Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Annapolis Saillboat Show (monohull thoughts)

The multihull forum has an thread for thoughts on the Annapolis show, so I thought I would add one here. I really dived in this time - was there for 3 days. Originally I was planning on finally buying a boat this year, but life events have caused me to delay that, likely one more year.

My random thoughts:

Dufours are frustrating. They have an excellent layout and galley placement. Most of their Grand Large models now have a small BBQ grill, sink, and cutting board built into the transom (perfect for cleaning and grilling fresh fish), tucked away while sailing. But the quality of the cabinetry and finishings were rather poor. Some seats/doors etc didn't quite line up properly. I know that's all superficial, can be fixed, and has nothing to do with seaworthiness. But when the interior cabinetry is off, it gives you less confidence in the quality of everything else.

Jeanneau was just the opposite. I was impressed with the quality, but the layouts were bland. Everything felt tight and solid. This was in contrast to last years show, where I noticed lights were loose, the headliners were uneven, etc. Either that was a fluke, or they have really tightened things up. The DS 44 has a table that folds over the toilet, and it feels as solid as a rock.

For the last 3 days of the show, Bavaria stopped allowing people onboard their monohulls. Maybe they were sold? Even if they were sold, don't you still keep displaying them, especially that early in the show?

Both Dehler and Hanse quality was good. Unlike other builders, I like how the handhold rim around the edges of their galley tops was the same Corian material as the galley surface. Everyone else puts a wooden rim around it. I think those wooden rims will look very old-fashioned in the future, and they wear down much faster. I was very impressed with the ventilation in the Dehler, although they only had the 34 on display.

Wauquiez was strange. I have wanted to see one for so long, but there are hardly any in the US. So I was definitely interested to see their 48 on display. But above the steps to the boat was a sign saying "do not enter - by order of US Marshals". WTF?? There was a french guy on board who said sorry, but due to a lawsuit they aren't allowed to let people come aboard. Someone else at the show told me it was a dispute over ownership of that display yacht.

Elan Yachts were there, for the first time in 10 years, they said. I was impressed with the Elan Impression 45. It's a boat I didn't think much of when looking at it online, but it's one of those boats that impresses you much more when you actually see it.

Catalinas seem to be a good deal, and I love those catbird seats, not enough sailboats have those. But the interiors look rather dated and remind me too much of a motor home. It's cozy and at least gives you an alternative to the "Ikea" interiors of the European yachts, but just not my style.

Marlow-Hunter seemed to be a no-show. Maybe because of the hurricane? At least they weren't on Dock A, where they were scheduled.

Seaward and Island Packet were no-shows as well. Another salesman at the show told me they were in disarray after a millionaire bought both companies because he liked them so much, then put his young daughter in charge (I actually remember seeing her at last year's show) and now they aren't building a whole lot of boats.

Passport, Hylas, and Oyster were there and gorgeous, as usual. I didn't spend much time because the new models are out of my price range.

The Tartan 4300 - OMG that was gorgeous! And probably my favorite boat of the show, even though it could really use some salon windows, and I dislike those wooden handhold posts, they look like they would wear down quick. I also couldn't open up the cabinets, because the display model was privately owned (why do they always do that at boat shows?? If there is personal stuff in there, why don't they take it out? I want to see how much storage space there is!!). But anyway, the quality was incredible and the boat was stunning and very comfortable.

The Garcia 45 explorer is out of my price range, but it probably the strongest sailboat I've seen. It has an aluminum hull, and a companionway door that seals tight like a spaceship door. It also has excellent 360 view from inside like a catamaran.

In the brokerage cove there were some interesting yachts - one of them was a kind of odd custom build, a racing sailboat but with a fully finished interior like a high-end cruising yacht, and a lifting keel. I wish I took more notes there.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents and then some...
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:32   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Annapolis Saillboat Show (monohull thoughts)

Bavaria was sold to DuFour. Not sure what that means in the US. We only went on the Hylas' - we own a 44. Even they have stopped using real wood in most of the interior.

In the past, the Jeanneau have lacked adequate handholds. Also love the Tartans, but not the pricing. Their cockpit table design was horrible last I looked. Went on some Catalinas 2 years ago wand was very impressed with the layout/interior.

In the end, bought some LED nav lights, life jackets, foulies and galley ware.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:48   #3

There were some feds hanging out on the Wauquiez around mid-day Friday.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:10   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Reportedly the Bavaria mother ship served Bavaria USA with a notice on the first day of the show that they were terminating their agreement with no warning. I would guess the Bavaria boats there are caught in between and Bavaria USA either closed shop or refused to show the boats as a result.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:20   #5

Boat: shopping

I thought the southerly at the end of the docks was by far the nicest boat on display and I find the lifting keel intriguing . Although I did not look at oyster or the others that were way out of my price range. In the brokerage cove I loved the Amel. Thought the show was really nice was shocked that Island Packet was a complete no show.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:25   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

I went thru the same exercise as you in late 2010-early 2011.I looked at all the models and chose a Catalina 375 at the time to customize for off shore sailing. The thing with Catalina is they seldom change their "look" between years. In the end I chose Catalina for solid construction and value. I was lucky enough to see the construction in Florida and even chose some of the wood for my boat from their in house carpenter shop. Not sure if they still use real wood but in 2011 they did. So I got what I felt was a custom boat for the price of an off the shelf boat. My sails are larger, my rigging, mast is larger than spec, etc. I am very pleased 5 years later with the result of that customisation. At the time my #2 choice was a Tartan however the Tartan did not have the interior space to compare and was a bit more expensive. Just an opinion.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:44   #7

Thanks to everyone for the comments on the show! I couldn't make it. ;( Business issues, expletives deleted.
I was and still am sold on Island Packet. The 460 was my dream boat, and find it hard to believe so few were sold. I was at the mostly disappointing Miami show, and spoke to a harware vendor who felt IP was a victim of their own success. Their boats are so well built, that it was hard to sell new ones when so many really excellent used ones are on the market. Without Bob Johnson and crew, I wonder if any new builds will have the same attention to quality. I hope I'm wrong. I was told, by a broker, that a 460 was in build when IP went belly up, and the buyer would have to find someone to finish it.
With respect to the mass produced French boats, I find it hard to think of them without the words "cheap French plastic". I took sailing lessons on a brand new one several years ago, and while it sailed well, it was not live aboard material. Unsecured benches? Holding tanks above the water line?
I agree about duFour. I saw one in the Chicago show a few years ago, and was disappointed with the interior. I agree with the comment about Ikea interiors on some of the boats, especially the mass produced French boats. Again, not live aboard material.
Thanks for your thoughts, Rohan, and if you don't mind my 2 cents, think quality used boats. Just keep away from that Hylas I'm lusting after! I still to get that (expletives deleted) business stuff straightened out, then she will be mine! LOL
Buckanear Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:03   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Did Outbound make an appearance? I would love to see the new OEM hard dodger on their 46.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52   #9

Boat: Looking at 35-38' cruisers

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I went to the Newport, RI show looking at 35-41 import (modern) monohauls and these are my notes:

Dehler 38. Felt cheap quality inside: wood and hardware. Felt smaller than Dufour.
Hanse 41. Owner cabin too big. Nice quality.
Elan E4. Cheap hardware and wood inside. Smells a lot. Spartan? Less cruiser. Back stay in the way. Weird all around, especially inside materials. Mostly for racing?

Bavaria 41. Nice layout cabins bed and large door to aft storage.
Beneteau Oceanis 41.1 lovely. But creaky sole noise.
Dufour 382: awesome!
Sun Odyssey 389. Nice. Creaky flooring. Shower with toilet (but smaller 35 is separated!)

Also checked some cats. Bali 4.0 Lounge was very nice

Thanks.
Plutoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:55   #10

Outbound was there and the dodger looks great.

Not completely sold on the open transom / no bridge deck thing but otherwise my favorite boat at the show.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:01   #11

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Sorry, what do you mean by "no bridge deck thing"
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:20   #12

Did anyone get to look over the Gunfleet 58?
thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 15:18   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The multihull forum has an thread for thoughts on the Annapolis show, so I thought I would add one here. I really dived in this time - was there for 3 days. Originally I was planning on finally buying a boat this year, but life events have caused me to delay that, likely one more year.

My random thoughts:

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents and then some...
Great read, and I am sure many more than who commented, appreciate the effort you went to, to put your review up, so thanks on behelf of many.

I would have been interested to hear your thoughts about Beneteau, but to me that was the only brand conspicuous by its absence in your writing. Any reason? (yes we have one, and are happy for what we paid, but yes, there are always better .....).

We have yet to visit USA, but when we do, we will be sure to be there when we can see a boat show. I understood Annapolis was the biggest and best of them. Is that correct?
Thanks,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 19:27   #14

Boat: shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill View Post
Did anyone get to look over the Gunfleet 58?
skipped it, I was there Sunday, and there was a line all day long to board. I thought they went under.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 20:08   #15

Boat: Hylas 54

The outbound is a great boat and the hard dodger looks great. One of the best integrated designs for a herd top I have seen,akin to halberg rassy. We were tempted to pull the trigger on an outbound but decided to go bigger and ended up with a hylas 54 last year. Never a regret. But if you are looking in the mid forties range an Outbound is a sweet boat unless you can afford a Rustler....which looking at the exchange rate could be a deal!!!
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat show, hull, monohull, sail