Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05   #1
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Another Hunter Rudder!

I don't know this person but he has a slip near a friend of mine. My friend says this Hunter ran aground and the rudder was broken while pulling him off.

That'e just how I lost my first rudder, although it turned out that that rudder was already severely compromised. I was actually lucky that it happened under tow, even though it was a very badly done tow.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

the problem lies in the pulling off from a shoal.

with spade rudders you cannot do that and keep the rudder intact. doesnt matter if boat is a catalina, hunter, seidelmann, cal or what kind--pull it off a shoal you will hurt the rudder unless you are very very careful.
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22   #3
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

The same thing recently happened to us after going aground.

I guess that puts our Alden in the same category.
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Like I said, that's five Hunters with banged up or lost rudders I've heard of in one year.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07   #5
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My friend says this Hunter ran aground and the rudder was broken while pulling him off.
That statement isn't really correct. The Hunter didn't run aground, the owner ran thier Hunter aground!

BTW that rudder was probably built by Foss Foam and just happened to be on a Hunter.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30   #6
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
That statement isn't really correct. The Hunter didn't run aground, the owner ran thier Hunter aground!

BTW that rudder was probably built by Foss Foam and just happened to be on a Hunter.

Been to Foss Foam's mfg site and had all the processes explained to me. Foss Foam makes the rudders Hunter wants. They don't come up with the design. They fulfill it.

At the end of the discussion, the Hunter was aground and the rudder broke while being pulled off. For me, that's SIX hunter rudders I've heard of. There are an awful lot of Catalinas around here, and Ihaven't heard of it happening once to a Catalina (doesn't mean it doesn't happen; just saying that I know way more Catalina owners than Hunter owners and have never heard of it on a Catalina.

All skeg rudders are exposed, no doubt about it, but I think there's more than that in play here.

I think it would take a naval architect to figure out why Hunters are especially vulnerable, but from what I see around me, they are.

I didn't set a record for buying rudders from Foss Foam. The record belongs to a boat owner who bought THREE for the same boat in one year.
I'm only in second place.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Rakuflames, have you noticed a manufacture year range of these rudder issues?
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 691
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

maybe hunter owners are more prone to running aground and the rudder is not the problem
__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43   #9
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Another internet expert citing second hand information.

I always wondered how these experts never seem to have real first-hand knowledge.


I am tempted to get into a debate with this guy as to how cheaply made my rudder must be so as to allow the same problem to have occurred but why bother...
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53   #10
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't know this person but he has a slip near a friend of mine. My friend says this Hunter ran aground and the rudder was broken while pulling him off.

That's just how I lost my first rudder, although it turned out that that rudder was already severely compromised. I was actually lucky that it happened under tow, even though it was a very badly done tow.
I am having a tough time grasping how this has anything at all to do with Hunter's....?

Heck a big 70' Hylas just hit a ledge here in Maine and lost her entire spar. Does that make the Hylas less of a boat. Hit bottom and lots of things can happen even to very, very well built boats.

There was a Hunter here in Maine that hit TREMENDOUSLY hard and took a football sized dent out of the keel lead. The boat survived just fine, did not sink, did not take on any water and when the keel was dropped there was nearly 1.5" of sold fiberglass in the keel stub. This was a much thicker layup than I would have imagined for a 34' Hunter... The rudder was scratched up but otherwise fine.

How would other brands survive this.....?? This is one of the hardest hits I have seen. Solid granite at full bore..... The Hunter survived to sail another day...


Heck the last Island Packet I saw that hit bottom lost an entire season because the encapsulated keel was still draining water out of the encapsulation/cement for two+ months....... Does that make it bad boat..?
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,931
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

When your Hunters rudder falls off when sailing, its sort of interesting but if it breaks or falls off after grounding its in the "yawn" dept.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58   #12
Marine Service Provider
 
Maine Sail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Posts: 3,060
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Another internet expert citing second hand information.

I always wondered how these experts never seem to have real first-hand knowledge.


I am tempted to get into a debate with this guy as to how cheaply made my rudder must be so as to allow the same problem to have occurred but why bother...
In find it interesting that the OP actually owns a Hunter......... Perhaps the OP concerned in a trend she feels she see's.....???
__________________
Marine How To Articles
Maine Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00   #13
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Heck any spade rudder in rocks is at risk of break off no matter if is a hunter or a swan.... more prone this silly designs with the rudder deeper than the keel...
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I am having a tough time grasping how this has anything at all to do with Hunter's....?

Heck a big 70' Hylas just hit a ledge here in Maine and lost her entire spar. Does that make the Hylas less of a boat. Hit bottom and lots of things can happen even to very, very well built boats.

There was a Hunter here in Maine that hit TREMENDOUSLY hard and took a football sized dent out of the keel lead. The boat survived just fine, did not sink, did not take on any water and when the keel was dropped there was nearly 1.5" of sold fiberglass in the keel stub. This was a much thicker layup than I would have imagined for a 34' Hunter... The rudder was scratched up but otherwise fine.

How would other brands survive this.....?? This is one of the hardest hits I have seen. Solid granite at full bore..... The Hunter survived to sail another day...


Heck the last Island Packet I saw that hit bottom lost an entire season because the encapsulated keel was still draining water out of the encapsulation/cement for two+ months....... Does that make it bad boat..?

No one is saying Hunter is a bad boat. I lost TWO rudders and I'm not saying that. The first one was severely compromised and I was lucky it went when it did. In the second incident, the rudder absorbed all of the impact and the boat itself wasn't damaged.

They are both what I call "good outcomes" although in the second incident I learned some important things about sailing my boat.

This boat was built in 1983 and doesn't have a single leak. Not anywhere. How many boats that old can say that? I take it as a sign of a well-built boat.

I think the rudder may have been designed to "take one for the gipper" as they say. Better the rudder than the hull.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06   #15
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: ANOTHER Hunter rudder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
In find it interesting that the OP actually owns a Hunter......... Perhaps the OP concerned in a trend she feels she see's.....???

YES I see a trend, given that there are 3-4 Catalinas around here for every Hunter.

I don't understand why someone comments on a thread he or she finds so boring.

Saw the post about the missing chunk from the keel. I'm beginning to think I bought a stout little boat.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter, rudder

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless Rudder Stock Needs Replacing In Foam Core Rudder? dennisail Construction, Maintenance & Refit 35 07-09-2016 17:55
Comments on Hunter 42 passage, Hunter 45, hunter 45 cc, hunter 49 and 50 chucklet321 Monohull Sailboats 3 07-10-2012 14:19
Hunter 32 rudder srushton Monohull Sailboats 2 31-05-2011 11:46
Need advice! Rudder Post / Rudder Pin Questions synchronicity98 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 11-04-2011 09:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.