Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2008, 14:00   #1

Any Opinions or First-Hand Knowledge on Hinckley 49' ?

... hello there - looking at the possibility of purchasing this ketch rigged vessel built in 1978. Would be moving two home-schooled kids and wife on board for live-aboard and cruising. Does anyone know anything more about the overall performance and safety of this Hinckley design? My wife likes a relatively stable platform, and though I am not looking for a speed demon (just sold our 42' custom built Bruce Roberts Spray), I'd like to average at least 6-7 knots under the right conditions without the engine on! Any thoughts on what I should watch out for with this vessel would be appreciated.
Michael Klautky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 14:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Well I think the waterline on those are generally pretty long near 40 ft so general speed should not be a problem with a decent sail plan. On paper it should be nice and well built with lots of details. The worst problems will be that 1978 is 30 years ago and some things may have problems to deal with. I would go over all electrical in detail as well as rigging. In the late 70's electrical standards were being born and so even well made may show signs of need and not reflect the power needs of more modern boats. Folks today expect more electricity than they used to. If the boat was updated over time there may be worts to unfix as I like to say.

The survey on this boat will tell most of the issues but the fundamentals should be great. You just need to prove them all. You can't win any ugly boat contests with this one. They still carry a hefty price tag, so weigh the alternatives closely. Perhaps a down market with cash to spend might get a little bit more off the price.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 21:02   #3

Have you actually been on the boat? Layout is pretty chopped up with the two cockpits but as always...it is a solid hull and you just need to pay attention to the things Paul mentioned in terms of whether others have done the upgrades or you will need to. I would also have the engine and tranny checked out by a separate diesel guy from your surveyor as I've seen quite a few older Hinckleys (including this model) with engine issues. She is certainly a safe boat with decent sailing performance and the centerboard mechanism is robust so you can get into some places other 49 footers can't and under the bridges of the US ICW if that is a consideration with the ketch rig. Obviously, the ketch rig keeps the size of the individual sails more manageable for a couple as well.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 10:29   #4

good boat

my wife and I own one and run a charter operation with her.

Pros:
The boat has been everything we expected. Solid, bulletproof, can handle any weather, easy to man with short crew, and comfortable. I love the draft, the layout, and particularly the spacious engine room. I like the sensible underbody which will hopefully forgive the inevitable grounding when it happens.

I think the boats are beautiful, but that is subjective. Chapman's piloting had one on their cover a few years back, so apparently they thought they were beautiful too.

Cons: They are slow. SA/Displacement is low, so it takes a lot of wind to get moving. For many people, this is frusterating. Not for me. If I wanted to go fast, I would fly.

Now in 25-30 knots of wind, they can really move. With current, we have been running up over 10 knots on occasion. With a lot of lighter built boats, you wouldn't want to put that much sail up in those conditions.

Systems will be old and will likely require updating.

The 2 cockpit layout is great for chartering, but maybe not the best for global cruising. A lot of space is used up by that aft cockpit. But it is nice for escaping from the kids for a while.
Victory49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 14:06   #5

Boat: Hinckley Pilot 35
We have a 5 y/o who will likely be home schooled. We now own, but do not live on, a 1968 Hinckley Pilot 35. We have been doing a complete refit of the boat since we bought her in Aug 2006. Almost all systems have to be replaced or referbished, however it is clear that despite the fact she was a fresh water boat for 85% of her 40+ years, almost nothing has been done since she was built. That is a testament to Hinckely, this boat was build like a rock. Ok so I am a Hinckley fan.

The H49 CC has a reputation for being slower than other Hinckleys - but she was built as a cruising boat not a race boat. That said, I have a friend who has a H-49 that will motor at 10 kts with the original Leaman 120hp.

In out mind, the H-49 is our next boat. It is affordable (for a Hinckley) and solid. Yes some of the Sou'westers are "prettier" but they arn't butt ugly.

In my opinion, a great boat. And a boat that will hold some value, particularly if restored and upgraded. Hey if you were going to restore a classic car, would you restore a Bentley or a Chevy Malabu?
Old 30-01-2010, 14:24   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
malibu--and ida kept the spray LOL>.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 14:36   #7

Boat: Hinckley Pilot 35
Malibu vs Bentley

To each his/hers own!
Old 13-07-2011, 21:26   #8

Old thread, but thought a pic of our 49 in marthas vineyard would be nice to add
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-842019314.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	29613  
Old 13-07-2011, 22:19   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Any Opinions or First-Hand Knowledge on Hinckley 49'?

lovely
Old 14-07-2011, 00:54   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
malibu--and ida kept the spray LOL>.....
Yea... what she said...me to..where would you get parts for a Bently?nice boat Ill have two please.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 00:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Oh I see pixeys from West Palm..Id take the Bently might fit in a little better. DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 04:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory49 View Post
Old thread, but thought a pic of our 49 in marthas vineyard would be nice to add
Center cockpit? Somehow, they look more "right" on a long waterline ketch. The rig breaks up the "wedding cake" look quite nicely.
Old 14-07-2011, 11:31   #13

Yes center cockpit, also has a little aft cockpit for fishing, getting away from the kids,( or spouse,) or smoking cigars if you like that!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46   #14

Boat: Hinckely, H-49

Old thread but thought I'd jump in here too! Hi Victory49!!!

I've been sailing Dream (the 3rd H-49 built) and living aboard on weekends since the end of April. Fantastic live aboard! As for being slow, in light winds we just motor sail her and she chugs right along.... guess that why they call em' a motorsailer! Love the sound of the Ford Lehman diesel. When the wind picks up she really shines and doesn't heal heavily so she's very comfortable to move about while underway.

Brought her up the ICW from the oldest city in the US with ease. Wonderful trip with spectacular scenery along the way. Did several overnight runs including two in the Atlantic which included a run from Norfolk to Manasquan inlet in 36 hours. Total travel time was 128 hours.

Love, love, love the interior layout. Aft cockpit is great for trolling, snoozin', cooking on the grill, or just gettin' away from the rest of the crew. Came with a god awful looking captain's chair in the center cockpit I was going to throw out until I sat in it. Can steer her with your toes while sippin' scotch and enjoying a nice stogie! Comfy too! For some reason there always seems to be a pitcher of Margarita's onboard! Life is good!

BTW, everyone wants to sit in the Captain's chair!

Can sail her easily with two.... but plenty of room for more! Usually have 6-8 onboard. Makes a great fishin' boat too! Caught 75 fluke two weeks ago during three drifts in Raritan Bay! Only sailboat amongst 75 fishin' boats. Don't think they had ice cold pitchers along with filets on their grills

Ketch rigs (Catch) were originally designed as a fishing boat... I'm guessin' they still work that way!

Plannin' my trip back south for the winter and then across the Gulf Stream to Bimini to see what Hemingway found so intriguing about those little two islands..... thinking he was the fishy type too!
Il Pescatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 22:33   #15

Hi!

There's a lot to love about the H49's!