Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2005, 03:04   #1

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Any Info about 1980 Ta Chiao CT 41?

Any Info about 1980 Ta Chiao CT 41?

divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:19   #2
Kai Nui

Good hull. Good design. Very seakindly, and sails well on a reach. Poor interior layout if you are tall. 80's boat, check for blisters.
Does that help?

Old 07-09-2005, 14:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I tried to make a delivery on an early CT41. Don't have anything good to say about the boat except the interior wood work looked nice, at first glance.

The boat was a pig to sail. Took a lot of canvas to make it move, at all, in light air. Will surf backwards when trying to go to weather in 6' waves and light air. When the wind piped up above 15 knots, would move but still slowly. I've literally sailed rings around one in my Westsail 32.

Construction, other than the hull reflected the complete lack of knowledge of the sea of those that actually worked on the boat. Most have had their cabins replaced because of rot. A lot of the boats were built without any caulk. Even with caulk, they tended to be leakers.

Be sure the standing rigging has been replaced. The original asian swages, wire, chainplates and turnbuckles were crap. This has probably been done as the original tended to fail in a few years.

The hulls tended to be sound and quite thick. That's about the only good thing I can say about the design.

FWIW, my experience on the construction of these boats was with the early boats. Construction quality and control may have improved with later boats. Still have seen a lot of these boats with rot in the cabin sides.

Peter O.
roverhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
These boats are notorious.....

They are miserably slow and poor sailors across the board. In light to moderately light winds (less than 12 knots) they require a huge sail plan and with their high wetted surface, high weight and inefficient keel and sail plan they are next to useless as sailboats. In higher winds, their high drag requires carrying more sail area than is ideal for easy handling. Their low ballast ratio, low density ballast, high vertical center of gravity, and means that they lack stability relative to their sail area making tender in higher winds.

Although they tend to roll at a pretty slow rate they are miserable rollers and so I would never say that they are seakindly.

Build quality on these boats are notorious as well. I followed a fellow who was restoring one of these turkeys and there was almost nothing that was done well. By the way, while the hulls were quite thick but the glass work was very crudely done. I would be suspect of its strength relative to the huge loads involved with a boat this heavy.

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:00   #5

Boat: custom 65 steel
Thumbs up

from a CT 41 owner, with 25 knts of wind, a 120 jib and a reefed main she does 7 to 8 knts with a max of 8.4 by the Autohelm meter and 6.8 to 7.6 knts with a max of 8.1 by the Garmin GPS off the wind. In the wind 6.3 to 6.5 knts but does not piont very high, no round the bouys racing for the old gal. There is no missen as I took the boom off because I kept bumping my head.......... seems Pavlov's pup was smarter than this old sailor. With 10 to 12 knts of wind she was never under 5knts and with a gost of a wind I bring out the big, thick cockpit cusions, poor a tall gin and tonic with a wedge of lemon and enjoy the sun because she ain't goooin anywere.
On the construction side roverhi is right about the decks and doghouse, if they have not been redone already this drastically afects the price of the boat. A freind had a Choy-lee 38 done in an Ensenada boat yard, decks, doghouse, painted the topsides and refinished all the exterior wodd for 30k, a beautifull job. (in 2000)
What I was looking for when the boat was purchesed was a sound-solid hull, a good engine, lots of room and aluminum masts. Every other thing on the boat is being replaced, from the rudder, rigging, electrical and plumbing.
I hope this has helped you a bit, in my humble op. if you are looking at early 80's of late 70's boats, a cruiser and your a very handy guy (as you need to be with any boat of this era) take a second look at these solid Taiwanese "turkeys"

Wheels, does a poet in New Zealand write inverse?
Ctrich is offline   Reply With Quote

ct 41, ta chiao

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: