Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 14:07   #1

Another first boat question. Refreshments and hors d'oeuvres inside

I know you've seen this before. And I've read most of them. But this is MY boat.

Before we get to the boat, here is the longer term plan.

This will be my first boat and I am a new sailor. What I want out of this boat is a platform to learn. Ive taken some classes and sailed some (reas littlw) but I want to continue my sailing education, primarily singlehandedly, but also to teach my boys if they are interested. I'll spend some time out in rougher weather to get a feel for it and work on my weathered complexion. I want to find out what I like and don't like on a boat.

I also want to learn how to maintain the boat and overcome issues if they arise. Right now I'm reading Nigel Calder's book on diesel engines and expect to be able to tear into it to do what needs to doing to keep it running. I want to understand the electrical aspects as well and follow that up with structural, plumbing etc. I do alot of that stuff now at my home so it's an extension of what I already do.

I say all that, but I want my first boat to be pretty turnkey. Climb aboard and sail. The maintenance and whatnot is as needed, I'm not looking for a project. The systems are there for me to see, understand, maintain, and correct if needed.

I've read enough here to know that I definitely want to buy the refurbed boat rather than the cheapie that needs it.

I expect to own this boat for 2 years then sell for my cruising boat.

So, for the first boat my goals are, learn everything I can about sailing, spend days on it at away from land to determine MY seaworthiness, not put alot of money in, and in 2 years sell for about the same price.

The boat will stay in the water in the Philadelphia area. I expect to cruise up to NY, maybe Boston and down to the Chesapeake. I'm thinking 27-30ish feet, shallower draft for the Chesapeake. If I can keep it under $10k that would be great but not a necessity. Most of what I see there is early to mid 80's.

Just in looking online I've liked the Pearson, the S2, the Cal and a few others. I know this might sound weird but I've been avoiding Catalina and Hunter for no other reason than I like to dance to the beat of a different drum. But maybe in this case the name will help in resale.

So the goals are buy reasonably, learn alot about sailing and maintenance, use like it's a big boat, sell at about the same as buy. Knowing what you now know, where would you start?
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:47   #2

Re: Another first boat question. Refreshments and hors d'oeuvres inside

I know that this is an unfashionable answer, but I suggest starting with a reasonably fast racing dinghy, and sailing the hell out of it. Race it, play with, take it out in all weathers.

The advantage of a dinghy is that it provides much more direct and immediate feedback, and is less forgiving of errors. You can find its limits much more easily than with a keelboat, and you can learn much more, much faster than in a more sedate boat.

You don't need a fancy dinghy. Buy an old one, with tired sails and a battered hull, and use it lots.
TwoLegged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:57   #3

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

OK, it's the "wrong drum" but there are sooo many Catalina 27's & 30's on the market, reason being they built thousands because they were and are good.
Otherwise, reading your post, it all sounds like life is going to be pretty darn wonderful ( 97% of the time but you know that already).
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post

Just in looking online I've liked the Pearson, the S2, the Cal and a few others. I know this might sound weird but I've been avoiding Catalina and Hunter for no other reason than I like to dance to the beat of a different drum. But maybe in this case the name will help in resale.

So the goals are buy reasonably, learn alot about sailing and maintenance, use like it's a big boat, sell at about the same as buy. Knowing what you now know, where would you start?
All good boats. Given your goals, regardless of your different dance, a Catalina 30 would tick off ALL your boxes.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:10   #5

Good plan. I would second the Cat 30. Key to your plan is resale. Boats are not easy to sell. Anything you put into the boat you buy will not come back to you in most cases. Buy something that is useable when you buy it and be prepared to lose the broker's commission and any regular maintenance costs at least when you sell.
Having said that, a 30 footer is great to start. While you can learn some small nuances dingy sailing, it's really not a big deal for cruising.
But, the other option is to find one of the other type boats you list at less money than the Cat 30. If you spend $12k on a decent old Cat 30, or could spend $3500 on an old Pearson.... you could nearly give the Pearson away and not lose any more than you might on the Cat 30. Just a thought.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:11   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd have to agree, Cat 27 or 30 will likely have the best resale value.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:28   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

wait where are the refreshments
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:43   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
wait where are the refreshments
Inside - just step through the door over there =>
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:06   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

He said he didn't want a Catalina.

Get a boat with some character. Here's a good list to choose from:

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:17   #10

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLegged View Post
I know that this is an unfashionable answer, but I suggest starting with a reasonably fast racing dinghy, and sailing the hell out of it. Race it, play with, take it out in all weathers.

The advantage of a dinghy is that it provides much more direct and immediate feedback, and is less forgiving of errors. You can find its limits much more easily than with a keelboat, and you can learn much more, much faster than in a more sedate boat.

You don't need a fancy dinghy. Buy an old one, with tired sails and a battered hull, and use it lots.
+1 if you can sail a laser in high winds everything else will be a piece of cake!
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:19   #11

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Also you can buy and sell a dinghy in one season and not loose any money...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLegged View Post

Twolegged, I appreciate the response.

The right answer doesn't need to be fashionable.

If I were 28 I probably already would have done that. At 48 my future is a little closer and my needs are different than just getting out on a sailboat.

However, I do hope that my boys are interested enough to some dinghy sailing themselves.
Old 28-11-2016, 16:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
OK, it's the "wrong drum" but there are sooo many Catalina 27's & 30's on the market, reason being they built thousands because they were and are good.
Otherwise, reading your post, it all sounds like life is going to be pretty darn wonderful ( 97% of the time but you know that already).
Brian, thanks for the response.

Sometimes I can be reasonable and this may be exactly what I do because of my 2 year time frame.

And I can only wish 97% of my life were perfect.
Old 28-11-2016, 16:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He said he didn't want a Catalina.
Uhm, no, that's not what he said.

He said: " I know this might sound weird but I've been avoiding Catalina and Hunter for no other reason than I like to dance to the beat of a different drum. But maybe in this case the name will help in resale."

So, it's possible he'd consider one.

I agree with your idea of getting a boat with character, but he also said he wanted to only keep it for two years.

If he gets a production boat in good shape and uses it for two years, he'll be able to "get out of it" more likely.

If he gets the Pearson as Cheechako suggests, that would be another possibility, although he'd have to get a good price for a boat in good shape and then hope he could find a buyer or taker.

In any event, good luck to him.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
All good boats. Given your goals, regardless of your different dance, a Catalina 30 would tick off ALL your boxes.

Good luck.
Stu, thanks for the reply.

I'm sensing a trend.

Tags
men