Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 19:21   #31
cruiser

Re: Another Bene with broken rudder bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
What you mean ?
The monkey is off our back.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 19:25   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What is going on? Did some Hnter hater and Benie basher bash Smack?

Jim
Old 10-01-2015, 19:30   #33

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Care to enlighten?
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 19:33   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
Care to enlighten?
I don't know the details, but I've heard he's on several other forums and blogs bragging about his lifetime ban from CF.

IMHO... He earned it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 19:33   #35

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I guess a unlucky comment or post end with Smack baned from this fórum,sorry for him, nice guy , confused in many aspects , but oh well....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 19:57   #36
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Unfortunately, you're still here.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 20:06   #37

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

It's strange to me that any one can come up with a statement based on a assumption with out knowing the facts. Assume it was a soft grounding, I have no idea what that means this boat dose not have massive amount of boats with this issue that I am awear off so I don't know how it is a manufacture issue and I'f they have grounded maybe done it before that's speculation. But then I guess most of this is..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 20:38   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

All together then guys........

NOUS SOMMES SMACKDADDY (pour parler libre.) I'll get my coat.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 22:22   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If you have ever spent the night aground, inside a reef off the coast of Mexico, wondering if the boat will still be afloat in the morning, you will be glad that the boat, rudder and keel were built strong enough to handle the ordeal. Older boat with partial skeg and fin keel but it survived and we were able to kedge off on the next high tide.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:39   #40

Boat: Comet 41s

I guess you all are forgetting about this:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

And your point is???
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:50   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

Not Forgetting, just ignoring .... that was a typical post making uninformed statements about a a deck cleat pulling free and sinking the boat, made no sense at all.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:50   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
...had one of his threads closed down, and then challenged a number of different mods, even to the extent of putting disrespectful notes about them into his signature line. Don't know what caused the bans on SN but he's back on there now. His issues with CF seemed to focus on rude remarks about other members and general divisiveness,...

For those who admired & will miss him, there's a "Donate" button on his blog where you can send him money via Paypal. You can also buy various & sundry hats, t-shirts & cup holders with his logo printed on them simply by clicking them into your cart. If you really can't bear the loss, you can always go visit him over at SN & SA, unless of course he's been banned over there again.
Your last remark is particularly rude. I did not understood why his thread was closed. Besides being controversial never saw any special rudeness there, only different opinions and that it is about that a forum is about.

Regarding is signature line, never saw nothing regarding nobody in particular and if that was the case it certainly would not be allowed.

Never saw also any remarks that could be considered offensives and many have been rude to me. He had a particular style but the fact is that he was contributing actively to this forum and his threads were and are hugely popular. I will not comment moderation decisions more than you do, but I will have to say that I will miss him and it seems I am not the only one.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Not Forgetting, just ignoring .... that was a typical post making uninformed statements about a a deck cleat pulling free and sinking the boat, made no sense at all.
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps6fcacba7.jpg

No, it was not the cleat that sunk the boat but probably a broken hull/rudder on consequence of that. The boat moved back, the rudder went on the chain of the boat behind broke and those were the consequences.

Except that it should not have been like that. A modern Spade rudder (as well as a Skeg rudder) should be designed in a sacrificial way. It should broke and go to the bottom before the force applied to him broke the hull and sunk the boat. It seems to me that is what was starting to happen on that Beneteau, I mean a rudder breaking to save the hull:

The boat was grounded, the rudder was hit and face to the excessive force started to break. It seems to me those supports were designed to be the first thing to break. After that if the force continued the rudder would break at the point the supports were and would fall down, not compromising the hull.

The ones that say that the new repair was very well done seem not to understand that probably they transformed a sacrificial rudder in one that will sunk the boat if they have the bad luck of hitting at speed a container or a rock.

On the boat they said that after the grounding they had checked the rudder and all seemed to be all right. What kind of check was that that did not lead them to look at the interior of the boat, where the rudder support was damaged?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:09   #45

Quote:
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps6fcacba7.jpg

No, it was not the cleat that sunk the boat but probably a broken hull/rudder on consequence of that. The boat moved back, the rudder went on the chain of the boat behind broke and those were the consequences.

Except that it should not have been like that. A modern Spade rudder (as well as a Skeg rudder) should be designed in a sacrificial way. It should broke and go to the bottom before the force applied to him broke the hull and sunk the boat. It seems to me that is what was starting to happen on that Beneteau, I mean a rudder breaking to save the hull:

The boat was grounded, the rudder was hit and face to the excessive force started to break. It seems to me those supports were designed to be the first thing to break. After that if the force continued the rudder would break at the point the supports were and would fall down, not compromising the hull.

The ones that say that the new repair was very well done seem not to understand that probably they transformed a sacrificial rudder in one that will sunk the boat if they have the bad luck of hitting at speed a container or a rock.

On the boat they said that after the grounding they had checked the rudder and all seemed to be all right. What kind of check was that that did not lead them to look at the interior of the boat, where the rudder support was damaged?
When you look at the interior structure for the rudder don't you get the feeling that it is on the light side?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder