Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 10:40   #46

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Another first boat question. Refreshments and hors d'oeuvres inside

I learned on a dinghy and learned a awful lot. If you can set the sails on a dinghy you can do it on a larger boat. I always worried about tipping the boat over as there is no weighted keel to keep you upright, you just have to jump from one side of the boat to the other when you come about. If you do an accidental jibe, it's usually in the water for you. If you buy a dinghy, tip it over intentionally so you can practice getting it upright. Get a two person sailboat like a FJ, I think I would need help with my 18 foot O'Day to get it right side up. You cannot leave a center board dinghy in a slip, but put it on its trailer and park it especially if you do not have to take the mast down. just store it at the marina on the dirt. It's cheaper and safer for the sailboat.

Check out the 18' Cape Dory Typhoon. It has a keel, but is small enough that if you make a change to rudder or sails, you immediately notice it, and you are not going to tip it over. You could keep it in a slip.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:57   #47

Hi Crazy,
Like you I want to learn more about sailing and then buy a bigger boat for my retirement plans. I bought a Schock Santana 1968 with a trailer for $1000. What a steal, now that I have put $2000 into restoring it. I have been teaching myself along with my kids on a lake in Colorado. I know I will not make a penny on selling it, but using it to learn has been fantastic. I have a few more years of teaching myself before heading south to warmer climates, but I have found it to be a great boat to learn on.
Good luck on your process.
MartinAither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:05   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Crazy Talk, once you mentioned that your wife would have to like it, for me the whole picture changed. Now, what I think is that if you want her to be part of this, first off, you'll want to involve her in the whole process from the very beginning. Based on years of experience, I would say that women who enjoy out of doors, physical sports are the ones who take most easily to sailing, and if it's just the two of you, my thought is that you learn on something like a Catalina 22. It will be fun, and more suited to your ages than a tiny racing dinghy, unless you really love swimming, too. It is what my husband, Jim learned on, with his first wife, although he had a smaller boat before that. They not only sailed, but raced and weekended on it It would be the learner boat, for sure, and possibly not the platform for learning about keel boats that you had in mind, but, it would firm up for her what her bottom line in amenities is, and that is good to know, and may make things easier on the pocketbook later on.

If you start with the Catalina 30, it will set the minimum amenities bar much higher, and will inform all future choices.

The most important part of this message is that you have to help her make it fun for her if you want her to go with you. It does not feel like fun to most women to have to take care of their menfolk in cramped quarters that are sometimes leaping about. She will need to have a source of pleasure of her own to keep her involved. What will help is you helping with the domestic chores, and allowing her equal access to all the boat processes.

I suggest separate sailing lessons from a local yacht club, her being taught by female instructors, for building her confidence. She will want to become a good sailor, and to not feel inferior to you. You need the skills, too.

If she is not outdoorsy, you'll be talking to some of the guys here who have wives who are pretty much non participants, and they know more about those kinds of women than I do.

You really could start with any trailer sailer for this plan.

Ann
Old 29-11-2016, 12:22   #49

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Crazy Talk, once you mentioned that your wife would have to like it, for me the whole picture changed. Now, what I think is that if you want her to be part of this, first off, you'll want to involve her in the whole process from the very beginning. Based on years of experience, I would say that women who enjoy out of doors, physical sports are the ones who take most easily to sailing, and if it's just the two of you, my thought is that you learn on something like a Catalina 22. It will be fun, and more suited to your ages than a tiny racing dinghy, unless you really love swimming, too.
I have found that if you want your wife...or ANY female to sail with you, you had better have a pretty nice head with some privacy. Personally, I like to remove anything unnecessary on my boat...like the head door and the vee door...those things bang around when the waves get high and who needs em, right?

You might also want to invest in some plastic wine glasses, and be sure there is a place to store a few bottles of wine. Again, I don't drink, but thats what it takes to have some female company. And while I'm content with my mangy old sleeping bag, with a towel for a pillow, the ladies expect some sort of sheets and an actual pillow (stain and odor free if possible...which, on a boat, can be quite a task).

To get my wife (now ex) to sail with me, I bought a Hunter Legend 35.5. It made her happy. But soon enough, I was back into a Paceship 30, and then a Pearson 30....those made ME happy.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:29   #50

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

There are lots of excellent old boats out there that will meet all your needs, including price. However, any money spent moving a boat, cross country or from anyplace far, is lost money. So your best bet is to shop local. See whats out there near where you live. You don't choose the boat...the boat chooses you!!!

Its good that you are open to lots of models, keep an open mind. I suggest looking at boats a little more expensive than you want, and make low offers. Its hard to sell an old boat.

When my kids were born, I sold my boat so I could spend more time at home. Soon I bought a little C&C25, so I could go sailing while waiting to buy a real sailboat. I had tons and tons of fun and adventures on that little boat. It cost next to nothing, was fun and easy to sail, and I learned lots...just like you want to do.

