boat,,,, lots of beautiful bronze deck fittings, another thing to check could be the bowsprit,,
its a nice boat ,, very sturdy and strong.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:38   #13

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

sailboatdata.com gets some comparisons/pics

I like the 37, but I am partial to long fin keel/CB with separate skeg/rudder
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:33   #14

The Practical Sailor website has a quite detailed review of the Shannon 38s and 37s, and addresses some of the issues you ask about in terms of performance and maintenance issues for these boats. Most of the boat reviews require a PS subscription but I find it worthwhile for product evaluation not biased by advertising dollars.
PhillyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBill View Post
The Practical Sailor website has a quite detailed review of the Shannon 38s and 37s, and addresses some of the issues you ask about in terms of performance and maintenance issues for these boats. Most of the boat reviews require a PS subscription but I find it worthwhile for product evaluation not biased by advertising dollars.
Thanks, agreed!

Tags
reviews