Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 10:25   #1

Any Hanse Owner around?

I am seriously considering a brand new Hanse 548. I have found information on previous models, there are comments about the low quality construction on older models, but has not found anything related to the XX8 series (458, 508, 548, 588)
Anyone with experience on this brand?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tribusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 04:23   #2

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
Re: Any Hanse Owner around?

I have a Hanse 575 we built new a year or so ago. Asking about construction quality in a sailboat is like asking about anchors. Be prepared for lots of opinions, most of which are people justifying what they have or have decided to keep. Make up your own mind.

I found the fit and finish on the 575 pretty good, with only a few places that I wish things had been done differently. Most are easy enough to deal with and have to do with the choice of part or adding something more than what they did at the factory. Send me a private message and I'll give you more details.

My prior boat was a Hylas 49 we built new in 2007. A true ocean crossing boat rated in the top 10 by most sources. While the Hanse is more "production" than "hand made" like the Hylas, the quality of the construction is fine, and in spots better than the Hylas. The Hylas had "art" going for it. A truly custom boat, with spectacular wood finishes and as hand crafted look that I just couldn't justify the extra $1M for when we wanted something larger.

FWIW
S/V Black Diamond - Hanse 575 #161
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote