Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 20:46   #1

Boat: Bonito Aquarius 22
Antifoul on trailer sailer

Hi, I'm looking at buying a trailer sailer. The concern is that it's been moored in the past and antifoul applied to hull bottom. Is that a problem? Can I just leave it as is, or do I have to keep reapplying? Or should I remove it all? Then what? Repaint?
Or should I say "no thanks" and look for another trailer sailer?
Thanks

amoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 21:19   #2

Boat: Hunter 260
Re: Antifoul on trailer sailer

You're fine.

Is your launch deep enough to float the vessel off the trailer or do you need to slide/roll is off. If you can float off then there is no problem, I did so with my H260 many many times. Sliding my rub off some of the anti-fouling but you wont actually hurt anything.

Of course over time you will need to reapply, assuming you want to keep using the anti-fouling.

Old 19-11-2019, 22:32   #3

Boat: Bonito Aquarius 22

I'd rather not reapply and wont in the water more yhan couple of days at a time. Is there any harm in just leaving it?
amoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 23:16   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

It will not hurt the boat leaving the old antifoul on. It just looks terrible after a while. I have seen them painted below the waterline with two pack paint but it is a heck of a job removing all the old paint first.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 12:03   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret View Post
Hi, I'm looking at buying a trailer sailer. The concern is that it's been moored in the past and antifoul applied to hull bottom. Is that a problem? Can I just leave it as is, or do I have to keep reapplying? Or should I remove it all? Then what? Repaint?
Thanks
Don't worry about it. If it begins to peel, pressure wash it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 12:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Know that unless the hull is painted with an ablative paint, the existing paint will likely be rendered inert by prolonged exposure to air.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 13:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searching for our Catamaran

I would choose one of two options (Iíve used both):

1. Sand it all off, clean, touch up, wax and use no Bottom paint. Haul ever day or couple of days.

2. Sand it off, put on ablative paint and wipe/wash it every few days
Old 20-11-2019, 14:22   #8

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Our trailer-sailor is at a slip in-freshwater most of the season, so I apply VC17 antifouling every spring. We trailer it somewhere once or twice a season; the trailer rollers might make a bare spot or two.

If you're only in the water a few days at a time, then a good clean finish plus wax should be fine, as suggested above.

When we first got the boat I stripped the bottom. Not a nice job, but not the worst either. The best thing I used was soy-based stripper - no fumes, not toxic or caustic, water-soluble. You paint it on in the late afternoon, let it sit overnight, then scrape off what you can, and finish with a power-washer or scrubbing while you spray with a hose. Some areas might take 2 or 3 passes. Take normal precautions with what you scrape/rinse off, cos that's toxic.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 16:11   #9

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , MacGregor 26 centerboard , Catalina 14.2

In my area I'd consider the paint a plus. Unpainted boats here get cosiderable growth in 7-14 summer days. Some of our trips are as long.
I'd leave the paint and splash on some fresh cheap when it became unsightly. Unless you're a racer it shouldn't hurt your speed much.

Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:19   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret View Post
Thanks
We had the same issue with our Bonito 22. Ours was generally kept in the water, but spent some time on the trailer, and after a few weeks dried out and started to crack and flake off. The solution was Coppercoat - rock hard two-pack epoxy with metallic copper powder in it. works very well as an antifouling and also impervious to abrasion and drying out - 10 years plus in or out of the water. ended up putting it on our keel boat too.

You will have to remove the old antifouling paint at some stage whatever you do. Perhaps that is a negotiation point/ Sodium hydroxide-based stripper works very well at doing that and does not affect your gelcoat.
David B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:23   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
It will not hurt the boat leaving the old antifoul on. It just looks terrible after a while. I have seen them painted below the waterline with two pack paint but it is a heck of a job removing all the old paint first.
Cheers
Can be - we had ours soda blasted, but there is a very effective product from Peter G - 'Stripper for Antifoul'. works a treat. Broom it on in the afternoon, and pressure wash off in the morning.
David B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 21:19   #12

The bigger issue might be what's under the anti fouling. If it has been on a mooring before, then it has the risk of water into the GRP & blisters if the gel coat is cracked anywhere. The anti-foul will hide this. If the boat looks in good everywhere else then you may be OK. Normal ablative antifoul does not like to be out of the water and if you reapply it prefers to go into the water again otherwise it will dry out and look terrible. My TY had all of these issues but it was a big boat at a good price and the rest of the hassles was worth the price and what I ended up with. I sanded back old antifoul and top layers of glass, as gel coat had already been removed by someone once before. I ground out many blisters then sealed with several layers of epoxy. I then had to finish coat it so I used Pettit Marine Vivid Antifoul, available here in OZ & I suspect would be in NZ too. It is designed to dry and cure hard but still has a degree of ablative anti foul properties. So far after 2 years on it is still good. I wanted a surface that would allow me to leave it in the water for a few months to go cruising then still be OK out and onto the trailer. Due for a recoat soon as its starting to look poor.
ScottAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:56   #13

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Great info ScottAus.

(and welcome to CF! )
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 15:36   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

The more I think about this the more I realise we have missed the big issue of the swing keel. Having been moored, does the swing keel still swing? I would be taking the boat to a travel lift and getting them to lift it so I can see the swing keel condition and in action.
David B is dead on the money with copper coat, hard finish and looks ok. Why have I never thought of that?
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, trailer