The important thing...get a boat...and get out there sailing. Life is short. Have fun. Be brave. Live large. I know you can do it!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:33   #51

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

I'm with you ,DDabs. Where's the refresh?
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 21:52   #52

Boat: 1982 O'day 30

There are many 80s boats out there in various stages of repair. I got a 1982 O'day 30 about 9 months ago and really am enjoying it. The boatyard had done the hard stuff like engine rebuild and some fiberglass work. I spend my time working on a few small projects like replacing house batteries, changing all lights to LEDs, etc. I'm not quite ready to get new sails but that could be a spring project. I'm still trying to decide how long I want this boat. I also have a 22' trailerable Venture/MacGregor in the back yard and a project boat (Soling) that needs major help. When I upgraded to the O'Day I realized how much more I needed to learn about tuning my boat coming from the humble Venture. I think you learn something new on every boat.
BarnaclePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:48   #53

Boat: Oyster 53

Check out the 18' Cape Dory Typhoon. It has a keel, but is small enough that if you make a change to rudder or sails, you immediately notice it, and you are not going to tip it over. You could keep it in a slip.

Glad to see a Cape Dory finally mentioned. I have never sailed before and just bought my first boat, a 1985 Cape Dory 25. I paid well under your limit of $10k. I consider myself very fortunate as even though she is 31 years old she has never been in the water. That's right, still sitting in her original cradle from Taunton Mass. The cushions are still in their original plastic, the sails are still pristine in their original bags, the standing rigging has never been stressed nor the chain plates. She is like a brand new "Old" boat. I bought her because of their reputation as a very strong, stable and forgiving boat to learn on. She has great classic lines and style. I don't know much about the Typhoon except it appears to be the same boat only smaller and perhaps more versatile. BTW I'm just south of you on the Northeast River of the Chesapeake.

Best of luck,
Ted
89zorro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:58   #54

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM

there was nice Cal 29 for sale out of RCR yachts Erie brokerage , very reasonable price, originally came out of the chesapeake. nicely maintained. and you could sail it there yourself this spring and save $$$ in delivery costs.
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:10   #55

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89zorro89 View Post

Glad to see a Cape Dory finally mentioned. I have never sailed before and just bought my first boat, a 1985 Cape Dory 25. I paid well under your limit of $10k. I consider myself very fortunate as even though she is 31 years old she has never been in the water. That's right, still sitting in her original cradle from Taunton Mass. The cushions are still in their original plastic, the sails are still pristine in their original bags, the standing rigging has never been stressed nor the chain plates. She is like a brand new "Old" boat. I bought her because of their reputation as a very strong, stable and forgiving boat to learn on. She has great classic lines and style. I don't know much about the Typhoon except it appears to be the same boat only smaller and perhaps more versatile. BTW I'm just south of you on the Northeast River of the Chesapeake.

Best of luck,
Ted
Wow! Welcome here and how did you fine a Cape Dory still in its original packaging? That's a collectible, like a Babe Ruth card still its package! I might even be hesitant to get it wet! Great boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:30   #56

Don C L... I fully intend to put her in the water come April. After all, a boat was built to be in the water not on the hard her whole life. She has suffered a bit of weathering on the deck and a new coat of anti-skid is over due but the teak restored beautifully. There aren't any forms of instrumentation on board so I have a clean slate to work with there. Very mush looking forward to Spring.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:32   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Don C L... I fully intend to put her in the water come April. After all, a boat was built to be in the water not on the hard her whole life. She has suffered a bit of weathering on the deck and a new coat of anti-skid is over due but the teak restored beautifully. There aren't any forms of instrumentation on board so I have a clean slate to work with there. Very mush looking forward to Spring.
Fascinating! What's the back story? Why did she end up sitting like that for 30 years?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:05   #58

Very good question.
The best I could tell from those I've spoken to is life and work got in the way for the original owner. Perhaps he was transferred to a non-sailing location and always hoped to get back the Chesapeake Bay area. He became ill at some point and passed away in 2011. The 2nd owner picked it up at an estate sale but already had another boat and just never got around to putting it in the water. So to my good fortune I get the pleasure.
Old 30-11-2016, 14:17   #59

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Very good question.
The best I could tell from those I've spoken to is life and work got in the way for the original owner. Perhaps he was transferred to a non-sailing location and always hoped to get back the Chesapeake Bay area. He became ill at some point and passed away in 2011. The 2nd owner picked it up at an estate sale but already had another boat and just never got around to putting it in the water. So to my good fortune I get the pleasure.
Does it have an inboard?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 14:24   #60

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have found that if you want your wife...or ANY female to sail with you, you had better have a pretty nice head with some privacy...
Consider a Bayfield 29. The head is actually located in the bow where the V berth usually is, and is large with lots of storage.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men