Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2007, 07:49   #1

any help appreaciated

Well my wife and I are visiting the inlaws for new years in florida, so If anybody knows of a really great cruising boat for sale I should look at I would love the suggestions.
40-45ft
under 125000, cheaper the better
I want a boat that has a rep for being a proven circumnavigator and a good sailing boat. I like the center cockpit but s=doesnt need to be. will be taking through the ditch up to canada and eventually to new zealand.
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 08:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I want a boat that has a rep for being a proven circumnavigate and a good sailing boat.
You may want join another thread just started. The two of you are looking in the same direction and have common questions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eet-11740.html

Just to start with your budget is a bit tight for circumnavigation. There are other options of staying in the current hemisphere and you'll save a lot of money coastal cruising. It's not like you will run out of shoreline or places to go.

You can purchase a used boat in that price range but it will need more work and probably all new emergency gear (EPIRB, life raft, etc. ...) plus other things to head out on a circumnavigation. Going smaller might also help the budget work. There is a seriously large amount of material you need to learn about as well. That part can and should be fun too. Making the whole experience as fun as possible should be the number 1 goal.

Making the money work is probably the harder part of your goal here. Trying to pick the boat as the first task might be a mistake. Getting some experience with chartering might save you even more money. You'll gain some experience and really feel what it's like before you spend your own money. You are finding what is just right for you not what may be right for someone else. There is a wide range of how people cruise and many of the ways you would not enjoy even though many others might. Until you get on board for a bit you can't know what fits you and your goals the best. You want the best you can get on the terms that work.

A boats reputation won't matter as much as your experience and what you really want and expect. Trying before you buy goes a very long way toward meeting both those criteria. Take a crewed charter vacation instead of a trip to Florida this year and just get out there and see how it works. It will answer more questions than reading the wealth of things we have here. Get out there on a boat any way you can as you study up on all the other things you will of course need to learn. Save time by doing these things before you buy a boat.

Quote:
cheaper the better
Consider the implications of any decision. My primary advice - Make the Admiral happy with the choice!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 08:19   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
This one is a little more in price than what you posted. 2001 Catalina 400 Finance Available

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 22:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have you searched through YachtWorld? ...they seem to be the largest for yacht listings.

Advanced search for new and used boats and yachts. - YachtWorld.com

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 07:27   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Link to the Worldcruisers website, see boats for sale:
http://www.westsail.com/
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote