Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 09:44   #16

Boat: 20' Montego
Check Craigs List in various states on the eastern seaboard. There are several interesting boats. How about a Miura 31, a true off shore South African built boat for sale just north of Charleston for $4,500. It was for sale for $25,000 a couple years ago. If age and health weren't a factor I'd be driving from VA to SC to check that one out.There are many possibly true boat bargains on the east coast. Remember, even free boats may not be a bargain.
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:06   #17

I have a coronado 35. Its a great liveaboard and absolutely huge below. Same yanmar in mine and it has plenty of power.
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19   #18

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
There are lots of low budget boats on the market in Florida. Save the money you would spend to ship a boat from California to Florida and apply it to the future purchase. I think you will find shipping a boat coast to coast will be cost prohibitive for low budget boats.
Great idea! That said, I used to hop with a CG Warrant back in the 70's whose Seattle house was a Buccaneer 30, he loved it. Said it wasn't that bad of sailer. The accomadation if not soaked to mush, is quite comfortable. But I'm sure there are a lot of Florida boats for $10000.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Berg,
on your budget, you'll need to see about 20 different boats, ignore colors and some smells. To get the most bang for your buck, you'll need to accept a boat that's either dirty and smelly with good sails/engine/rigging, or a boat that's clean but worn out in other respects. Pick your poision.
It cost us 3k to have ours moved from Tampa to Houston. It's not worth your trouble to move one from west coast to east coast. There are literaly thousands of viable boats in florida. We looked at a morgan 31 a few years ago that was clean and simple, asking price was 24k we could have picked it up for around 12-15k.......if you really don't want to be in San Diego, don't think about buying there and trucking.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote