Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2008, 17:59   #1

Boat: Looking for 37-47 Cruiser
Another "What is a good cruising Sailboat"

Hello everyone, I have just joined Cruisers Forum today, having picked up the "What is a good cruising Sailboat" thread on Google.

I have the same question, but perhaps have a little more detail.

I have a fairly varied small sail boat experience, mostly on the Chesapeake. I have some more recent larger boat experience In British Columbia on a (gulp power boat) so, I have some familiarity with larger boat systems.

Ultimately, I would like to do some passage making in blue water, say to New Caledonia on my way to New Zealand on my way to Australia. Possibly a trip to the Mediterranean . I know I have a great deal to learn; I was thinking about live aboard coastal crusing and the Caribbean for the first two years of what I expect to be a 5 year odyessy.

I am pretty mechanical and can be a mechanic, carpenter, electrician, rigger, plumber, sailmaker, and more? (sailmaker would require a bunch of learning, but I do have a needle and palm).

My requirements are:

Sloop or Cutter rigged.
$300,000 or less.
Diesel (no atomic 4's - could refit...)

What I think my desires are:
37-47 ft LOA
Aft Cockpit
Not a Salon Cabin (just my preference)

I was first intriged by an Island Packet 42. Everyone I talked to was complimentary of the quality of the boat, but many made coments about the speed. Also this is a little pricy.

I sailed an Atlantic 47 in Greece for a week last year and came to love the twin steering stations.

I became very interested in Catalina 470. With the fin keel and short mast options, I could use it on the ICW and in the Carrbbean. Price is within limits. Fast sleek and sexy, but I wonder about seaworthiness in true blue water conditions.

At the other end of the spectrum, a Tayana 37 would appear to be a very sturdy sort of boat the could do the type of things I want to do. The price is great, but the lines are not too modern...

A Hunter 40.5???

As you can see, I have a bewildering array of possibilities and lack the experience to make good judgements.

In the near term, I am trying to narrow my field to 4 to 6 candidate boats, so I can begin researching and shopping in earnest.

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

DesertGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 16:58   #2

If your talking that kind of funds, I'd be looking at a Hinkely 40.
Older is good.

John McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME Aboard !!!

Originally Posted by DesertGypsy
I am pretty mechanical and can be a mechanic, carpenter, electrician, rigger, plumber, sailmaker, and more? (sailmaker would require a bunch of learning, but I do have a needle and palm).
I have both a scalpel, and a paint brush; but it would require a lot more than “a bunch of learning” for me to become a surgeon or an artist.

Don’t let the curmudgeons (like me) dampen your confidence and enthusiasm.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've found the cutter rig to be ideal for both offshore passagemaking and for cruising amongst the islands of the eastern Caribbean. It offers a lot of flexibility in sail plan for any conditions that you encounter. And I like my full-keel, heavy displacement boat--tracks well and doesn't slam coming off waves. When the wind is up, we sail at or near hull speed, dry and comfortable (15 degrees of heel is optimum). In light air, I have a cruising spinnaker to keep us moving along. If all else fails, the 56 hp Yanmar does the job nicely.
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 17:08   #5

Plenty of boats meet the needs you've described, and with a will and sweat equity you can get just about anywhere.

I usually suggest you look at something smaller than your dream boat, and don't be too concerned about speed. Before you go looking, decide who is going to be with you. A 40 footer sounds trés fab, but it's usually easier to single-hand a 33 footer and your budget might let you buy a new Tartan 3400 with cash - and it's already set up for short-handed work. (That's just an example - many people prefer buying used to avoid depreciation and 'cuz a used boat might just come with most of the extra gear you'll need to purchase anyway.)

Don't worry over-much about rigs, keel arrangements, etc. If you look in foreign ports you will find they all seem to manage to get there; a skipper who knows the strengths and weaknesses of the boat they have can cruise in comfort and safety. Work with rigs you like and understand.

Hope to see you out there somewhere (like back in BC waters, which is where I'm at.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 17:21   #6

For 300,000 my boat of choice would be a used Leopard 47.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 09:07   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Siling Directions/Pilots

Hi Folks,
Planning cruiing the Caribbean Nov 2008 on. Have copy of US sailing directions/pilots but some feel British Admirialty Pilots are better. They are however $100 each and the area needs Vol 1&2. Worth the $200 price??? Thanks Russ Davignon S/V ASCENSION 44' Ted Brewer Cutter
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:42   #8

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Just read the review for the Tartan 4300 in Blue Water Sailing and I had to go and lie down. I do believe that I've fallen in love.

Check it out...

Tartan Yachts Model - Model Overview
Dave the Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Desert,
Of the boats you mentioned the Tayana 37 is a good one but in your price range you could afford much more size. In my point of view that's not necessarily good. My ideal boat is from 32 to 36 LOD.
Your question is kind of like "What's a good family car?" Some would say a Kia and some would say Bentley.
Kind regards,
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 14:52   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You can spend your wad on the boat, or be frugal, and have mountains of money in the bank. At least you have the options........BEST WISHES in finding the right boat for you!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54   #11

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
As said by me many times before.. Buy the biggest boat you can get for the best price.
Space pays and so does a comfortable living area as well as seaworthyness.

Good Luck!!!
Alondra Sailing || Sailing in Style

Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: