Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2005, 07:48   #1

Another which boat quetion?

I'm looking at some classic plastic boats in the 32-36 foot range. I will mainly be using the boat for daysails, weekend overnights and 1-2 week cruises. I am based in western Long Island Sound and will be sailing from there up to Cape Cod and the islands. Hoping to go on longer voayges in a few years...

Here's what I'm looking at now.

Ranger 33 - A nice boat and I would probably get involved in local racing with this one. I find the cabin a bit cramped though, especially the galley and the nav station/quarter berth. I'm looking at 2 of these and both have universal deisels shoehorned in where the A-4 was. Anyone know anything about noise and vibration from these?

Cal 34 - I don't know much about these, but I like the way the head is laid out and I think I like the rest of the cabin layout too. The galley is stretched out along the starboard side of the cabin where a sette would be in most boats. There is no nav. satation but the rest of the cabin seems so livable that I think I could do without. The engine is reverse mounted with a sail drive. Any thoughts on that?

Also thinking about Ericson 32 or preferably Ericson 35.

I ruled out the Pearson 10 Meter because I don't like some things about the cabin and I want a boat with a wheel towards the back of the cockpit. (10m's wheels are in the front.)

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks.
alstki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 10:55   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Don't know much about the above boats, but I can recommend the CSY 33.

They are roomy and comfortable and not terrible expensive.

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...er=308&cat=500
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 10:59   #3
Kai Nui

And I can recommend the Challenger 35.
I will say the Cal 34 is a decent mid range cruiser, but have not owned one, so my opinion is based on reports from friends who have them. Personaly I am not fond of sail drives, but you may find thatsome Cal 34s ore set up differently.
Old 17-09-2005, 12:29   #4

Boat: currently "on the beach"
you didn't mention age or budget but it sounds like 25 to 40k. old ericson would not be my pick. i agree with the pearson 10, but pearson has lots of boats in this price range with traditional helm location. they built more boats so odds are better you can find a good one with an anxious seller. if it surveys well, i don't think you could get hurt.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 15:22   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
altski:

The Ranger was designed and built in Southern California and, as such, was intended for the light winds beer can and club racing that was prevalent in its heyday. It should suit your LI setting well altho' you'd want to insure the headsail (roller reefing or, given your racing thoughts, perhaps a reefable hanked on genoa) and mainsail will reef easily if you sail up into New England. Rangers never distinguished themselves especially re: build quality, sailing ability and/or all-round sailboats; they were somewhat in the middle of the (SoCal) pack. That doesn't mean they are unworthy given your limited plans, and I know a few SoCal sailors who really enjoyed their 33's and sailed them very well.

The Cal 34 went thru 3 iterations and so the later models were identified as Cal 34-II and -III. It's quite an adaptable boat and one of the early clones (in hull form) built by Jensen Marine, later Cal boats, based on the Cal 40. The -II and -III models intro'd a diesel engine and, in the -III, a more functional cruising layout. The boats have been sailed short-handed down into the Pacific and they are a popular SoCal 'all hands, all things' choice for those on a budget. One fellow I know sailed his down to Mexico (from Santa Barbara) for a season, slogged his way back North, and the only gripe he had was about the little Honda generator that stopped working. They are light, active in a seaway, sail nicely (the original 34 came with a tiller, which I've found preferable to the wheel on that boat) and, due to their age, need a careful, thorough survey.

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 19:48   #6

Thanks for the advice. My budget,as you can tell by the age of the boats I'm looking at, is around 25K.

The Ranger 33 always did, in it's day, and still does well in local club races. The sailing here in Long Island Sound and nearby is actually very similar wind-wise to SoCal. (I lived in and sailed out of Newport beach for several years in the laste 70's-early 80's.

I just got serious about my boat search a few weeks ago and I want to buy something tis fall or winter. I don't mind some work, but I also want to be in the water and sailing next season.

Keep the advice coming.
Old 17-09-2005, 22:24   #7
Kai Nui

A bit smaller than you mentioned, but have you considered the Catalina 30? Lots of room below, fairly fast, and lots of money left over for equipment. The Ranger is sleeker outside, the Cal is cheaper built (my opinion), and the Catalinas are available everywhere. Although Catalina makes a 34, I am not as impressed with this boat as I am with the 30. At least not for the price difference.
Old 18-09-2005, 04:38   #8

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
bigger is better

The Catalina 30 does not sail as well as the Catalina 34 and the accomodations are considerable less acceptable.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 05:12   #9

We had a Pearson 30 in the '70s and always envied the roominess of the Catalina 30. I was considering looking at them, but when I mentioned it my sister had this to say, "Are you looking for a boat or an RV?"

I also lookes at an Oday 30 but am really looking for something just a bit bigger.
Old 18-09-2005, 07:05   #10

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Boat

I recall that Jeff H suggested the Cal 36 as being a good boat. Also on the list if I remember correctly was a Chris Craft Apache 37. I found a couple of these on www.yachtworld.com
They are an older S&S design and look like nice deep sea boats. Hopefully Jeff can offer some input as to the build quality and sailing ability of these boats. On the West Coast the Cascade 36 is available from Cascade in Portland Oregon. Again an older but proven boat.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 11:43   #11

Boat: currently "on the beach"
http://www.phrfne.org will give you info on how well a specific boat could sail. since you are on a tight budget, i suggest you save some $ for sails. while we have a 31 footer w/ lwl of 24'9", we seem to point higher and go faster than plenty of 35 footers. previous owner was nice enough to buy new and well cut sails. last winter i sailed a pearson 36 in the islands. boat wouldn't go upwind. sails were dead. that boat can go, if she had sails.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 12:50   #12
Kai Nui

Jim, it is true that the Catalina 30 does not sail as well as the 34, or have as nice accomodations, but at thrice the price, the 30 is more bang for the buck.
altski, I understand the RV comment, but I still think, in the price range you are looking, and for the use you are suggesting it would be a good choice.
That being said, as I have said before on this forum, a boat is a very personal thing, and only you can decided what works for you.
Old 18-09-2005, 16:32   #13

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
boat selection

You asked for opinions and you got them. I have sailed the Ericson 35 and a Cal 34. I owned a Ranger 23 for many years. I think the finish work was better on the Ranger than the Cals although they were often produced in the same yard. All these boats are production yachts and both the Ranger 33 and the Cal 34 have their supporters. I delivered an Ericson 35 from San Diego to San Francisco (400 mils) and while I liked a lot about the boat, the standard rudder is way too small or badly positioned for coastal cruising. If you are sailing Long Island Sound, maybe it does not matter.The others are fine sailors (am not much a fan some of the Catalinas as I have no idea who designed their flat bottoms that pound going to weather. I would make the decision on what boats are actually available--and their condition and the condition of the engine.

FWIW
Ray Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 17:02   #14

Thanks,

I am factoring in engine and sails into my budget. I've looked at a few in the 15K range figuring to sink at least 10 into an engine and sails right off the bat. Most of what I'm looking at is in the 17-22K range, and many have newer engines and halfway decent sails as well.
Old 19-09-2005, 06:26   #15
O25

boat

Have you thought about a Tartan 30? You can get a decent one for $15K, or a really tricked out boat for $25K. There are plenty to choose from. They're reasonably fast, especially the competition model.
O25 is offline   Reply With Quote